Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 23, 2017, 03:52:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nonfiction  (Read 3983 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: May 13, 2008, 10:20:29 AM »

kit -

I picked up The Glass Castle yesterday and started it last night.  Great memoir.  Wow.  Hard to imagine growing up like that.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

Glad that you're finding it a good read!  Having shared it with a number of buds who found it quite the story, one friend who found it just a bit much  -- but she's a really harsh critic -- plus her own childhood (probably) would make an equally interesting story.... Roll Eyes

Don't dance on a volcano...
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

Well you were completely right about how skillfully written it is - it's so hard to write a memoir about something that awful without sounding self-pitying or judgemental.  I was hooked by the time I had read the first page - my gosh, her parents!  And I thought Frank McCourt's were bad!

nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2008, 02:56:38 PM »

Was it in here that the "rescue" of the kids in the FLDS compound in TX was being discussed?  I saw in the paper this a.m. that some of the rescued "kids" are really adults (one is 22!) but the law enf. guys were fooled by their no-makeup healthy young looks and demure dress.  HEE.  Not so "hee" is the fact that some of their birth certificates, driver's licenses and even SSNs were not accepted as proof of their age!!! (Sometimes there's just no talking to a stubborn sheriiff's deputy...)
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2008, 12:10:21 AM »

Glad to see the court thought about the issue as I did: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/22/AR2008052200548.html?hpid=topnews
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2008, 09:53:46 AM »

I knew you'd be over here to talk about that, nytemps.  I knew the authorities in Texas were overstepping their bounds as well, rounding all those kids up wholesale like a bunch of cattle and placing them in foster care.  I used to be a social worker, so I knew they had no authority to take the children away without going to court first.

Now I'm waiting for the law suits to roll in.  Sheesh - what an ordeal for these people.  Wonder when they're going to let these people have their kids back?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/us/23raid.html?th&emc=th
Court Says Texas Illegally Seized Sect's Children
By RALPH BLUMENTHAL
The ruling said that the state had failed to show immediate
danger of abuse.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: May 23, 2008, 02:20:39 PM »

I love this term, though: "wrongdoers"

"It could be that you have wrongdoers somewhere in there. But the thing you have to do is identify them," he said. [Lawyer]

Wonder where he got that expression? Is it local usage?  Now, if only Bush before going into Iraq had identified the precise "wrongdoers", since the first sentence sounds so much like something he said at the time, it might not have cost us as much in the long run as the oil is going to cost us now. Not to mention that the innocents, we were going to save from the "wrongdoers"  by allowing them a vote for democracy, would still be alive today.

I ran into an interesting blog poll last night with posters complaining of  how the higher cost to them is all the airlines fault. I think that I read all 160 of their posts because none of them got the political connections of why they intended to stop flying.  There were about three posters who advised we would be returning to and have a lifestyle, much like Yearning for Zion, unless we allowed ourselves to be destroyed living in cities without transportation, where we would slowly go hungry as the cost of living kept up with the cost of of oil. They thought the government was going to take care of all this for them.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: May 23, 2008, 02:31:25 PM »

Ps. numerous examples of airline service closing, also nytimes.com, told me of a sad fact. The runway extensions that were made for corporate jets, that were done recently in time for Pres.Bush to arrive  more quickly from Washington,D.C, than a campaign bus, for the season leading up to the 2004 elections, will stop service by Sept.30th. in Lancaster, where the bagmen came down from Harrisburg to attend Sunday services at the Mega-chuches to collect Pennsylvania Republican fund-raising contributions from the people "who cling to religion" along with their guns and pictures of them having shots of whiskey with Hillary.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  

Jump to: