Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
December 13, 2017, 11:27:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Parenting  (Read 1231 times)
incadove0
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »

Ditto on what the Cap0 says.  Father in the grandparent generation, wouldn't have had it any other way.  Many benefits for the offspring.

How many seas must the white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »

I'm warming up to it.  I have a 5 year old already (along with the 17 yr old from an earlier marriage).

I think there is a personal selfishness that needs to be over come, but I'm pretty much there...It's hard to beat the look of a little one when they are happy and adoring your attention. 

and you are right, you are more patient and better able to teach them when you are a bit more mature...
Nostrabartus
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »

Whatever you do, don't get your child hooked on bacon bits.

Croutons also disrecommended.

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 06:22:55 PM »

Whatever you do, don't get your child hooked on bacon bits.

Croutons also disrecommended.

I must be missing something Barton...
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

nytemps,

More patience, yes, but there may be something of a reduced energy level that has an impact if one's kid likes lots of activity, like sports, with parental participation.

Don't be so hard on yourself, man.  Older dads can contribute wisdom, companionship, and a love of reading and puzzling to their young children that younger parents are far too busy to provide.
incadove0
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 04:29:15 AM »

When my father was dying in the hospital, he would give advice to all the nurses and doctors, "Enjoy your children," he'd say to one.  To another: "Enjoy your children!"  "Remember to enjoy your children."  Some appreciated these words very much, I think, because it made them stop and think about how busy their day was and how little time they really took and treasured with their offspring.  One lady though looked at him like he crazy -- her eyes seemed to say, who has time???  But it was very sweet for me to see bcause I always knew he'd enjoyed his children - he was fully there in the moment - that was part of what made it enjoyable to be with him - and now he felt he had this accumulated treasure from over time inside that he wanted to share so that others could some of same wonderful experience as himself.  I knew that he had really and fully enjoyed his relationship with each of his children.

How many seas must the white dove sail before she sleeps in the sand?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 06:16:21 PM »

inca...

The first time I read your post I missed that you were talking about "your" father.  It takes on a whole new meaning when ready the second time...

thanks for sharing this...
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:16 AM »

Inca,

It was good of your father to "spread the word" about enjoying childhood when it is there. It is just a fleeting moment in time that one can never recover. I was fortunate in having extra time with my sons as teenagers since I was a college student, and then a new teacher during those years. We were able to develop a close relationship that, for one of my sons, has developed into a closeness in his adult year. I am not as close to the older son, who lives a life that is strange to me, but suits him.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 08:18:01 PM »

The 5 year old started kindergarten yesterday.  My wife called sobbing like a baby herself...  It's her first (and still only)

He looked awfully cute in his little uniform.

How do I post photos anyway?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »

Trojan,

Would love to see a picture! I know all about those first days of school traumas (for mothers, and sometimes for the kids!)

To get the picture up, first you have to put it on a website, and figure out the exact link to the picture itself (not the page it is on). Once you do that, click on the second icon in the second row (the one below the italics icon), and you will see a set of brackets in your message. Insert that exact link to the picture between the brackets.

Good luck!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 07:08:42 PM »

Other than work websites, we have never set up a "personal" web-site, so I woudn't have any idea how to post the photo to a web site...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: