Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
May 25, 2017, 02:44:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you favor or oppose a law that would ban gay marriage, requiring that marriage should be between a man and a woman?
Favor
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Rights  (Read 158546 times)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

"The purpose of writing is to annoy"

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1440 on: November 23, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »

A Gay Note

It’s nice to see the gay forum finally perk up a bit, my dears. But there’s more to being gay then just gay marriages and getting rid of DOMA and “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”

There’s something else. It has nothing to do with political commitments or upholding social responsibility. It’s about the blinding, uncontrollable pull that all those awkward human factors exert on some lives, the force that makes it impossible for the personality to sustain any connection beyond itself.

Loyalty is like an infection that such a person must fight off or succumb to. Thus, the warning of Joseph Conrad: “I only know that he who forms a tie is lost. The germ of corruption has entered into his soul.”

“The only way to survive in
this forum is to be facetious.”
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1441 on: November 23, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

The majority of the gay community is non-monogamous, and promiscuous? [not that there's anything wrong with that, it's all perfectly legal].

Peace...and God bless the kuffar.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

"The purpose of writing is to annoy"

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1442 on: November 23, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »

LITERARY THREE-WAYS

“The Third Man” three-way—
Between Harry Lime, Holly
Martin & Alida Valli is a typical
Graham Greene plot-device

Like in the 1963 short story —
“May We Borrow Your Husband?”
A rather mixed-bag comedy
That Greene wrote in Antibes

Two flamboyant homosexuals —
Plot to seduce a honeymoon
Bridegroom with the help of
Greene diverting the bride

The bored bride actually —
Puts the make on Greene but
Being the gentleman he demurs
From making love to her

Meanwhile the two fags —
Go to town with the young
Naïve handsome husband
Lavishing him with attention

Of course, Graham Greene —
Keeps up a brave front as
The detached novelist who’s
Interested only in sex comedy

“The only way to survive in
this forum is to be facetious.”
Peregrine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1443 on: March 04, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »

Though I am not cemented into a position relative to the marriage issue, I have been glad to see how the legal and societal changes have come along so that our gay friends don't have to live in the shadows anymore.  When I was a young 'un, the gay guys had to masquerade, dissimulate, hide out and fake their way thru social occasions--borrowing female chums on visits to mom 'n dad, etc.   If nothing else, the world finally got around to letting the sunshine into the dark corners.  Nice to see ordinary guys and ladies be themselves.  There will always be homophobia [see above for a few samples] but at least the closets are emptied out.
vookaleer
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1444 on: July 01, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »

A lesson for most Republican and some Democratic "Christians"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-robertson/just-because-he-breathes-learning-to-truly-love-our-gay-son_b_3478971.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D338528

Before you can be a person who can do things for other people, you have to be a person who can do things.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1445 on: July 01, 2013, 06:59:14 PM »

I am cemented into a position relative to the marriage issue;

"Separation of Church and State".

The State has laws about equality and anti-discrimination.
It should be enforcing them upon itself by marrying same sex couples.

vookaleer
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1446 on: July 09, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »

bad news for Democrats:

Even gay people can be rude and a jerk.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9462733/carolyn-moos-jason-collins-former-fiancee-remains-hurt-confused

Before you can be a person who can do things for other people, you have to be a person who can do things.
jm
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1447 on: December 28, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

Boy Scouts of America will start accepting openly gay youth on Jan 1:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BOY_SCOUTS_GAYS?SITE=PAREA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Though I can't see why any parent would want their child in this organization or any of the others mentioned in the article.  And especially when they aren't even hiring role models who support gay rights and they are forbidding expression of beliefs in their youth forum.

Not a healthy environment, at all. 

Perhaps, however, it will help some teen somewhere *just a little* whose parents were dumb enough to put them in one of these bigoted clubs.

Just here for the boys.
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1448 on: January 04, 2014, 06:09:26 AM »

Pity I wasn't a Boy Scout, then I would've learnt to tie knots properly...among other things.

jm
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1449 on: July 14, 2014, 01:40:11 AM »

Pity I wasn't a Boy Scout, then I would've learnt to tie knots properly...among other things.

You can learn to tie knots from any number of simple publications, or just go on youtube.

I think the Scouts may function differently in other countries, but in the U.S., the group is a mess.

Just here for the boys.
kamiar77
Superhero Member

Opportunity be knockin'

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1450 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:14 PM »

http://postimg.org/image/w74149u59

Why you think I'm out here actin' crazy?
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1451 on: May 26, 2015, 04:26:46 AM »

High school...no one much in high school knows anything about life.
Anti-gay day...baaah...what they gonna do when their brother or sister comes out?

kamiar77
Superhero Member

Opportunity be knockin'

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1452 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:45 PM »

High school...no one much in high school knows anything about life.
Anti-gay day...baaah...what they gonna do when their brother or sister comes out?

Why you think I'm out here actin' crazy?
pigday31
Superhero Member

Satisfy me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1453 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »

Stand up for your right to be heard, and your right to blame others for your mistakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYcMnxkc0o

I've sipped the finest brandy
Smelled the sweetest perfume
I kissed the softest lips
But even they wouldn't do
I drove the Autobahn
In a Coupe de Ville
Climbed Kilimanjaro
It was just a hill
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1454 on: February 05, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Alan Mathison Turing OBE FRS (/?tj??r??/; 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was a pioneering British computer scientist, mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst and theoretical biologist. He was highly influential in the development of theoretical computer science, providing a formalisation of the concepts of algorithm and computation with the Turing machine, which can be considered a model of a general purpose computer.[2][3][4] Turing is widely considered to be the father of theoretical computer science and artificial intelligence.[5]

During the Second World War, Turing worked for the Government Code and Cypher School (GC&CS) at Bletchley Park, Britain's codebreaking centre. For a time he led Hut 8, the section responsible for German naval cryptanalysis. He devised a number of techniques for breaking German ciphers, including improvements to the pre-war Polish bombe method and an electromechanical machine that could find settings for the Enigma machine. Turing played a pivotal role in cracking intercepted coded messages that enabled the Allies to defeat the Nazis in many crucial engagements, including the Battle of the Atlantic; it has been estimated that this work shortened the war in Europe by as many as two to four years.[6]

#####

Saving an estimated 14 million lives, it was stated in the movie about him.

Turing was prosecuted in 1952 for homosexual acts, when such behaviour was still a criminal act in the UK. He accepted treatment with DES (chemical castration) as an alternative to prison. Turing died in 1954, 16 days before his 42nd birthday, from cyanide poisoning. An inquest determined his death as suicide, but it has been noted that the known evidence is equally consistent with accidental poisoning.[8] In 2009, following an Internet campaign, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown made an official public apology on behalf of the British government for "the appalling way he was treated". Queen Elizabeth II granted him a posthumous pardon in 2013.[9][10][11]

#####

The govt man...baaah!

Where was the "Thank you very much for your wonderful efforts and hard work during the war..be off with you home now without arrest and a conviction, just be more careful what you're doing in future" mercy?
Oh no, not the cops and govt man, gotta ruin people's lives when the people haven't really done anything much wrong...and have done a whole lot right.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:04:44 AM by bambu » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97]
  Print  

Jump to: