Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 23, 2017, 03:58:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 3914 times)
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2008, 01:35:39 AM »

Cap, with that drum, and the three weeks to finished compost, do you stop adding fresh material at some point and then the three weeks wait?  I see where some drums have two compartments. One being added to and the other "finishing."
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #406 on: June 13, 2008, 07:57:35 AM »

Cap, with that drum, and the three weeks to finished compost, do you stop adding fresh material at some point and then the three weeks wait?  I see where some drums have two compartments. One being added to and the other "finishing."

I fill the drum to capacity, rotate it a few times, and then I add something wet (coffee grounds, for example), and then I rotate it a few times each day.

With our hot, dry climate here in Colorado, I will occasionally add a quart of water.

Once the process is under way, it then moves along quite rapidly.  At this point, my garden is well composted, so the wait is tolerable.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2008, 09:37:38 AM »

Cap, sorry to pester you but the extra finished compost, do you bag it and put it aside for later or do you give it to friends and neighbors?  Spread any on your lawn?
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »

Is anybody composting?

Or using worms to eat garbage and using the worms castings for dressing in flower and veggie beds? Holy-in-your-face worms eating garbage . . . one web site has a unit that is a coffee table if you live in an apartment!

I got started looking into the worm thing after I read a book title "Worms Are Eating My Garbage."

I don't have to, donot, what with all the doodle bugs and earth worms I have.  My Georgia clay is a rich loam in many areas of my yard much like the soil in your area.  Now if I could only grow something in it that the doodle bugs won't eat.  They don't seem to like the tomatoes or the cukes so far, but there's no fruit yet, so I am steeling myself for that.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »

So these compost drums are available at garden centers?

What kind of heirloom tomatoes did you plant, cap0?
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2008, 10:29:20 AM »

Cap, sorry to pester you but the extra finished compost, do you bag it and put it aside for later or do you give it to friends and neighbors?  Spread any on your lawn?

Between my roses out front and my vegetable garden out back, I use all that I produce.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #411 on: June 17, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »

http://www.pallensmith.com/index.php?id=16259

I just had to post what pallensmith has done to the place he built.Last I saw was the homestead house standing in a barren landscape almost ominously as if they were about to do a performance of:
 Mourning becomes Electra !

But I was quite interested as he went on to explain how he built terraces.

This is all a bit much. To attend to but then I can picture him running about tending or, he has hired a batch of gardners?  Sometimes, it is all a bit "twee". Had no idea that Arkansas was his getaway (from what?, I forget).
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #412 on: June 17, 2008, 11:20:46 PM »

Greenstripies, Brandywines,  and Russian purples.  They might have different names in different parts of the country.

I ordered my composter from an outfit in Pennsylvania which sent me a brochure.  I have yet to see one in any garden center near me.

Once one would sell composters, they would no longer sell as many bags of compost.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #413 on: June 18, 2008, 08:24:25 PM »

Greenstripies, Brandywines,  and Russian purples.  They might have different names in different parts of the country.

Those sound yummy - can we have a review at the end of the season?   

desdemona, my beans are getting eaten alive!  We're thinking slugs, so I've tried something.  Sage is reputed to deter slugs, and I can't find anything saying sage and beans are incompatible; so I've interplanted some sage and will see if the beans recover and/or improve.   If this works, I'll be sure to report back.  Meanwhile, we have a ton of seeds and luckily, beans sprout up pretty quickly.

I never did find any replacement Cherokee Purples, so guess I'll have to fess up to the friend who gave me the starts.  (Shopping at White Flower Farm was a heady experience, but I surely do not belong in a place like that.)
thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #414 on: June 18, 2008, 10:20:36 PM »

Those sound yummy - can we have a review at the end of the season?   

desdemona, my beans are getting eaten alive!  We're thinking slugs, so I've tried something.  Sage is reputed to deter slugs, and I can't find anything saying sage and beans are incompatible; so I've interplanted some sage and will see if the beans recover and/or improve.   If this works, I'll be sure to report back.  Meanwhile, we have a ton of seeds and luckily, beans sprout up pretty quickly.

I never did find any replacement Cherokee Purples, so guess I'll have to fess up to the friend who gave me the starts.  (Shopping at White Flower Farm was a heady experience, but I surely do not belong in a place like that.)

The best treatment I have found for slugs is a shallow saucer of beer near the plants they are attacking.  Apparently there is something in the beer, perhaps the hops, that attracts the little slimy critters.  They crawl right into the saucer and die quite happy.

Also, see if you nave any old lumber, shingles, or even downed limbs lying on the ground.  They love hiding under it during the heat of the day, as it provides darkness and moisture.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]
  Print  

Jump to: