Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Fitness and Nutrition  (Read 11965 times)

barton

Re: Fitness and Nutrition
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 04:36:10 PM »

MOVING CHAT ABOUT PLACES WITH MOST CENTENARIAN POPULATION OVER HERE...

Loma Linda is on that centenarian list IIRC because of its large 7th Day Adventist population.   They are vegan health nuts, big on walking and biking, and quite long-lived.  Okinawa is on the list because it has a similar culture of good dietary measures and everyone walks/bikes.  Same for the Greek and Italian islands.   And all those places respect old people and allow for them to have meaningful roles in their communities and good social networks.   

Short list:

Kill your car.
Mediterranean or Japanese diet,  lots of omega-3 fatty acids,  little red meat
Increased healthy gut flora (kefir,  yoghurt,  kimchi,  etc)
Tree nuts and seeds (especially walnuts,  almonds, chia seeds)
Multigenerational neighborhoods with loose social boundaries between
Low diesel soot (this is turning out to be more important than anyone imagined)
Optimism
Tolerant view of others (and fuck off,  if you disagree with this)
Sense of humor (example shown above)
Swearing (I kid you motherfuckers not -- studies consistently show link between swearing and longevity)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2021, 03:52:24 PM »

Here are some thoughts about the Italians, and the fact that they live longer and healthier lives, etc.

The Italians do not just live longer lives, they live fuller and richer lives.

And they drink lots of red wine, and some smoke hashish.

Food is not just to feed your body in Italy, they make the whole meal into a wonderful experience, the food is wonderful, the wine flows, and everyone has a great time at dinner, and dinner lasts for about 2 hours. 

And they have public art, statues, opera, and on and on.

The Italians love life, and they love each other, and they love the tourists, Italy is great. 

We have a lot of Italian Americans in the USA, including in New York, and the Italian Americans have contributed greatly to the success of America, and the USA needs to continue to learn from Italy.

And when we build a public post office here in the USA, we should not build just some boring building, we need to build fantastic buildings that we can enjoy and be proud of. And we need to have courtyards with water fountains here in the USA, etc. 

We need to improve the whole experience of life, we need to kick it up a notch.

And it is not just about getting rich and sitting around by yourself, it is about being a part of your community, and enjoying life with your community, and it is about the people in your life. Instead of hiding behind walls, the Italians meet in the courtyard in the evenings. Italians love to socialize with other people, they love people. 

Here in the USA in Little Italy in New York City, Tony Danza hangs out at his historic cheese shop and he greets his fans and he hangs out with the people, he did not get rich and go hide, Tony Danza hangs out with his fans at his cheese shop. That is the Italian way.

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/1/14463410/little-italy-nyc-cheese-shop-tony-danza

And remember the story about the Roseto Effect, and the fact that socializing and having human connections helps people to live longer and healthier lives. Having good friends who you spend time with not only makes you happier, but you will live longer. 

I spent 6 weeks in Rome, I lived on Via Urbana across the street from the Saint Louis College of Music, and it was awesome, and I fell in love with the people of Rome, I became friends with the whole neighborhood. I wanted to stay in Rome, and I planned to move back to live as soon as I could.

I would love to live in Italy. 

We can learn a lot from Italy.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »

The 18 Day Mushroom and Dam Water Diet is a fairly grueling one....

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/australia-mushroom-intl-scli/index.html

barton

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2021, 03:15:27 PM »

The 365 day Count Chocula diet,  however,  is wonderful.

It's spooky-licious!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2021, 07:16:08 PM »

If I open a night club in Rome, then I will for sure have burgers on the menu.

I can have Hawaiian Burgers with pineapple with teriyaki sauce, and I can have California Burgers with avocado, etc.

My doctor does not like for me to eat too many burgers, but they are nice every once in a while, the key is moderation.

And I went to the Texas Cattle Company in Lancaster, California, with my Mom and her husband Chuck and we had burgers, oh, those are great burgers, that place has wonderful burgers. I had the Outlaw Burger. It was a nice treat. It was a huge burger served on a French roll with tons of pastrami and cheese, it is a great burger. I will have to put those on my menu.

I could have a Santa Fe Burger on the menu at my club which could be a burger with jalapeno peppers and pepper jack cheese and spicy western barbecue sauce.

There are a lot of cool things I could do.

The White House restaurant in Lancaster has the best Patty Melts, which is a grilled burger on rye with melted swiss cheese and caramelized onions, they are great. I would have to have Patty Melts on my menu at my club, for sure.

And I can steal some ideas from the menu at The World Famous Oki-Dog in Hollywood, it is a famous hangout for musicians in Hollywood. One idea to put on the menu is their Oki-Dog, which is two hot dogs on a huge tortilla with pastrami and cheese and chili, they are great.

Here is the menu at Oki-Dog...

http://www.oki-dog.com/menu.html

And here is the Punk band Youth Gone Mad doing a song about Oki-Dog...

https://youtu.be/nXA0_lqx6hU

If I open my club in Rome, I want to be right by the Saint Louis College of Music on Via Urbana and I want for the music students to jam at my club, and the students can use my club as a hang out. And I will always feed the students if they end up poor and starving, I will feed the students at my club, they can always get a meal from me.

Here is a link for the music school in Rome...

https://www.saintlouiscollege.eu/saint-louis/

And for sure I will serve steaks at my club, New York Strips, Rib Eyes, Filet Mignon, T-bones, etc.

I will also have Mexican food, tacos, burritos, etc.

I will have a great menu.

And I will hire the most beautiful women in Rome to work at my club, and I will pay them well and treat them great so that all of the beautiful women will want to work at my club.

It would be great to own a night club in Rome.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

barton

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »

Health regimen + great Seinfeld moment...

https://youtu.be/S5EGn9x5vJY

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2021, 02:13:13 PM »

World Famous Oki-Dog

2h  ·

The scene at Oki-Dog was big enough to attract people from way outside the community. “Andy Warhol showed up at Oki-Dog,” recalled Jordan Schwartz, cofounder of the zine We Got Power Films. “He was taking pictures. And those pictures actually ended up in Interview magazine.”

~

A well-documented and in-depth look at Oki-Dog’s history written by Leor Galil

Click the link below to read the whole article.

~

Title:

“We’ll see you all at Oki-Dogs”: The story of L.A.’s legendary punk hangout (with hot dogs)

~

Author:
Leor Galil
Illustration:
Karl Gustafson Illustration

https://thetakeout.com/we-ll-see-you-all-at-oki-dogs-the-story-of-l-a-s-le-1846561092

-------------

Oki Dog is great, and you never know who you will see there. A lot of famous people, especially musicians, go there.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2021, 09:58:25 PM »

Italy is probably ok if one is Roman Catholic and loves the Pope and Vatican.
Italians...mmm...like the ones born in bambuland who only ever call themselves 'Italian', and cheer for Italy against the Socceroos?
Greeks...mmm...like the ones born in bambuland who only ever call themselves 'Greek', and cheer for Greece against the Socceroos?

Ah yes, 'tolerance'.
Does that include tolerance of all things "radical Islam"...like 'Christian-haters', 'Islamic State-ilk', 'death to America [and her allies]' clerics?

Does that include China and its 'foot soldiers of hate'?
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Researchers have found what appears to be the cause of Parkinson's
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2021, 11:17:21 PM »

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2021-07/uoc--urp070921.php

A blocked passage where mitochondria normally would pass.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »

If you open a restaurant and if you serve Dip Sandwiches at your restaurant, then remember to serve the Dip Sandwiches on hard bread, the purpose of dipping the sandwich in the au jus is to soften the hard bread. If you go to a restaurant and someone serves you a French Dip Sandwich, or a Mexican Dip Sandwich, then the sandwich needs to be made with hard bread, and you soften the hard bread by dipping it in the au jus as you eat it. If they serve you a French Dip Sandwich on soft bread then they are doing it wrong.

Salute,

Tony V.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/health/austria-surgeon-fine-amputation-scli-intl/index.html

This does solve the classic problem of how do you buy just one shoe. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Holly Martins

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2021, 07:12:33 PM »

Answer to omitted president puzzle in National/Biden thread.

Van Buren
Buchanan
Pierce
Tyler
Arthur
Hayes
Carter
Ford
(Trump and Biden omitted due to puzzle publication date)

Common feature: historically rated as ineffectual (some also rated as just bad, but it is ineffectual that is the key criterion for this group...note that Nixon got stuff done, awful as he was, which is why he is not among the omitted.  Ditto Harding.)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2021, 11:38:57 PM »

Answer to omitted president puzzle in National/Biden thread.

Van Buren
Buchanan
Pierce
Tyler
Arthur
Hayes
Carter
Ford
(Trump and Biden omitted due to puzzle publication date)

Common feature: historically rated as ineffectual (some also rated as just bad, but it is ineffectual that is the key criterion for this group...note that Nixon got stuff done, awful as he was, which is why he is not among the omitted.  Ditto Harding.)

And Fillmore?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2021, 01:27:35 PM »

Yeah, Fillmore would be a candidate for unmemorable term.  My guess is that the puzzle format had room for thirty (?) and the author had to be a little arbitrary on who made the cut.  Fillmore achieved The Compromise of 1850, which was seen as a big deal at that time. 

What always impresses me is the very short term of James A. Garfield, who left a real legacy of progressive and anti-corruption policy in just a few months before dying of his gunshot wound. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6