Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
June 23, 2018, 03:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is the best show of the most anticipated new shows this fall?
Pushing Daisies
Private Practice
Bionic Woman
Chuck
Dirty Sexy Money
Back to You
Big Shots
Cane
Journeyman
Samantha Who?
Other

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 94
  Print  
Author Topic: Television  (Read 26018 times)
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1200 on: March 21, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

Sweet tip Earl. Next time I tape the show, it will be CC for sure. Live... I can't read and watch at the same time.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1201 on: March 21, 2008, 07:38:55 PM »

Sweet tip Earl. Next time I tape the show, it will be CC for sure. Live... I can't read and watch at the same time.

You're welcome.

Some quick googling informs me that this is not the first time "Slaughterhouse Five" has made it into the show. Apparently, the concept of being "Unstuck in time," Desmond's dilemma in "The Constant" episode, is explored in Vonnegut's book. I don't know that first-hand because I've never read the book, but I got it off a website. If I read it on the internet, it must be true, right?

I've been enjoying the running joke on the show about Sawyer always losing at whatever game is being played: poker with Jack, table tennis with Hurley, horseshoes with Hurley. Kinda sorta related to that (and from the same website I got the "Unstuck in time" bit above), I got this interesting tidbit:

What is the significance of the number 32? I believe Ben told Michael to use 325 to leave the island, on the panel of the helicopter it appears to read 32, and Miles asks for 3.2 million dollars. Is Miles working for Ben and said 3.2 million to give him the coordinates to leave the island, so Kate wouldn't know? I read this on Lostpedia : Sawyer sets up the game of backgammon with Locke incorrectly (whether intentionally or not). The column with 3 pieces should be 2 columns away from the median, not 3.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1202 on: March 22, 2008, 10:58:10 AM »

Earl, I find CC useful at times -- wish I'd had it on when the Vonnegut thing was mentioned -- I just heard "Vonnegut" and sort of figured there might be a S5 connection, given Billy Pilgrim's jumping around in time/space.  What would be REALLY WEIRD is if, some episode, someone is just reading something or hearing something on tv that ISN'T loaded with esoteric meaning.  The thing is, dedicated fans would find something even there.  Juliet could be reading an Anne Tyler novel and 46,000 Lost fans would pick that apart until they found SOMETHING. 

Re

"Do you mean after the plane crash which should have killed everyone on Flight 815?"

You do sort of hit the nail right on the head.  Here we have an episode that reminds us overtly, "the island won't let you die," and of course the series pilot throws us 40-plus cases in support of the theory.  Of course, the island can't keep you from getting sucked into a turbine engine.  Or perishing from grievous injuries.  The overall sense is that the island has a way of nudging you around in time and space just a bit so that you can narrowly avoid being torn up, crunched, etc.   If you're the right sort of person. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1203 on: March 24, 2008, 12:19:38 PM »

Just wanted to let Harrie know, and all others who tried to follow or figure out Damages with Glenn Close, that  little man who knew all the secrets of the plot, Zelijko Ivanek, is a featured actor in the now running HBO series: John Adams.

Tell you what, he looks much better as an 18th.century person. It is his era, he more than fits right in but is an outstanding character with his usual cranky behavior.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1204 on: March 25, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »

Mention of "Amsterdam" series here reminded me that the only other immortal human series I know of was also pretty bad:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0065303/

As I dimly remember this short-lived series (15 episodes), it was mainly an excuse for lots of car chases and fights, as the immortal guy (Chris George) was constantly on the run from an evil rich guy who wanted to suck out his blood and use it for himself.

obertray

« Reply #1205 on: March 25, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »

Rose is back?!

I have to say (well I don't have to but...) Two and A Half Men is still the best comedy on TV (in my very unscientific estimation). The acting in this show is just great and the writing is sharp as it ever was (perhaps even sharper). The kid is going up to be pretty much the pain in the ass that he was destined to be. What was cute when he was a little kid, just isn't now. he doesn't asked to be loved and won't make himself lovable, he just expects the world to revolve around him, like it's supposed to do.

The brothers have gotten beyond their sibling rivalry and their cross purposes and have moved into an acceptance of the world as it is. A more dislikable bunch I can't quite imagine although there have been several ensembles that I have liked much less. And yet, they play off each other beautifully.

Rose was always one of my favorite characters (the wacky neighbor taken to a new height and played by a girl who is neither stupid, nor annoying, nor ugly, nor strident)  and I was sad to see her go (it might be remembered by some that I opined that that cross country race show was going to have four flats by the time it left the Jersey Shore) and I would be very glad to see her back on a regular basis.

I also enjoy the (apparently unenjoyed) other Lorre show The Big Bang. Again, a clever cast of character actors that plays as much on physical comedy as on dialog (perhaps more).

Gotta go, but... also watched a few How I met Your Mother now that it is between the 2 above... it's OK, I've seen better...
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1206 on: March 25, 2008, 11:12:37 AM »

Although this season's vampirish Moonlighting -- not so bad -- anyone know what's what with that?

Don't dance on a volcano...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1207 on: March 25, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »

Haven't heard -- a lot of shows ran out of pre-Strike shows and went on hiatus.  Some are returning in April with a few post-Strike eps, but I don't know if Moonlight is one of them.

I watched The Big Bang Theory for the first time a week or two ago and was much surprised, pleasantly.  One of the more inventive sitcoms I've encountered -- and I generally avoid sitcoms like the plague.  In having PhDs who stumble with their social adaptation, it reminded me a little bit of Third Rock.

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1208 on: March 25, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

Frontline was great last night. Looking forward to part 2.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1209 on: March 28, 2008, 11:02:47 AM »

For anyone in need of a dose of "Lost" madness....

I did some analysis on the numbers last night, just for fun.  These odddities popped up:

HANSO -- using a basic numerology grid (in which each letter has a single digit value assigned), the name produces this string:

8 15 16

You will note that the entire string is 4 8 15 16 23 42, so "Hanso" yields terms 2 thru 4

Terms 2-6 yield a 9-digit zip code around Grand Junction, CO.

Take the series as summed pairs, we get a date:  12-31-65  If anyone knows of some significance here, please let me know.

Take the series as the sum of two triads, you get:   27, 81, or 3 cubed and 3 to the fourth power!

Finally, the differences between terms:  4 7 1 7 19   -- note that the first four terms equal the final term!

Finally, the central pair (15,16)  sums to 31, as do the two terms around that pair (8, 23).

Earl

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1210 on: March 30, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »

For anyone in need of a dose of "Lost" madness....

I did some analysis on the numbers last night, just for fun.  These odddities popped up:

HANSO -- using a basic numerology grid (in which each letter has a single digit value assigned), the name produces this string:

8 15 16

You will note that the entire string is 4 8 15 16 23 42, so "Hanso" yields terms 2 thru 4

Terms 2-6 yield a 9-digit zip code around Grand Junction, CO.

Take the series as summed pairs, we get a date:  12-31-65  If anyone knows of some significance here, please let me know.

Take the series as the sum of two triads, you get:   27, 81, or 3 cubed and 3 to the fourth power!

Finally, the differences between terms:  4 7 1 7 19   -- note that the first four terms equal the final term!

Finally, the central pair (15,16)  sums to 31, as do the two terms around that pair (8, 23).

I was with you all the way to Colorado and then you, uh...nah, too easy.

You're obviously missing your Thursday night mind-scramble, Barton, so you've taken to doing it to yourself. Be careful with that.

For a different kind of Lost numbers grid, here are the results of that Lost-Madness contest held by The Washington Post a few weeks back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/television/features/2007/lost-central/lost_madness.html

Desmond defeated Sayid in the final.

Jack, Kate, Locke, Sawyer, Hurley, Sun, Juliet. None of them even made the final four.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1211 on: March 30, 2008, 08:32:25 PM »

HALF HOUR NOTICE:  THE TUDORS, SHOWTIME
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1212 on: March 31, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »

Earl, I recovered shortly after posting the numbers analysis -- it was sort of a like a heavy drinker in Des Moines waking up in a brothel in Tangiers, handcuffed and covered with cling wrap and blood, realizing he needs to get on the wagon right away.  I still think the HANSO thing is kind of cool, though.

CSI is making its post-strike return this week, btw, so there's something to watch Thursday nights.  I never watch it regularly, but I still like it on occasion.

obertray

« Reply #1213 on: April 01, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »

The Big Bang Theory was laugh out loud funny last night.

The device was that Sheldon got sick, as he's calling for help Leonard is running down the hall trying to put his pants on and get out before he's stuck helping him (BTW, do we all know that Sheldon and Leonard are named in tribute to the great Sheldon Leonard, I didn't get it until I read the vanity card... hangs head in shame) great sight gag.

Then the scene with Wolowitz's mother and him yelling is good enough, but when Wolowitz gets Sheldon off the phone by pretending to be his mother, just great!

Ok ok ok ok then Leonard, Wolowitz and Koothrapali are hiding out at a Planet Of The Apes marathon and show up wearing ape masks. Funny, but then Penny (grrrrrrrr) calls, Leonard has to lie, funnier, then Leonard feels guilty and in running his fingers through his ape hair, funniest!

From there the show calmed down but with some real good filler that would take me longer to run through than it took to watch. One more good laugh though as the three guys try to sneak in and out of the apartment, when Penny catches them Wolowitz and Koothrapati beat feet in one more good sight gag laugh! 

At least four good laughs and lots of chuckles on the way, oh yeah "I think I owe the Betty Crocker people a letter of apology." Lots of good chuckles!

Skipped through How I met, noticed the morph technique that 2 1/2 Men use to update the beginning with Jake's growth. Otherwise it was good, but only good. Still, good.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1214 on: April 07, 2008, 11:25:11 AM »

Dang, I missed it.  One of the few good sitcoms, TBBT.

Haven't watched much tv lately, but am sort of getting sucked into "Dexter" which has been running (the last season) on CBS on Sunday evening.   Uses the notion of being a "good guy" kind of psycho as a sort of metaphor and sly joke, for the psycho in question, (Michael Hall, formerly the gay mortician of SFU) as one watches a while , proves to be sweet and sensitive and not nearly as "empty inside" as he is forever claiming to be.  Dexter is a forensic scientist who specializes in blood for the Miami-Dade PD, while pursuing an off-duty hobby of eliminating truly evil people from the planet.   Part of the show's wit is the way in which Dexter is shown to be a rather ordinary nice guy and how much of his responses are really very typical guy responses to emotionally complex situations -- IOW, we guys tend to think and act like sociopaths more than we'd care to admit.   A truly original and often mordantly funny show, which does a superb job of turning almost every forensic drama cliche sideways and shaking it around a little.

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 94
  Print  

Jump to: