Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 24, 2018, 01:53:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 35856 times)
Eva

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2415 on: June 17, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

Kit-
I've recently finished S. Rushdie's "Enchantress" and found it to be magical, imaginative, and amazing;  Rushdie's prose seems ever so effort-less.  But it still doesn't quite reach the apex of "Midnight's Children"...   
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2416 on: June 18, 2008, 01:10:56 AM »

My older daughter's reading Rushdie, younger daughter's reading Allende with Hosseini on deck, and I'm into Coll's The Bin Ladens  Wonder if we'll talk books on vacation in Kauai or just vegetate in the vegetation on our family vacation.  (First one with son-in-law in the mix, but he's mellow, has skills of various kinds and a good sense o' humor, so all should be well.) 

« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 01:25:29 AM by nytempsperdu » Logged
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2417 on: June 18, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »

Reading is good on the flight over, but I'll be surprised if (all) your noses are in books during the daylight hours while there.  Beauty everywhere !  Enjoy, enjoy!

Don't dance on a volcano...
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2418 on: June 18, 2008, 10:51:27 PM »

A family vacation? Egad! That's something I've never thought of. I thought the whole point of a vacation was to get as far away from everyone you know as possible.

But then working at a "family" restaurant for 20+ years has given me a horror of families even greater than the pile of traumas I amassed while growing up.
Furphy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2419 on: June 18, 2008, 10:58:03 PM »

To me "vacation" means being in a room where I don't have to make the bed and where, if I wake up in the middle of the night and hold very still, I can't hear a cat throwing up.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2420 on: June 19, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »

LOL, furphy.  I haven't had a vacation since my sojourn to London and Paris four years ago.  I can return to certain key areas in my mind, though. 

Kit and Eva, you both have me wanting to read Midnight's Children now, after I finish The Poisonwood Bible, which is really an excellent read.  Southern Baptist missionaries in the Belgian Congo around the time of the Congolese's fight for independence.  Amazing book.  It is a brilliant commentary on several levels as well - the complete stupidity of believing African natives will buy into Christianity and the way that women were reduced to household slaves and baby producers back in the late fifties and early sixties.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2421 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »

I've only read entry-level Kingsolver -- The Bean Trees -- started TPWB but couldn't get into it -- perhaps my reading of period material is overly dependent on mood.  Will try again.

This story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7458468.stm

...has nothing whatsoever to do with BK, but nonetheless appeals to my footloose spirit.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2422 on: June 20, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »

That business with the feet washing ashore is so grisly.  I'll be so glad when they figure out what's going on so I won't have to see that in the headlines every day.  I'm so sick of reading headlines about people beating babies to a bloody pulp in public and stuff like that. 
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2423 on: June 20, 2008, 05:44:52 PM »

This story...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7458468.stm

...has nothing whatsoever to do with BK, but nonetheless appeals to my footloose spirit.

I'm thinking Oceanic Flight 815....
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2424 on: June 21, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

Smiley

Desde -- from what I gleaned, this doesn't appear to be related to foul play -- more likely, a boating accident -- the investigators said that body parts often tend to become separated in the water.  I'm sort of glad (in a way) that the fifth foot was a left foot because the first four were right feet and that oddity was fueling some kind of weirdo/killer scenario.  Now it looks like that was just coincidence.  And I want the record to show that, despite my head nearly exploding with puns, I have exercised restraint and proceeded with quiet dignity.

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2425 on: June 22, 2008, 05:53:14 AM »

KingsolverKingsolverKingsolverKingsolverKingsolver....

You know it's not the NYT when "Kingsolver" generates discussion instead of killing the forum dead.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2426 on: June 22, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »

But notice how quickly I shifted the discussion to rotting corpse feet.

Seriously, why would BK be a forum killer?  I heard her on Fresh Air, the public radio interview show, recently talking about her family all living off their own land and a resulting book, Animal Vegetable something.  She seemed to have her head screwed on pretty firmly and wasn't all ladidah whole-earthy about it -- very open about the practical limitations and the stuff they had to cheat on to make it work.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2427 on: June 22, 2008, 02:48:36 PM »

To me "vacation" means being in a room where I don't have to make the bed and where, if I wake up in the middle of the night and hold very still, I can't hear a cat throwing up.

I just knew we had something in common.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2428 on: June 22, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »

Barton, I think the the NYTimes thing was a fluke of some kind. Kingsolver is an excellent writer. I look forward to any of her non fiction but have only read one of her fiction works: "The Poisonwood Bible" (and it was so sad and depressing it nearly killed me.) She is as level headed, feet-on-the-ground as she sounds. Her views are clearly limned and, gratefully, she's not preachy about it. She lays everything out for inspection and you can do with it what you will.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:50:53 PM by Donotremove » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2429 on: June 22, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »

barton, you heard now;the writing was then.

Discussion was abstract to say the least, if anyone had paid attention to the point of the book then, they might have taken a more judicious caution about dealing with Saudi-Arab Salafids and Iraqis of one or another Muslim approach much less bait Iran.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 02:57:30 PM by madupont » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164
  Print  

Jump to: