Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Western Europe  (Read 7491 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Western Europe
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »

Discuss Western Europe politics

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Western Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »

Here is the Google Street Map of the street where I lived for six weeks in Rome, Italy, I lived on Via Urbana...

http://tinyurl.com/Via-Urbana-Rome-Italy

I lived right across the street from the Saint Louis College of Music.

http://www.slmc.it/

It was cool.

It would be cool to live in Italy, and make films at Cinecitta, and have a night club in Rome...

And there was a vineyard and winery for sale in Tuscany, Italy, that had an old castle with many rooms, and I wanted to buy it, and then I could always have many guests and we could drink wine and we could solve the problems of the world. And we could write movie scripts, etc. And I could have a recording studio for my musician friends, so they could record at my castle. Etc. And the winery makes Chianti wine, so it is a money making business. 

We will see what happens.

All that I need to do is to make my movie script into a film, and get my poetry book published. And then the whole world will open up. The opportunities will be bountiful.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »

When I was in Rome, Italy, the people in the Hostel watched the Italian version of MTV, and so you got to see all of the American stars talk about how much they loved Italy. Leonardo DiCaprio was on the Italian version of MTV, and a million other American stars, and they all talked about how much they loved Italy. And the Italian version of MTV seemed more interesting to me than the American version.

Of note, MTV needs to bring back the music. It is after all "MUSIC TELEVISION."

https://tinyurl.com/MTV-ROME-ITALY

Salute,

Tony V.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:48:45 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »

In Italy many of the businesses close on Sunday to observe the Sabbath, and to allow all of the workers to go to Church. And there are beautiful Churches everywhere in Rome.

It is different here in the USA, although the Jews in Beverly Hills observe their Sabbath, and many Jewish businesses close during their Sabbath. But, most people watch football here in the USA on Sunday. We even have horse racing at Santa Anita and at Los Alamitos.

And it is different in Italy with how the people behave, they are more kind and Christian than here in the USA. They help the homeless people, and they are kind to their neighbors like it says in the Bible. There is zero crime in Rome, and they help all of their people. You can feel the love in Rome.

It is cool here in Anaheim, the people are very loving, but Italy is different. Some of my best friends growing up were Italian-Americans, and I have always loved the Italians. And the Princess, Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco, had an Italian father, he was an industrialist, he died when she was a little girl, and she loves Italy too, like I do. I bet the Princess will like Anaheim too though, she will probably love Disneyland, and we have some good restaurants and stuff, and we can have parties at my apartment complex. I bet the Princess would love Malibu too, like I do. (Everyone loves Malibu, Princess Diana was going to move to Malibu, she was buying a house next door to Olivia Newton John on PCH, everyone in Malibu was excited to have Diana as a neighbor, but then she died in an auto accident, everyone was sad.)

Anyhow, Italy is great, and on Sunday everyone goes to Church. If I had a movie production office in Rome, and a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, I would have to close the businesses on Sunday, and I would have to give all of the workers Sunday off.

If Disneyland was in Rome, it would be closed on Sunday.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:16:38 PM »

There is zero crime in Rome, and they help all of their people. You can feel the love in Rome.
If Disneyland was in Rome, it would be closed on Sunday.

Salute,

Tony V.

Tony,

I think you allow your love for Catholicism to obscure reality.

Crime comparision between Rome and NYC:
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Italy&city1=New+York%2C+NY&city2=Rome&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Crime comparison between Rome and LA:
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Italy&city1=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&city2=Rome&tracking=getDispatchComparison

I will grant you that Anaheim doesn't look as good, but they have far less data:
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Italy&city1=Anaheim%2C+CA&city2=Rome&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Also... why do you think having Disneyland closed on your sabbath is a good thing in a pluralistic society? How is that fair or appropriate?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 03:30:55 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/19/donald-trump-jr-may-should-have-taken-my-fathers-brexit-advice

Donald Trump Jr and John Bolton berate UK leaders over Brexit

Donald Trump Jr and the US national security adviser, John Bolton, spoke out over Brexit on Tuesday in what appeared to be a coordinated intervention by the White House into British domestic politics.

Both the US president’s son and Bolton attacked British political leadership after Theresa May said she would ask the EU for a delay to the UK’s exit from the European Union; in line with parliament’s wish.

Democracy.

George W Bush was big on democracy.

oilcan

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »

Welcome, Arafura.

You may want to post this in the Trump forum, as it serves as our main active political thread and is where most people look for political commentary when they log on. 

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 06:22:53 PM »

Welcome, Arafura.

You may want to post this in the Trump forum, as it serves as our main active political thread and is where most people look for political commentary when they log on.

Thank you, Oilyboyd.

barton

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 11:02:39 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/27/donald-tusk-majority-uk-stay-eu-article-50-brexit

What a goatfuck.

Britain will never leave...EU will never want it to.
Those in the parliament representing the People who want to exit, are 'remainers'.
Many in Britain are still living in a 'fool's paradise'.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 02:39:57 PM »

When the economy gets better, I have some "Green Hornet" collector's cards that I want to sell, the show featured Bruce Lee, so the cards are worth a lot. The television show aired in 1966-1967.

If I get enough money for the cards, then I want to take a vacation to Europe.

Or, I might buy a video camera. I would love to buy a used Red.

We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 05:36:29 PM »

People say "Drain the swamp" pertaining to cleaning up corruption, but when they built Rome they literally had to drain a swamp, they had to build a sewer system to drain the swamp. So, in Rome they really did drain a swamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_in_ancient_Rome

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/15/irish-border-checks-risk-creating-depressing-jobless-region

A hard border in Ireland is what they are trying to avoid.  But confidence in a deal to keep it open seems not high on the emerald isle.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »

FRANCE 24 English

43 mins · 

Mathematician-turned-politician Cédric Villani wears his eccentricity on his sleeve – or, at least, on the lapel of his three-piece suit. There lurk his signature spider brooches. They stalk alongside his silken Ascot neckties and above his pocket watch, even on the campaign trail, where Emmanuel Macron's now ex-protégé is stumping for one of French politics’ most coveted prizes: The Paris mayor’s office.

--------------------------

In the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov the Mathematicians could predict the future events by calculating the odds, etc. A great line from the Foundation Trilogy is "Violence is the last refuge for the incompetent," and it really is true. Someday someone needs to make the Foundation Trilogy into a series of films.  

I had a professor in College who was a Mathematician, I took his class on Euclidean Geometry, and on the first day of class he taught us that 2 + 2 does not necessarily equal 4, and 0 only exists because we say it does. It was a great class. The professor was also a magician and he was a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. Mathematicians can be fun people. 

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »

Swedes have been trying the "herd immunity" approach, but new figures are causing some debate in the Rijksdag over the "soft" strategy....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/sweden-prepares-to-tighten-coronavirus-measures-as-death-toll-climbs

Sten Linnarsson, a professor at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute, said the concern was that “there is really a lack of scientific evidence being put forward for these policies”. He compared the approach to letting a kitchen fire burn but intending to put it out later: “The danger, of course, is that it burns the whole house down.”

A letter to the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter from 14 scientists last week asked why Sweden had stuck with its policy when others, such as the UK, had followed the rest of Europe with tough measures. “Different countries have different conditions but we struggle to see why the Swedish context is so different from the British,” they wrote.

Pages: [1] 2