Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
November 18, 2017, 07:57:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 24328 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2430 on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »

pugetopolis,re:#2402

Funny you should mention it. Since Meandering's minds are listing their Summer reading following Bin Ladens (plural) An Arabian Family in the American Century. I shall begin with The Golden Age by Gore Vidal. My favorite writer as the only realist in America.

He has written openly upon his sexuality (and that of several other folks on occasion)but he did it right from the start with his first published work,known as the one that The New York Times refused to review.

Incidentally, Dick Cavett said a strange thing in his this week account of attending his class reunion at Yale, where greeted by an even smarter classmate from fifty years ago who regaled him with the anecdote from the days when Dick didn't known what gay was.   

As his friend realized after mentioning to Cavett that he had just run into Will Gear on campus. Since Cavett and Gear have both been "actors", he asked if his classmate had actually talked to Gear?

Oh,yes, was the reply, "I asked what he was doing here on campus? To which he replied, 'Oh, just looking over the boys'."

It occurs to me now, Cavett must have had a very sheltered life but I think he once said that he came from Kansas or Nebraska.

Funny thought occurs to me now, mosca once told me he didn't think he would bother reading Auchincloss after asking me about Hugh, although I probably told him about Louis, and here's why he couldn't bother:

"A Novel Of Complex Family Ties Sets Off Guessing", New York Times, April 17, 1981. Retrieved on 2007-06-21. "Nina Gore Auchincloss Steers Straight's memories of her half-brother, Gore Vidal, though fragmented, are vivid. A photograph of me as a teeny baby, a fat thing sitting on Gore's lap. Then I never saw him again until I was 13 or 14, a bad speller, a bad grammarian, and he started me reading. I remember him shaking his finger and telling me, Now I want you to read Virginia Woolf and Thomas Hardy." 

Mosca thought that the cult of Washingtonian society interrelationships, as soon as you mentioned Jackie Bouvier Kennedy, in relationship to the Gores via the Auchincloss financiers,canceled out the literary ability of any of the members of the extended family. He just couldn't be bothered with some of the finest writers in America.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2431 on: June 22, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Reading is good on the flight over, but I'll be surprised if (all) your noses are in books during the daylight hours while there.  Beauty everywhere !  Enjoy, enjoy!

Thanks much, kit.  Was last there with different family in 1977 after college graduation.  One day the newspaper we got to read on the beach had a headline story about the school I had just graduated from: Kent State (article was about decision in lawsuit over students killed/wounded in May 4, 1970 events and/or plans to build gym/complex on the site of same).  I recently dug up books I read before going then: a volume of Hawaiian myths & legends, a "literary chronicle" series of stories/essays, and Gavin Dawes's history A Shoal of Time (I think it was this one that gave me an attack of haole guilt).  This time will try to do as you suggest and focus on the natural beauty--I'm crazy about waterfalls, among other phenomena.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 05:28:44 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2432 on: June 22, 2008, 07:38:50 PM »

There's a name I haven't seen in awhile.Gavin Dawes is the author of"Prisoners of the Japanese" a very disturbing book about the WW2 POW camps I read about ten years ago.I  Know he has an interest in things Pacific Islands.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2433 on: June 22, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »

nytempsperdu ~~

Hiking, then swimming in those waterfalls, doesn't get much better than that...  Have visited the islands a handful of times -- each time more traffic -- Oahu in particular -- though "Turtle Bay" is quiet; I recommend staying there to anyone interested.

Fewer bird sightings on Kauai than ever last visit.  Heading west too this summer, but a bit more north, BC -- but (always) looking forward to that next island visit.  Kauai is so uniquely noncommercial, at least it was, it's been nearly five years for me. Since your last visit you're going to find it even more built up by comparison, but hopefully still unspoiled enough...

Don't dance on a volcano...
bosox18d

Bayn Solomon just straight up sucks bum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2434 on: June 23, 2008, 02:01:46 AM »

RIP George Carlin.

"If it keeps going like this,the Zamboni driver is going to be the first star"
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2435 on: June 24, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »

Thank goodness we are back in service.  I keep thinking about the benevolence of liquidsilver for keeping these boards up.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2436 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:30 AM »

See my post today in arts/tv thread, with some Carlin quotes.

Seinfeld's obit in the NYT was terrific -- read it if you get the chance.  

He was about to receive the Twain Award -- I can't think of anyone who more earned one than Carlin.  And many of my internet taglines over the past decade would have been empty space were it not for him.  

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163]
  Print  

Jump to: