Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Book News and Reviews  (Read 5830 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Book News and Reviews
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »

Discuss

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

https://www.patreon.com/posts/23138934

I think the reviewer was unimpressed with the match book.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

Re: Book News and Reviews
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 09:40:26 PM »

RIP John le Carré.

DeeJ

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 03:13:28 PM »

barton

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 01:08:00 PM »

I though Philip Bump, in the Post, had a clever lead...

If curtailing racist imagery in Dr. Seuss is ‘cancel culture,’ what, exactly, is your culture?

He proceeds to suggest what the answer might be....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/02/if-curtailing-racist-imagery-dr-seuss-is-cancel-culture-what-exactly-is-your-culture/

I see no real cancellation here, either.  The vast majority of Seuss titles remain in print.  The ones going out of print do have some startlingly racist depictions of blacks and Asians, and I'd have no problem with my children (or grandchildren, in my case) skipping those six titles (four of which are so obscure that few have even heard of them - they were probably doomed to be OOP anyway, as happens to most books).  Seuss was a big-hearted and kindly man, and the rest of his oeuvre reflects that clearly. 

DeeJ

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »

Agree with you 100% Barton.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 11:05:30 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »

This is a useful tool for finding authors you might like based upon those you already like, using the shared tastes of people you don't know.

https://www.literature-map.com/sylvia+louise+engdahl