Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 23, 2017, 06:24:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which team has the best rotation in the National League?
Padres - 2 (13.3%)
Diamondbacks - 5 (33.3%)
Mets - 2 (13.3%)
Cubs - 3 (20%)
Dodgers - 2 (13.3%)
Brewers - 0 (0%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138]
  Print  
Author Topic: National League  (Read 10597 times)
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: June 20, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »

Coco Crisp is pretty lame...for a name.

For a ballplayer, you're quite right, but for a breakfast cereal, not bad.

Whatever happened to the names like Mudcat Grant, Goose Goslin,, Dummy Hoy, Catfish Hunter, Heinie Manush, Puddinhead Jones, Sudden SAM Jones, Vida Blue, Yogi Berra, Satchel Paige, et. al.?

Vida and Satchel are given names, not nicknames - and Vida turned down a pretty big offer from Charley O. and chose not to change his name to True.

As for Coco, I enjoyed it when he was in the outfield with Milton Bradley. Now, there's a player who has game!

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
yankguy
Superhero Member

"Take the pen"

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2056 on: June 20, 2008, 02:49:12 PM »

Satchel wasn't his given name.  It was Leroy.

I just spent sixty days in the jailhouse. For the crime of having no dough, no no. Now here I am back out on the street. For the crime of having nowhere to go. Save your neck or save your brother. Looks like it's one or the other
Oh, you don't know the shape I'm in.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 20, 2008, 02:57:10 PM »

Satchel wasn't his given name.  It was Leroy.

Doh! I knew that.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2058 on: June 20, 2008, 06:18:44 PM »

Of course when he HAS a quality effort, it would behoove his teammates to get him a W (something they have done ONCE in his last 4 QS)

A genius like you should know that as a number one, Myers would be pitching against other teams' number ones...which might have and impact on the behoovement theory of yours...

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2059 on: June 20, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »

"Kid" Carter is a jackass nickname. IMO.

Then again, Gary Carter is a jackass.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
NoneoftheAbove

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2060 on: June 20, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

"Kid" Carter is a jackass nickname.

No, it's a goat nickname.

How fitting.

"Those who would give up their freedom for security will have none and deserve neither."
- Franklin (and Jefferson)
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2061 on: June 20, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »

Phils blow

Film at 11
oilcanboyd23
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2062 on: June 22, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

Mickey Klutts.
11to89

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2063 on: June 22, 2008, 09:33:26 PM »

"So, is it fair to say that Omar Minaya is the problem for the Mets?"

I wouldn't say that he's the full explanation of the Mets' poor play. It isn't his fault that RChurch collided with MAnderson (?) in the OF or that RC slid hieadfirst into 2nd base. The Milledge for RC + BSchneider trade was sound.

But he missed the overview: MAlou is like 42; PMartinez is like 34ish and doesn't have the fastball that helped to make him dominant. JValentin and Castillo are well along in their 30's, both coming off injuries. Beltran was headed for two knee surgeries. OHernandez has been pitching forever. They had too many backup role players. They needed an infusion of up and coming future players to reform the Mets core. He traded CGomez, three pitching prospects and Milledge. (The only one of the pitching prospects whose name I can remember is Humver.) MJacobs hasn't been a premiere 1B and CDelgado gave the Mets 2 - 3 good years, so I can't truly criticize that trade, even though I never liked it.

Put it this way: I'm not impressed with Minaya and I don't like his overall approach to club development, but he's probably an average or so GM, all IMO from a distance.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 09:36:08 PM by 11to89 » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2064 on: June 23, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »

Well, the Phightin's are not Phit for Phightin' as the Phalling Phlat in Philly Phlailing away and Phrittering away what lead they once had in the NL east.

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138]
  Print  

Jump to: