Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
November 18, 2017, 07:50:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you favor or oppose the legalization of marijuana?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 2602 times)
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »

Ponder,

I hope you'll give us a review if/when you do get to read those books. And I think there's plenty of interface with that subject and the subject of drugs - especially "control" thereof by usgov.

I have always opposed "The War On Drugs" as I consider ingesting stuff to be a matter of personal responsibility. And likewise, individuals should be responsible for any behavior that results from ingesting stuff. I have never understood why the concept of "substance abuse" shouldn't extend to dropping a rock on your foot.

The WOD is a futile effort and a despicable waste of resources.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:44:59 PM by NoneoftheAbove » Logged

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »

It may be a while before I get to 'em actually. Kinda burnin' out on politics and such. Other than a few websites and blogs I'm pretty much sticking to fiction and poetry. What passes for news these days is just too damn depressing.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/826059,CST-NWS-bagban05.article

Tiny plastic bags used to sell small quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana and other drugs would be banned in Chicago, under a crackdown advanced Tuesday by a City Council committee.

Yes, I is convinced. Peoples who call themselves public servants have got idiot genes in their DNA.

"Damn. No more li'l plastic baggies to move my product. Guess I hafta go work at McDonald's." John Q. Drug Dealer
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »

"Damn. No more li'l plastic baggies to move my product. Guess I hafta go work at McDonald's."

P-ppptt - Riiight!

The stoopid should hurt more.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2008, 11:39:33 AM »

Mary Ann busted. Damn.

http://news.bostonherald.com/track/star_tracks/view.bg?articleid=1079652&srvc=home&position=also
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »

Well, there's still Ginger...  Embarrassed

jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2008, 05:49:31 PM »

I heard that sandwich bags store more weed and coke than sandwiches now, people have gathered statistics and cross-checked between the DEA and the FDA and all, and Reynolds and other companies who make "baggies" (but don't forget about balloon mfg's.,either) who were all like "no comment" on various congressional and like, regulatory meetings.  It's the "dirty little secret" the packaging conglomerates have no doubt acknowledged in cigar-smoke-filled boardrooms for YEARS.  For every balloon filled with helium, there's like 25-30 filled with H, supposedly, but these statistics are slow to leak out, even the Clown Association will not issue a joke about this because of the drug/balloon/circus triangle.  It's like a three-ring triangle actually, with a lot of multinationals and regulatory agencies and dictatorships with skin in the game, so anyway, next time the average american pulls that chicken salad sandwich out of the "sandwich bag," he has to realize that the repercussions resonate in areas as far apart as peru and afghanistan and it's totally international.
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »

:'(  I looked through every one of our sandwich bags. Nary a drug in any of them. What are the chances of that?

I'll keep looking...

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2008, 10:42:23 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/11/AR2008031102540.html?nav=rss_print/asection

Despite congressional demands for transparency, the Office of National Drug Control Policy has a murky budget that understates its emphasis on popular law enforcement efforts over treatment and prevention programs, budget and drug policy experts say.

The drug office's failure to comply "is part of a pattern of practices that frustrates Congress's and the public's ability to measure the effectiveness of our nation's drug control policies," said Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio), chairman of a House oversight subcommittee that will hold a hearing on the office's budget today.

The current policy is ineffective in keeping drugs out of the market but is quite effectively converting law enforcement agencies into paramilitary organizations.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »

Speaking of places that usdotgov should stay out of.

http://www.theroot.com/id/45224

March 11, 2008--When a self-righteous crusader like Eliot Spitzer is caught with his pants down, a lot of onlookers might feel a tinge of glee to see such hypocrisy revealed.  But the law under which he may be prosecuted, the Mann Act, is a relic that should give pause to anyone looking to hold Spitzer accountable in court on counts of prostitution.

End the drug war. Legalize prostitution. Quit legislating morality. Keep politics out our personal lives.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:58:56 PM by ponderosa » Logged
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2008, 04:10:41 PM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/842107,CST-NWS-bagban14.article

Tiny plastic bags used to sell small quantities of heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana and other types of drugs may not be banned in Chicago after all.

Ald. Freddrenna Lyle (6th) said Thursday she joined her colleague, Ald. Helen Shiller (46th), in sandbagging the plastic bag ban at this week's City Council meeting because it would "criminalize legal conduct."

One step in the right direction. Now quit dragging that other foot and think about why the consumption of certain substances is criminal in the first place. Prohibition does not work. Imposing morality through legislation is downright...immoral.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/26/health/main4048107.shtml

Timothy Garon's face and arms are hauntingly skeletal, but the fluid building up in his abdomen makes the 56-year-old musician look eight months pregnant.

His liver, ravaged by hepatitis C, is failing. Without a new one, his doctors tell him, he will be dead in days.

But Garon's been refused a spot on the transplant list, largely because he has used marijuana, even though it was legally approved for medical reasons.

At some, people who use "illicit substances" _ including medical marijuana, even in states that allow it _ are automatically rejected. At others, such as the UCLA Medical Center, patients are given a chance to reapply if they stay clean for six months. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

How's that democracy workin' out for ya?
bambu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »

It's now 2017, and marijuana is just as bad as it was in 2008.

"Hey, maaaaaan...I've been booooongin' on for decaaaades...aaand theeere's noooothin' wrong with meeeee."
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »

Canadian drug gangs getting rich off Aussie ice dumping
Mark Buttler, Herald Sun
August 23, 2014 5:00am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/canadian-drug-gangs-getting-rich-off-aussie-ice-dumping/news-story/0b12f89f65d748199bc6bbcad9949d7e

-------

See, it could happen anywhere, and building walls is not the answer.

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
  Print  

Jump to: