Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
September 22, 2017, 11:40:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 484514 times)
Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6345 on: July 29, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »

LUIPM (laughing until I peed myself)!

Very clever piece of satire.  I liked them all, Stephen King on the horrors of female puberty, and especially the takedown of the iconic Mr. Thoreau....

Alone in the woods, except for a dozen-or-so friends who visit daily, the neighborhood kids who play in the pond, and his mom who frequently delivers food to him on foot, Thoreau is able to explore the depths of his physical and political existence in relationship to nature. He concludes that the key to a contented life is profound simplicity, which only requires enough money to buy land, build a house, not work, and have enough solitude to really listen to your own brilliance.

"A fool and his money are soon elected." - Will Rogers
Sir Utley
Superhero Member

Levine is a coward.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6346 on: July 29, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »

Never been married, I see.

Grin

That's you in the water.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6347 on: August 06, 2017, 04:06:34 AM »

Here is a link with info on where I am from, the Antelope Valley...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Valley

When I was born in Lancaster, California, the population was about ten thousand people, but now for the entire Antelope Valley the population is about six hundred thousand people. The area built and tested aircraft and spacecraft, and satellites and stuff, and after the area became really famous for building the space shuttles, the area became the fastest growing area in the United States. Later, Las Vegas became the fastest growing city in the USA, I guess. Now I guess that the fastest growing area is in Florida, I am sure that many people from Venezuela are coming to Florida, etc.

The Antelope Valley was not a bad place to grow up, I have some good memories. Everyplace has good and bad. And Hollywood is only about eighty miles away from the Antelope Valley, and Malibu is only about one hundred miles away.

Some good memories are of swimming pool parties as a kid, and back then everyone wore their swimsuits to the grocery stores, etc, the area was wealthy from aerospace money, and it was a good area then. And some other good memories are of the times we rented buses to go to party with friends who had bands who were playing at the clubs in Hollywood, we partied hard. We had some great keg parties too, with live bands, etc.

Now, the area is in kind of bad shape, because the population grew, without creating jobs for the people as they came. So, the area ended up with a whole bunch of unemployed people and no jobs. Sure, there are jobs for scientists, and there are jobs for engineers, there are jobs for people who build all of the planes and stuff, and all of the satellites, and top secret stuff, etc, but it is hard for the uneducated people with low skills. The community college, AVC, is training people as fast as they can for entry level positions in the aerospace industry, but many people are not qualified for that. The area needs low skill manufacturing jobs in Mojave, and maybe in California City, to get the people employed and working, and the real estate in Mojave is cheap for factories, etc. Richard Branson loves Mojave, and he has been developing his spacecraft there. Mojave would be a good area for manufacturing jobs.

Anyhow, there is some information about where I am from.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6348 on: August 06, 2017, 06:10:33 AM »

Battle Mountain, Nevada, would be a good area for new immigration and growth. The area has gold, and jewelry can be made from the gold, etc. And the area has huge cattle ranches, and the beef can be made into beef stew and can be canned and shipped around the world, and other things can be made from the beef, and dog food can be made from the bones from the beef, etc, and stuff can be made from the leather from the cattle, etc. Many jobs can be created in Battle Mountain.

As people from Venezuela are looking for new places to live, the people of Venezuela can consider Battle Mountain, Nevada, USA, as an option.

Link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Mountain,_Nevada

The only bad thing about Battle Mountain is that the weather is cold in the winter. And people would have to build from scratch, there is not a whole lot there. But, the area is there for whomever wants to develop the area, and it would not be a bad area for the people from Venezuela, etc. The Russians would love Battle Mountain, and the Russians can handle the cold, and the same with the people from the Ukraine, and from Poland, and from the Czech Republic, and from Germany, etc, they are all used to the cold. But, the Venezuelans who are looking for a fresh start in the USA can consider Battle Mountain, and it is a nice, safe place. Also, there is a nice college in the area, in Elko, for people who want to study.

Here is a link for the college...

http://www.gbcnv.edu/

Salute,

Tony V.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6349 on: August 06, 2017, 06:59:59 AM »

Here is a link with info on where I am from, the Antelope Valley.
Nice poppies.

Non vi mettete in pelago, ché forse,
perdento me, rimarreste smarriti
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6350 on: August 08, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »

Nice poppies.

Thanks for noticing. Yes, the wild flowers in the desert are beautiful. People from the city drive out to the desert in the spring when the wild flowers bloom to see the flowers, the poppies attract a lot of people.

Here is some information about a new training program for people who want to work in the aerospace industry, the local community college, AVC, is training people as fast as they can to work in the aerospace industry...

Antelope Valley College’s Aircraft Fabrication & Assembly Rapid Training Program. This program is a great partnership between AVC and local community partners. Cohorts of 24 students take classes in compressed 8 week sessions, gaining valuable hands on training in aircraft fabrication while earning transferrable college credits. The program is rigorous with students spending well beyond 40 hours per week in this classroom and lab setting. With two cohorts, classes begin at 6:30 a.m. and end at 10 pm, six days per week. The program has a 90% job placement rate.

Link...

https://www.avc.edu/

Salute,

Tony V.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6351 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

Nice poppies.

Thanks for noticing. Yes, the wild flowers in the desert are beautiful. People from the city drive out to the desert in the spring when the wild flowers bloom to see the flowers, the poppies attract a lot of people.

Especially after all the rain this hear. The road to get into the preserve was so long.we wound up just wandering through some poppy-filled bills outside it.

Also went to what I kept thinking of as "Charizo Plain National Monument" to see wild flowers. But it was lunchtime so my memory may have played tricks on me.

Non vi mettete in pelago, ché forse,
perdento me, rimarreste smarriti
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6352 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

Nice poppies.

Especially after all the rain this hear. The road to get into the preserve was so long.we wound up just wandering through some poppy-filled bills outside it.

Also went to what I kept thinking of as "Charizo Plain National Monument" to see wild flowers. But it was lunchtime so my memory may have played tricks on me.

Ha ha ha, that is the Carrizo Plain National Monument...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrizo_Plain

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6353 on: August 21, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »

They have a new drug to fight against Leukemia, and they are charging people over one hundred thousand dollars for treatment with the new drug. It sucks. Medicine should not be about money. Curing diseases should not be about money. And like Jonas Salk, he gave the cure to Polio to the world for free. If I cured Cancer, I sure would not be doing it for the money.

When asked who owned the patent to it, Salk said, "Well, the people I would say. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

Link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Salk

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424]
  Print  

Jump to: