Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 16868 times)

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Fiction
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »

What hot new books of fiction are you reading?

Administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Latin American Literature
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »

Discuss

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Fiction
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:32 PM »

In "The Catcher in the Rye, " Holden Caulfield explains why the bad guys get all of the women, while the good guys go without...

Holden says that the women think that the good guys are arrogant, and conceited, and too perfect, so they do not go for them. While the bad guys need help, and the women feel like they can help the bad guys, it is part of their womanly instinct to want to help the bad guys.

It is an interesting theory.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »

In "The Catcher in the Rye, " Holden Caulfield explains why the bad guys get all of the women, while the good guys go without...

Holden says that the women think that the good guys are arrogant, and conceited, and too perfect, so they do not go for them. While the bad guys need help, and the women feel like they can help the bad guys, it is part of their womanly instinct to want to help the bad guys.

It is an interesting theory.

Salute,

Tony V.

There are tons of good guys who lack confidence, Tony. There are tons of bad guys who are arrogant and conceited.

I think JD Salinger was just making excuses for himself.

Salinger's first marriage lasted a whopping 8 months.

His second marriage was to a college student when he was 36. He made her drop out of college months shy of graduation.

Between that and his third, he hooked up with a number of college students, first talking with them through letters, then sleeping with them, then dumping them.

His third wife was more than 40 years younger than he.

I don't think that last is necessarily problematic, but as a piece of the whole it strikes me as unwise to place too much faith in Holden's observations about women.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »

I thought some of you might enjoy these free pieces from Nnedi Okorafor:

http://nnedi.com/books/online_fiction.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 04:10:37 AM »

I finished reading "A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman.

It is a good book. It is kind of long, and it jumps around a lot, but it is worth the read. I recommend it.

It is about a man who lost his wife, and he just wants to die, but he is saved by his neighbors and a stray cat.

It is about people coming together as neighbors to survive the cruelty of life.

You cannot be alone, if you are loved by your neighbors.

Which is all about the commandment from Jesus to love our neighbors.

(And one thing too, it takes place in Sweden, Ove is a Swede, and I found it interesting that they had McDonald's and 7-Eleven, etc. American companies are everywhere. The first McDonald's was in San Bernardino, California, and now they are world-wide, and McDonald's is in this novel that takes place in Sweden.)

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:03 PM »

Which is all about the commandment from Jesus to love our neighbors.

The Commandment to love your neighbors as yourself predates Jesus by millennia, Tony.

https://www.jfedgmw.org/jewish-life/kedoshim-and-love-thy-neighbor-as-thyself

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »

I am reading "The Count of Monte Cristo" and it was written when the writers were paid by how long the book was, and Dumas had a whole team of writers helping him, so the book is really long, but it is supposed to be even better than "The Three Musketeers." This one will take a long time to read, but I am ready for the adventure.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »

"The Count of Monte Cristo" is like a soap opera, you are drawn in at the end of a chapter so that you eagerly await the next chapter.

It is a good book. I am enjoying it.

It was the entertainment of the age when it was written, and Dumas was a star.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/07/1984-george-orwell/590638/

Reflections on the continuing relevance of George Orwell and 1984.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 02:38:52 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 02:50:09 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 09:30:45 PM »

I just finished reading "The Count of Monte Cristo." It is a great book, but it is long. It would make a great mini-series for Netflix. Maybe someday I will produce it with Flying V Productions. I could make it in Italy at Cinecitta. We will see what happens.

Of course, "Echo, A Rock and Roll Tragedy" has to be successful for me to have any hope of filmmaking. but it is a good project, and I still have faith in it.

And I need to get my poetry book published.

We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »

I am not sure which book I shall read next, I am thinking about reading "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scarlet_Letter

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4