Literature > Fiction

Fiction

(1/12) > >>

Administrator:
What hot new books of fiction are you reading?

Administrator:
Discuss

FlyingVProd:
In "The Catcher in the Rye, " Holden Caulfield explains why the bad guys get all of the women, while the good guys go without...

Holden says that the women think that the good guys are arrogant, and conceited, and too perfect, so they do not go for them. While the bad guys need help, and the women feel like they can help the bad guys, it is part of their womanly instinct to want to help the bad guys.

It is an interesting theory.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh:

--- Quote from: FlyingVProd on August 01, 2018, 06:06:32 PM ---In "The Catcher in the Rye, " Holden Caulfield explains why the bad guys get all of the women, while the good guys go without...

Holden says that the women think that the good guys are arrogant, and conceited, and too perfect, so they do not go for them. While the bad guys need help, and the women feel like they can help the bad guys, it is part of their womanly instinct to want to help the bad guys.

It is an interesting theory.

Salute,

Tony V.

--- End quote ---

There are tons of good guys who lack confidence, Tony. There are tons of bad guys who are arrogant and conceited.

I think JD Salinger was just making excuses for himself.

Salinger's first marriage lasted a whopping 8 months.

His second marriage was to a college student when he was 36. He made her drop out of college months shy of graduation.

Between that and his third, he hooked up with a number of college students, first talking with them through letters, then sleeping with them, then dumping them.

His third wife was more than 40 years younger than he.

I don't think that last is necessarily problematic, but as a piece of the whole it strikes me as unwise to place too much faith in Holden's observations about women.

josh:
I thought some of you might enjoy these free pieces from Nnedi Okorafor:

http://nnedi.com/books/online_fiction.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version