Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fiction  (Read 17324 times)

barton

Re: Fiction
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 09:57:52 AM »

Where Pudding  is reminded by Katje's poop of the battle of Passchendaele,  yes.   

It's so nonlinear in structure,  there's a desire to skip around.   Will see how it goes. 

barton

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »

Three Felony Opera?  (Larry said the Trump years will make a hell of an opera someday)

BTW,  Carl Hiaasen's new book,  "Squeeze Me, " is a hoot,  set in his usual Florida cesspits and swamps,  with sharp political satire (and some Trumpian jabs)  -- he is America's Evelyn Waugh.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2021, 01:21:06 PM »

Carl Hiaasen's new book... is a hoot...
As was one of his old ones....
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

barton

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2021, 08:12:04 PM »

Wasn't familiar with his YA books.  Owl ask the daughter if she read it -  she was in that demographic when "Hoot" was published. 

I came to the Hiaasen world via "Native Tongue, " which remains a favorite. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 01:00:31 AM »

You might enjoy listening to Andy Duncan's Senator Bilbo, set in the Shiremoot:
https://podcastle.org/2008/11/04/pc032-senator-bilbo/

The full print short story can be read in the anthology Extreme Fantasy, findable in archive (dot) org.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2021, 10:26:08 AM »

This review (from The Guardian)  gives a good sense of what you're getting into,  with Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" though I would be less restrained as to its brilliance.   It is a masterpiece of magical realism, and has become one of my favorite novels about the soul of America.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/jul/29/book-beach-american-gods-neil-gaiman

There are no must-read novels,  as Borges pointed out once,  but I think Borges would tell you in no uncertain terms to read this book.   

Holly Martins

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »

https://www.guernicamag.com/control-negro/

Blew me away.  A penetrating look at how a black man, a college professor, imagines his life going differently and attempts a dark experiment.  Not sure I would read it again, but I will take something away from it.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2022, 05:37:25 PM »

I thought at first this was a baseball SF book, because of the title, but I think it's just SF - still looks interesting.

An "expendable" clone refuses to die and give way to his replacement.

https://static.macmillan.com/static/smp/mickey7-book
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »

A FB group I am in wondered who among living F & SF authors will be considered "classic" (meaning great, I guess) in 100 years.

I thought back 50 and 100 years and considered the modern views of James Branch Cabell and Mervyn Peake and concluded that while I know who I think is great at the moment, I have no ability to project that view into the future a 100 years or even 50.

I would have expected Jurgen to be considered a great book longer than The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Why didn't the Fellowship just fly to Mordor on the Giant Eagles?
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2022, 02:38:25 PM »

JRR Tolkien answers the question of why the Fellowship didn't just fly to Mordor on the Eagles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Uz0LMbWpI

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ministry_for_the_Future

There are enough novels being written on this theme that it now has its own genre label: cli-fi (climate fiction).

About a third through the book.  So rich with ideas, facts, extrapolation,  various anonymous first person narrators who step in to recount their experiences, etc. that it can be a fairly slow read.  Robinson really knows his stuff, and his writing is like the iceberg tip of a vast body of research. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!

Holly Martins

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2022, 04:31:23 PM »

Wood Sorrel House, in the March 21 New Yorker, reminded me of something by Borges.  Abandon all standard story logic, ye who enter! 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2022, 07:22:49 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/books/peter-beagle-the-last-unicorn.htm

Peter Beagle has regained control of his IP, including The Last Unicorn.

Holly Martins

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »

John Banville has a new novel out.  What else do you need to know?

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2023, 04:53:48 PM »

Dipping a toe into the Easy Rawlins stories of Walter Mosley, with Six Easy Pieces.

Very readable style, from a writer with a sharp Chandlerian eye, and that knack for homing in on the telling detail without giving you five others you don't need. 
Punch, brothers, punch with care!
Punch in the presence of the passenjare!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4