Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mental Health and Treatment  (Read 17399 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Mental Health and Treatment
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 04:48:03 PM »

UNICEF

16 hours

When I was 13, I had stepped into a different world. A world where adults in charge of your care have unchecked powers over you, says 30-year-old Lea from Belgium as she looks back on her experience at a mental health institution.

Instead of studying and playing with her friends, Lea spent her days isolated and medicated.

I took my pills like I had to. And I just factored in that if I was too upset, I would be injected [with] a powerful drug and then tied to my bed for a while.

After her time in the institution, Lea had forgotten how to live in society. She no longer felt comfortable at home, school or spending time with her peers.

Mental health institutions are not only fertile ground for human rights violations, they also sever social ties. For young people, this initial removal from society can be the beginning of a lifetime of isolation and exclusion.

Today, Lea is on a mission to ensure this does not happen to another young person. 

These systems should foster inclusion rather than isolation and work with children, not against them. Deinstitutionalization and community-based support will be key in achieving this.

Governments must shift mental health care from institutions to community-based services, in order to provide humane, accessible and non-stigmatizing support for children, parents and caregivers during and beyond COVID-19.

#OnMyMind

----------

There is Mike Muir and the band "Suicidal Tendencies" which has a gang for youth who have had issues with institutions and with Mental Illness, sometimes the youth can relate to other youth who have suffered from the same problems. The gang has over six million members world-wide. Sometimes music can bring the youth together with other youth.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2022, 08:28:27 PM »

Vice President Kamala Harris

1 hour

The mental health of nurses, doctors, and hospital staff is deeply connected to the health and wellness of our communities. That is why our Administration has invested more than $100 million to expand mental health resources, including funding for health care organizations to create evidence-based programs around mental health and wellbeing for their employees.

----

We have a huge shortage of Psychiatrists here in California, and here in Anaheim, we need to train way more Psychiatrists, we need to invest in training Psychiatrists.

We can help to train Psychiatrists in San Diego, San Diego has a great college where they train Psychiatrists.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2022, 12:46:07 AM »

1 hour

The mental health of nurses, doctors, and hospital staff is deeply connected to the health and wellness of our communities. That is why our Administration has invested more than $100 million to expand mental health resources, including funding for health care organizations to create evidence-based programs around mental health and wellbeing for their employees.

----

We have a huge shortage of Psychiatrists here in California, and here in Anaheim, we need to train way more Psychiatrists, we need to invest in training Psychiatrists.

We can help to train Psychiatrists in San Diego, San Diego has a great college where they train Psychiatrists.

Only if you can find people who want the job, Tony.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2022, 03:29:07 PM »

1 hour

----

Only if you can find people who want the job, Tony.

I think some reasons behind the shortage of Psychiatrists are the long time that it takes to train to become a Psychiatrist, and also the high cost of an education. If we made it easier to become Psychiatrists then we would have more Psychiatrists, and the best way is to remove the high cost and we can give the students a free ride through college if they become Psychiatrists and if they serve our communities.

With the Wellness Centers and with the Homeless Shelters, we can get workers by training the people after they get help. There is a famous lawyer in Southern California who is mentally ill and is on medication, and he says "Hire Big Lou, he is on meds too." People who are helped can rise to work at the Wellness Centers, and at the Homeless Shelters, etc, and some people even rise to become lawyers like Big Lou. I am sure many people who are helped can rise to become Psychiatrists if we make it possible for them.

I have a friend who is a Psychiatrist at the Mental Health Association in Santa Ana, her husband is an actor and he was in the Lion King on Broadway, she is from Vietnam, she is a great Psychiatrist and she helped me a lot when I needed help. There was a thrift store next to the MHA and she and I went to the thrift store and we helped each other pick out clothes, it was fun. She gave me a lot of good advice. We need more great Psychiatrists like her, she is wonderful, and she has been serving the community for over 20 years.

Everyone thinks that Psychiatrists make the big bucks, but we need for people to be motivated by the desire to help other people instead of being motivated by money. If we send the people to college for free, and give them a free ride, then we can give them a path where they do not need to be motivated by money.

We can also use the Entertainment Industry to show people who are working as Psychiatrists in a good light, instead of just bad people like Nurse Ratchet in "One Flew Over The Cukoo's Nest" and other bad characters like that. We need to show wonderful little sexy Psychiatrists like my friend from Vietnam who works at the MHA. We need for the Entertainment Industry to show good people who are Psychiatrists.

The whole issue of Mental Health has a bad stigma, and we need to change that, Mental Illness can happen to anyone, and we need to have a better view of workers in the Mental Health Industry, and we need good guys like Big Lou to become Lawyers and to show that Mental Illness is not a life sentence.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:32:55 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »

I think some reasons behind the shortage of Psychiatrists are the long time that it takes to train to become a Psychiatrist, and also the high cost of an education. If we made it easier to become Psychiatrists then we would have more Psychiatrists, and the best way is to remove the high cost and we can give the students a free ride through college if they become Psychiatrists and if they serve our communities.

We can make it cheaper, but I don't think we want to make the educational/professional aspect of it easier. We already have a hard time finding competence in the non-meds aspects of the jobs.

Any medical condition that is out of the ordinary takes way too much explanation and education of the doctor and too often without curiosity on their parts.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2022, 04:23:35 PM »

I sent my ideas to our Vice President, and to the Pope, telling them that we need to remove the high cost of an education for people who choose to become Psychiatrists.

And you are right Josh, they are not going to rise to a level of greatness if they are not personally motivated and if they are not curious for the purpose of helping the people. We need to train people who are passionate about helping people.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »

As we look for youth to send to college for free to become Doctors, and Psychiatrists, etc...

We can find out in 6th grade how their aptitude is, and we can take them as far as they can go, and some students are going to go way ahead of the other students, and then as they get way ahead those students can work as student aids to help the teachers to teach the other students. The aids get a sense of what it is like to serve other people with their gift of high aptitude. And they are doing it all for free, their only motivation is to help to teach the other students. We can take those students, and we can give them a free ride through college so that they can become Doctors, and Psychiatrists, we know that those are smart people who are going to use their gifts to help people, and we know they are not motivated just by money.

We can also find people who serve people for free with Kiwanis, and with the YMCA, and with Youth For Christ, and with other charities. If the people are doing public service for free then those are the people who we want to send to college for free to become Doctors, and Psychiatrists, etc.

We need the best and the brightest to become Doctors and Psychiatrists, and along with that we need for them to love to serve other people and to be service motivated.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 03:05:04 PM »

Weingart Center

2 minutes

We are here to help. If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless, visit us in person at our Access Center in #DTLA or call us from M-F, 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM.

Regular business hours: (213) 833-5020

After hours: (213) 627-5302

https://www.weingart.org/access-center

--------------

For the homeless, and for those at risk of becoming homeless in Los Angeles.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 03:09:20 PM »

Kiwanis International

1 hour

Kiwanis is serious about youth protection.

That is why we have created a toll-free, confidential helpline that can be used 24 hours a day by Kiwanis family members and the youth we serve. To access the U.S. helpline, call 866-607-SAFE (7233).

------------

A young gentleman came to me for help on Facebook last night, so I gave him the number for the Kiwanis helpline. The number is there for anyone who needs help.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 03:11:12 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2022, 07:15:53 PM »

Hi this Kathy from M.H.A KEEP IT SIMPLE THRIFTH STORE (Mental Health Association Thrift Store)
At 2416 south Main Street Santa Ana California 92707.
I know its been awhile since I've been on Facebook with freands.
Well I need help for or homeless and the Thriftstore
Mans pants shirts shoes jackets
Women pants shirts tennis shoes
Backpacks Roolaway luggage
Blankets
Phone (714)424-9111
Store hours mon/fri
8:00am to 3:45 pm

-----------------

The MHA Thrift Store helps the homeless and the mentally ill, they give the homeless free furniture when they get housing, and they feed the homeless, and they help to sign people up for the government benefits, etc, and for the local charities, etc. They are also connected to group homes for the homeless, where the homeless are housed and fed, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »

CASA of Orange County - Court Appointed Special Advocates

Great news! CASA OC is HIRING! If you have a desire to help children who have experienced abuse, neglect, or abandonment, consider becoming a part of our team.

Learn more at: https://www.casaoc.org/career

-----------------

I met a representative from CASA when I was in Kiwanis International, and she explained the program to us, and CASA is a great program. I support CASA and I support helping our foster youth

The City of Anaheim owns Angel Stadium, so the City can use the Stadium whenever we want, and I have a friend from Kiwanis who ran for Mayor of Anaheim, and she said that if she won as Mayor that I could produce a concert at Angel Stadium to help the foster children of Orange County, we could raise money for CASA, etc, and my friend said that she has always wanted to do something like that. Gwen Stefani is from Anaheim and I am sure she would sing to help the foster children, and we could get the Red Hot Chili Peppers who live local, and we could broadcast the concert on television and we can have a telephone number where people can donate to help the foster children. They can have the whole idea for free and I do not need any money if I were to organize the event and put the event together, it would all be about helping the foster youth. But, my friend lost as Mayor, she did not win sadly.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 03:52:39 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2022, 01:27:07 PM »

One thing that I can relate to on the issue of helping the Foster Youth, is that after my Father died when I was 9 years old, I had step fathers who wanted my Mother, but they did not want us kids. I lived with people who did not want me there. I know how it feels to be unwanted.

And then, when the Foster Youth grow up, they end up homeless on the streets because they never learned how to make money and how to provide for themselves. The streets are full of Foster Youth who aged out of the system without learning how to make money.

The Foster Youth need to have people who care about them, and the Foster Youth need to be taught how to do business and how to make money.

One example from my life so far as helping the poor youth, I took a Small Business Management Consulting class in community college, and we trained on how to go in and help to save a business that is having problems, we trained on how to go in and how to turn around a struggling business and how to make them successful. The professor was a Black man and he went into Compton and he taught the young men of Compton how to do business, and he helped them to secure a loan with the Small Business Administration, and he helped them to become successful, and then after they all succeeded they took a trip to Africa together to celebrate. But, the training is not just for Black Youth, it could be used to help the Foster Youth just as easily.

We need to care about the Youth, and we need to help them. And the streets are full of Foster Youth right now.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2022, 01:47:01 PM »

The largest buyer of goods and services in the world right now is the Unites States Government, and there are special programs to help the Minorities to open small businesses to support Government programs, etc, and the SBA will help, etc.

The SBA also will work with HUD to build housing, and the Minorities can get the contracts to build the housing.

We need to make sure that the Foster Youth get the same opportunities that the Minorities get. The Foster Youth need to have help joining SBA programs, and the Foster Youth need access to the HUD contracts to build housing, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2022, 04:24:27 PM »

In some cases while our suffering has been felt by others as well, and our suffering unites us, that is why we love poetry and sad movies like "Beaches" and "Steel Magnolias." But we should never get stuck dwelling on our suffering, we need to rise above that. We need to move forward.

And I support being able to go out and learn whatever it is we want to learn, and being able to live and work wherever we want at the work of our choice.

The main thing in life is Love, and that is what my poetry is about, and that is what my movies are going to all be about, I love the love stories. Both of my Grandmothers on both sides of my family read Romance novels, so I read hundreds of paperback Love stories. Love is what life is all about, and that fuels my poetry and my writing.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5