Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 11:14:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What should be done to lower gas prices?
Allow drilling off shore and in Alaska
Allow drilling off shore, but not Alaska
Develop more oil from the lands the oil companies already have.
Take over Iraq and Iran
None of the above

Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 921
  Print  
Author Topic: Bush Administration  (Read 78372 times)
yankguy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13155 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13156 on: January 12, 2018, 02:54:18 PM »

I don't think Kid's a racist because he's a Republican.  He's a racist because he's a racist.  I know plenty of Republicans who aren't and prefer to approach these things on an individual basis.   

I am not asserting that every Republican is a racist.

I am asserting that the GOP is a racist entity and that in good measure it is so because of its supporters like kid.

I am asserting that either there are insufficient numbers of non-racist GOP members to overcome the others or that those that are present are unwilling to assert themselves to overcome the racist faction of the party, whether on state or national issues. North Carolina, Florida, and Alabama are among the states that illustrate this deeply.

barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13157 on: January 12, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »

The two I missed were really close.

So I got the highest 10 out of twelve that anybody ever has in the history of the world!

(meanwhile,Q1 is factually in error. it asks "1.When campaigning to be US president, of which country did Trump say: 'Without us, gone!'”

Their citation for the answer lists a speech given in June of 2015. Before he had announced his candidacy.

So. 10 out of 11. Which is so much better than anybody getting 10 out of 12, it's just basic math people. I did the best that anybody who has ever gotten ten out of twelve has ever done, in the history of ever.)

Heh.  Looks like they aren't releasing the psych portion of Trump's exam today, so we won't know if 45's being the healthiest President in the history of the galaxy is matched by his mental robustitude.  Of course, the Dos Equis guy is still the world's most interesting man and the Deep State fellas have been reluctant to have him eliminated at 45's request.

Congrats to you and Facilie on your mathematically ambiguous scores!

"Nothing more foolish than a man chasing his hat!"
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13158 on: January 12, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-ambassador-panama-resigns-donald-trump-john-feeley-not-work-president-a8156116.html

Trump won't miss him, because he was an Obama appointee. But he is a career member of the Senior Foreign Service. His career includes extensive experience in Latin America affairs, either at the State Department in Washington, D.C., and on assignments overseas. From 2004 to 2006, he was a Deputy Executive Secretary in the Office of the Secretary of State, where he managed information flow for Secretaries of State Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice. He was Deputy Chief of Mission in Mexico from 2009 to 2012. He has also held the positions of Director for Central American Affairs and Deputy Director for Caribbean Affairs. He served as the Summit of the Americas Coordinator, overseeing preparation for U.S. participation in the 2012 Cartagena Summit. Then as Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs he had responsibility for the daily management of policy implementation and the supervision of 53 diplomatic posts.[5] Other overseas postings have included the Dominican Republic and Colombia.

NeedsAdjustments

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13159 on: January 12, 2018, 03:12:57 PM »

Tim Scott has said that Lindsey Graham confirmed the comments.
Paul Ryan has called the comments "unfortunate" without questioning if they were said.
As did Susan Collins.

All Republicans.

But then Tom Cotton and David Perdue issue a statement saying the "do not recall" those comments, saying "Regrettably, it seems that not everyone is committed to negotiating in good faith," implying that the Democrats in the room were lying.

Calling out the good faith of Democrats when they are demonstrably the ones who have that problem...what execrable assholes.  One might even call them "shit holes."

Sen. Lindsey Graham just issued a statement essentially confirming the comments.

If Cotton and Perdue "can not recall" the President of the United States insulting millions of immigrants to this country, having found them unremarkable, that says more about them than I think they intended.

Of course, far more likely they are just carrying water for an openly racist xenophobe because their views are aligned.  Which is of course much worse.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13160 on: January 12, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »

Tim Scott has said that Lindsey Graham confirmed the comments.
Paul Ryan has called the comments "unfortunate" without questioning if they were said.
As did Susan Collins.

All Republicans.

But then Tom Cotton and David Perdue issue a statement saying the "do not recall" those comments, saying "Regrettably, it seems that not everyone is committed to negotiating in good faith," implying that the Democrats in the room were lying.

Calling out the good faith of Democrats when they are demonstrably the ones who have that problem...what execrable assholes.  One might even call them "shit holes."

Sen. Lindsey Graham just issued a statement essentially confirming the comments.

But what's the SOURCE?!

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

oilcan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13161 on: January 12, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

https://youtu.be/dZPV1MF6Kgs

Bruges: a shithole!
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13162 on: January 12, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/trump-keeps-iran-nuclear-deal-now-n837226

About that Iran nuclear deal... certified, again.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:15:44 PM by josh » Logged

REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13163 on: January 12, 2018, 04:04:51 PM »

I don't think Kid's a racist because he's a Republican.  He's a racist because he's a racist.  I know plenty of Republicans who aren't and prefer to approach these things on an individual basis.   

I am not asserting that every Republican is a racist.

I am asserting that the GOP is a racist entity and that in good measure it is so because of its supporters like kid.

I am asserting that either there are insufficient numbers of non-racist GOP members to overcome the others or that those that are present are unwilling to assert themselves to overcome the racist faction of the party, whether on state or national issues. North Carolina, Florida, and Alabama are among the states that illustrate this deeply.
I truly wonder who on this board has the guts to call out Josh on this post. 
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13164 on: January 12, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

I went to reply to a post that is no longer visible.

I gave concrete examples of the Republican Party's legislators passing racist laws and acting in a racist manner.

We have given repeated examples of racist conduct and of the failure of the bulk of the GOP leadership to address it, while also giving examples of their supporting racist conduct.

No, not every Republican is a racist, as I have already granted. But even by itself that is kind of a damning statement.

The apologists for the president's despicable comments, the denialists, the refusal by people on this message board to even admit that the North Carolina GOP intentionally gerrymandered using racist principles all demonstrate an unwillingness to deal with the racism in their party. They consistently put what they think is the good of the Party ahead of what is good for the people, including on a racial basis.

Those are examples of why I say the PARTY is racist, regardless of what one wishes to say about individual members.

josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13165 on: January 12, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »

I gave concrete examples of the Republican Party's legislators passing racist laws and acting in a racist manner.

We have given repeated examples of racist conduct and of the failure of the bulk of the GOP leadership to address it, while also giving examples of their supporting racist conduct.

No, not every Republican is a racist, as I have already granted. But even by itself that is kind of a damning statement.

The apologists for the president's despicable comments, the denialists, the refusal by people on this message board to even admit that the North Carolina GOP intentionally gerrymandered using racist principles all demonstrate an unwillingness to deal with the racism in their party. They consistently put what they think is the good of the Party ahead of what is good for the people, including on a racial basis.

Those are examples of why I say the PARTY is racist, regardless of what one wishes to say about individual members.

RSW's response every single time the word evidence is used in such a way has been to say "What evidence?" and then deny that there has been anything to look at. That included the Supreme Court's direct language on the prior North Carolina gerrymandering case.

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13166 on: January 12, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »

When my Dad and, his Dad, (and perhaps your Dad and his Dad) were voting for Democrats in the early 30's through early 60's, were they voting for a racist party or were they casting votes for some principles, some principles they believed in, as put forward by a party that had a lot of racists in it, racists who kept real racial progress from taking place?

But the fact that Red seemingly is more concerned with a defensible post by a poster here than the racist rantings of a President is reason enough for me to have deleted my post.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:32:40 PM by yankguy » Logged

I'm a pretty good cook sitting on my groceries. Come up to my kitchen. I'll show you my best recipe
REDSTATEWARD

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13167 on: January 12, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »

And,starting now, neither are you.

NYKnicks12

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13168 on: January 12, 2018, 04:38:37 PM »

When my Dad and, his Dad, (and perhaps your Dad and his Dad) were voting for Democrats in the early 30's through early 60's, were they voting for a racist party or were they casting votes for principles they believed in as put forward by a party that had a lot of racists in it, racists who kept real racial progress from taking place?

Yes...

LOL
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13169 on: January 12, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »

When my Dad and, his Dad, (and perhaps your Dad and his Dad) were voting for Democrats in the early 30's through early 60's, were they voting for a racist party or were they casting votes for some principles, some principles they believed in, as put forward by a party that had a lot of racists in it, racists who kept real racial progress from taking place?

But the fact that Red seemingly is more concerned with a defensible post by a poster here than the racist rantings of a President is reason enough for me to have deleted my post.

They were voting for a racist party, regardless of what else the party did.

The Democratic Party did a lot of worthwhile things - but it did a ton of racist crap, too.

And yes, my dad, too. He worked for the Party, and I can tell you he squirms a lot when we discuss some of what the party did during those years. He may have been a part of making things better, but I know he had some racist inclinations, himself, despite his being a very liberal man. (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was a delicate movie to discuss and All in the Family generated some heated discussions. But he participated and thought, rather than shutting down either himself or the discussions.)

Thank you for the follow up post, Yank. I appreciate it a lot.

Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 921
  Print  

Jump to: