Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 23, 2018, 03:21:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 92
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 16538 times)
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: February 10, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: February 10, 2008, 03:38:51 PM »

Translation of the above:

The Sopranos is about living Italian in New Jersey.
Many NJ italians have roots in NY.
Some Italians are crazy.
Italians have tried to increase their standing in society.
That depiction is captured perfectly in the Sopranos.

Now, in your erudite wisdom Kam, would you please describe to all of the assembled for the tv forum what it is about politicians in ARGENTINA to which martinbeck3 noticed there was a resemblence with The Sopranos. I MEAN, once we've got that down we'll know what to do with our left over Republican administration when all the fuss passes as they leave office and we can proceed with the real challenge.
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #992 on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:09 PM »

I have no clue regarding the politicians in Argentina and their relation to characters on the Sopranos but i'll take him it his word.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: February 10, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

Just hardly recovering from a Sopranos addiction I´ve come to realize that what I found so great about this series is that they guys are just like the politicians in Argentina.Did any of you noticed that about your country or is it totally different in the U.S.?

Martin, old friend, I guess that I must admit from the top that MrUtley and I do not or did not entirely agree as to what the Sopranos was about.  That's how we met, I linked to a New Jersey newspaper one day in total exasperation, well not total because I met a lot of nice wise guys at the nytimes.com blog on the subject but there were hundreds of dolts who have never lived Italian. I've told him before, I watched The Sopranos because I missed Jersey; after all I'd spent more than a quarter of my life there.

It's not that I adore New Jersey but if you want to meet a nice Italian girl that's where you go; it's a little more difficult to meet a nice Italian guy and besides it gets complicated because many New Jersey Italians were actually born in New York, on Mulberry street in the Village's Little Italy or maybe even Hackensack which is in N.J.  I also met old guys from Sicily who just got off the boat after they began working as a stoker when they were a young man and made the trip back and forth,back and forth, and then they stayed, moved into a nice location and bought property which they rented out and made more income, etc.

In New York, I had an Italian girl for a room-mate who came from Brooklyn, her parents from Puglia, not so nice. (How do you say crazy in Italian? I know, but do you?) Over the years, I've had friends and associates from Calabria,Sorrento,Florence, come to mind off the top of my head,who settled in the Midwest, or on the West Coast, as well as New York or Jersey, who were real painters like De Niro, real poets like Gregory Corso or Ferlinghetti, real craftsmen,like the Orlandini family,and real conscientious objectors  during the war before this one.

So, although the flaws do matter, particularly in politicians (and we have one or two in one branch of a our government at present who are particularly obnoxious,we have many more non-Italians in our government who are even more obnoxious.

But I guess why you notice the resemblence in Argentina probably has something to do with that the mafiosi depicted in The Sopranos are a political structure. Or, as a friend of mine (who spends a great deal of her life in Italy as well as New York and New Jersey) told me, "they" are a "sub rosa" government who function under the visible government of a country, who support it when they grease the works and expect their percentage in return when it is due. That's when they momentarily visibly rise to the surface. Some of the most famous "politicians" in history were Italians, sometimes in other countries, sometimes not.           

In Soprano-speak, I just wanna say: Ya tink you can fuckin' work any more fuckin' stereotypes and fuckin' narrow-mindedness into that fuckin' post, ya fuckin' fuck? I mean, what the fuck!!

That is all.

"In Treatment" is getting better. His wife did a number on him, eh? And she ain't done. Dude has some hang-ups about women---lots of anger there. Looking forward to Laura's visit on Monday.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #994 on: February 10, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

Listen, about the Normans...

So you think I don't know what I'm talking about? you talking to me?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #995 on: February 10, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »

Harrie, I watched about half as well. Then I woke up, and discovered what I'd done with the other half; slept through it. Not because it was boring; I tried to take time to watch it when I was too tired.  I just heard the punch line from the doctor, about the gymnast, as it ended for the week. So I want to catch up in the next four days, while also reading and any other demands have to be met.

If  you think that I was surprised by Connecticutt, by mistaken interpretation that since Lieberman is a silly putz -- there must be more like him, this pales in comparison to what the Bush's must think of what happened in Massachusetts.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: February 10, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

Changed my mind, going to watch the Heath Ledger film, The Knight's Tale, at 11:30 on TBS, after what everybody else had to say about it.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: February 10, 2008, 11:13:36 PM »

If  you think that I was surprised by Connecticutt, by mistaken interpretation that since Lieberman is a silly putz -- there must be more like him, this pales in comparison to what the Bush's must think of what happened in Massachusetts.

A lot of Connecticut people (I have never been able to bring myself to say Nutmeggers) wrote Joe L. off a long time ago, when he ran for VP -- when he basically abandoned his Senate seat to campaign, a bunch of pretty loyal constituents figured out very quickly exactly where they stood.  Now Joe has moved from New Haven to Stamford -- "to be closer to the kids" -- but as far as many are concerned, he might as well have moved to NY, since Fairfield County is unofficially annexed to NY.  JL is like a total non-entity to many people of my acquaintance; yeah, he's our Senator, but maybe we can change that the next time around.

Not to be oblivious, but what happened in MA? I've had the feeling that people who actually have reason to know Romney vote against him -- so did he lose?  Or do you mean that McCain came up pretty closely behind him?

And see if you notice Alan Tudyk in A Knight's Tale.   Or don't; but enjoy it anyway.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 11:21:01 PM by harrie » Logged
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: February 11, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »

Always found it interesting that the Arkansas side of my ex-family is solidly and strongly Clinton-hating.  So I'm familiar with that home state hate phenomenon.

BTW, hoorah for the writer's strike officially ending today.  The question I'm sure on everyone's mind is if the strikers have been writing material on their laptops on home to keep their chops up and all -- i.e. will there be material that can be swiftly brought out for shooting scripts and maybe, please god or pantheistic lifeforce or whomever, Abrams can get some more "Lost" eps shot by this spring so our season won't be quite so stunted?

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: February 11, 2008, 02:59:48 PM »

Harrie,

Is Tudyk's carrot top natural or what?  Frankly, the only thing that took some adjusting to -- was getting used to the idea that Paul Bettany was in the cast after having perceiving him as a homicidal maniac vicious British gangster some  years ago. Which was a shock in itself because he so much resembled musician,Gerry Mulligan.

But once realizing that is a  broad against character idea to have him play Jeff Chaucer in his countrified just traveling through twang, he really adds to A Knight's Tale, especially with the intros we became so used to on late night tv("He....re..'s Johnny!").   I can really see what Barton meant, I think it was Barton, about being pleasantly surprised at how well high-school athletic competition events home cheering section immediately kicks in as soon as the tournament is ready to begin. The detail involved in this by allowing the entire minor cast improvise at will for the camera to pick up in passing was like an in-joke about the dramatizations used on the History Channel.

Just between you and me, I consider that the actual background sets seen in distant camera  behind the tournament were spot on.  When they said, "Rouen" -- Rouen is what you got!

An unpleasant piece of casting was Ms. Sosossone(sic), I've probably got a vowel wrong, in clothing and hair styles she brought with her from Hawaii.   I was trying to imagine this discussion taking place in wardrobe? "Oh, never mind with that, I brought my own clothes. So much better fitting."  She was just a little bit too much like an Angelina Jolie body-double for Girl Interrupted. (tattoo and all, as I found on imdb).

In so far as being a clever romp through Mediaeval World for several fun guys, Will Thatcher's little troop of varlets  dispatched themselves quite a lot better than the young hero first discovered in Name of the Rose who has been over-acting since day one.

I suspect over time, I will get to see all the Ledger genre one by one.
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1000 on: February 11, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »

i.e. will there be material that can be swiftly brought out for shooting scripts and maybe, please god or pantheistic lifeforce or whomever, Abrams can get some more "Lost" eps shot by this spring so our season won't be quite so stunted?

I've heard different estimates re Lost. On a radio show I heard about a week ago, the announcer claimed that a friend of his was one of the striking writers (but not on the Lost staff). He said that his friend said that a show like Lost is extraordinarily difficult and time-consuming to make just because of the sheer logistics of filming so many scenes in Hawaii and in the jungle. He said that even if the strike were resolved immediately that the next new episode (after the eight already in the proverbial can) wouldn't be ready for airing until about mid-Summer and no way would ABC run a new ep at that time.

Then this morning the local ABC affiliate here reported during their entertainment segment that ABC hopes to crank out 5 more episodes (after the eight) before calling this season quits.

We'll see. The first explanation sounds as if it makes more sense, but I'll hope for the second one.

There are other series, though, like The Office, for example, that work on a quick turnaround. They reportedly can go from first cast read-through to air-time in about three weeks. They like to stay topical. It varies from show to show.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1001 on: February 11, 2008, 06:09:31 PM »

Earl, re:#989

You probably know all this already but, just in case, you can check these out for all the connections to C.S. Lewis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.S.Lewis

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108101/   Shadowlands

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1002 on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:07 AM »

In Soprano-speak, I just wanna say: Ya tink you can fuckin' work any more fuckin' stereotypes and fuckin' narrow-mindedness into that fuckin' post, ya fuckin' fuck? I mean, what the fuck!!

Thank you, MrUtley, I couldn't have said it better myself.

There's a good reason blah blah blah

Thanks, MrUtley. I enjoyed your response to Madame Madupont's
message so much that I posted it over in the Movie Trivia Forum.
In response to a message she dumped on me. Cheers. 

Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:32:59 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1003 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »

Earl, the first of your two prognostications does sound more reasonable.

If only "Lost" were a sitcom, perhaps titled "Jacob's Island," "Jack Loves Kate," or "Everyone Loves Hurley."   Or, if one wanted to work that big magnet theme for its comic potential, "Paradise Sucks."

Prison Break seemed to move along this week, which was good, as the "season" ends next week.  Credulity took a hard stretching last night, from the gunfire tape recording to the "crawling out under the trucks and hoping nobody every looks down" escape.   Next season looks like it might be rescuing Sucre, unless miracles develop next week.

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1004 on: February 12, 2008, 01:31:44 PM »

Next season looks like it might be rescuing Sucre, unless miracles develop next week.

In the last 10 minutes last night they may have set up the whole next season.  It went from relatively happy ending to shitstorm pretty quick. I don't expect the Whistler/Sucre storylines to be wrapped up next week.  Mahone is on the loose as well although I don't know why they need that character anymore.

Maybe next season Sucre and McGrady and Bellick, Luchero, and Teabag can try again.  Teabag has Whistler's bird book with the coordinates.  That little maggot just won't die.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 92
  Print  

Jump to: