Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 6881 times)

liquidsilver

• View Profile
Pets
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

Are you a cat lover? Do you need help training your dog? Discuss your pets here.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:50:40 AM »

This is probably one of those flukes, but pretty scary that a simple dog lick led to dog saliva bacteria entering a man's bloodstream, resulting in septic shock and within a few days his legs and hands had to be amputated.
https://www.thisisinsider.com/man-dog-lick-sepsis-infection-legs-hands-amputated-2018-8

That's why I prefer cats who merely put toxoplasmosis cysts in your brain.

Actually since I was a kid dogs generally don't like me.  Doesn't matter if I look at them or not, dogs sense something and get angry at me, maybe realizing that I'm a cat person.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »

Dogs bark angrily at all strangers.   It has nothing to do with with ailurophile tendencies, AFAIK.   I have found that the less hysteric dogs,  if you look at them and speak in a calm low voice, will subside and let you pass by.   It also helps to slow your pace and not make sudden nervous gestures.  They are very territorial and want the sense that you are respectful of their space.   

As for cats,  have you seen all the Henri vignettes?  I think there are eleven or twelve now.   We are big fans.   "Immortalized on the wall, forgotten on the floor."

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 04:35:33 PM »

On the issue of pets and making money...

You could earn one million dollars per year, gross, if you open your own dog kennel in Anaheim, or in Las Vegas, or other populated area and tourism is a plus.

If you have boarding, at twenty five dollars per night per dog, and if you average eighty dogs per night, then you can earn seven hundred and thirty thousand dollars per year just from boarding.

Then you have grooming. If you have a good sized grooming shop, with six groomers, then you can earn three hundred thousand dollars per year for that, easy.

So just from boarding and grooming you can earn one million dollars per year.

Then you have training. You can charge five hundred dollars for a two week in kennel training, they drop off the dog, and they come back in two weeks and the dog is all trained. If you average ten dogs for every two week training program, then that is one hundred and thirty thousand dollars per year.

So, that is over one million dollars per year, just for getting to work with dogs.

You could also breed dogs, and have champion Dobermans or whatever, and some people like to enter dogs in dog shows.

But, you have the over-head, and salaries for the workers, and insurance, etc, etc, etc.

If you love dogs, then you might consider opening your own dog kennel.

Salute,

Tony V.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:58:43 AM »

I took my cat to the vet today.   Her ears were bothering her.  I suspected ear mites.  She lived outside for over a year.  They stuck an endoscope into her ear canal, and you could see these nasty critters going about their household routine in my poor kitty's ears.  The horror. 

Now I'm supposed to put medicine in her ear every day for 2 weeks.   This will not be fun for either of us.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

Pilling is worse IMO.  One of our cats like to have her ears massaged when she comes in from really cold weather,  she will push her ears against your hand until you massage them or at least cup your hands around them until they warm up.   She'd probably be easier to do Ear Drops than most cats.   We had another,  an enormous male (not fat,  just large) who seemed to be tolerant to a fault,  and would let children fold an ear wrong side out and not mind. I always had the feeling that he lived to be the center of attention and put up with the discomfort for the sake of audience engagement.  We wondered if he'd been a dog in a previous life.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »

My one cat doesn't care when cleaning herself if her ear gets folded over.  Will leave it that way for a while.  Looks silly.

The cat that needs the ear medicine is very easy-going and lets me clean her nose or look in her mouth.  But her ears bother her and are sensitive because of the visitors and crud.  So bothering with her ears annoys her.  It wasn't hard to do with two people -- me and the nurse -- but the cat tried to get her back leg scratching in her ear, and then shook her head flinging medicine out of her ear and all over. 

Once or twice I wouldn't mind much, but every day for two weeks seems like overkill and will be a hassle.  I suppose I'll get good at it and she'll get used to it.  I might just wrap her in a small blanket first and then go to it, so she can't escape or get back legs kicking around and such.

Pills I usually smash into powder and fold into tuna.
My previous cat I used to be able to just push a pill down her throat.  The vet did that today.  But the other two would likely put up a fight over that.  Especially the one who needs to go to the vet due to a mouth problem.  The mouth being her sensitive area.  She loves to be pet, but she can be stubborn and tough when she chooses.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/12/protect-your-pets-cats-make-up-one-fifth-of-coyotes-diet-in-los-angeles

Meow Mix.

Anyone remember Meow Mix, btw?  Used to see it on store shelves, and my parents used to feed the brand to our cats.  Haven't seen it on the shelf in a long time.  Ours currently get either Iams Hairball Formula, or sometimes alternate with Beyond - the one that's just fish and has no poultry by-products or grains.  Shit's expensive. 

oilcan

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 12:56:12 PM »

Any coyotes around the Ecuadorian embassy??

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/12/world/europe/julian-assange-cat.html

I remember the really annoying commercial jingle for Meow Mix.  It is, horrifyingly, printed on the brains of American baby boomers unto death.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 04:49:00 PM »

San Bernardino needs new animal control facilities, estimated to cost eighteen million dollars.

There are television shows that could come in and help San Bernardino. And also, maybe they could get Habitat for Humanity to help to build the new facilities. The city just needs to ask for help, and then allow people to help.

Many construction workers love dogs, and people will show up to volunteer.

And maybe Petco and some other companies can donate money for building supplies, etc, and they can get advertising and a good reputation.

San Bernardino just needs to ask for help, and people will help, many people love animals and they would help.

https://www.sbsun.com/2018/06/15/san-bernardino-to-consider-closing-animal-shelter-contracting-with-riverside-county/

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 05:09:20 PM »

And if San Bernardino needs better management then they need to hire the people who are coming out of the military, who have experience running military dog kennels, etc. The people from the military are disciplined and professional. A kennel manager from the Marines would do a great job.

When I managed a dog kennel, my boss was trained in the Marine Corps, he ran kennels for the Marines, and he was a dog trainer and a dog handler for the Marines during World War II, he was very professional.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 03:21:48 PM »

Here are the prices at the dog kennel which I managed for six years in Lancaster, California...

https://www.caninecountryclub.us/rates

You could make a million dollars per year with a kennel here in Anaheim, or in Las Vegas.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 12:54:48 PM »

The definition of insanity:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/08/08/we-took-our-cats-beach-vacation-heres-what-happened/

What this article seems to overlook is that, however great the destination, cats generally do not enjoy long car trips.  And many cats are not so mellow as Jasper and Jezebel (the cats in the article) when it comes to finding themselves transplanted to an unfamiliar territory.  These folks got lucky. 

barton

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3