Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 23, 2018, 11:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be the next US President?
Bob Barr
John McCain
Ralph Nader
Barack Obama

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 690
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign Trail  (Read 44244 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3600 on: February 16, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »

Dzimas, t.c.

I knew, i had something from John Conyers this morning but this isn't it.

Black Lawmakers Rethink Clinton Support 

http://tinyurl.com/3bqzna
Rep. David Scott's defection and Rep. John Lewis' remarks highlight one of the challenges confronting Clinton in a campaign that pits a black man against a woman for a nomination that historically has been the exclusive property of white men.

"You've got to represent the wishes of your constituency," Scott said in an interview Wednesday in the Capitol. "My proper position would be to vote the wishes of my constituents." The third-term lawmaker represents a district that gave more than 80 percent of its vote to Obama in the Feb. 5 Georgia primary.

Christine Samuels, until this week a Clinton superdelegate from New Jersey, said during the day she is now supporting Obama.

Two other superdelegates, Sophie Masloff of Pennsylvania and Nancy Larson of Minnesota, are uncommitted, having dropped their earlier endorsements of Clinton.

On Wednesday, David Wilhelm, a longtime ally of the Clintons who had been neutral in the presidential race, endorsed Obama.

The comments by Scott and Lewis reflect pressure on Clinton's black supporters, particularly elected officials, not to stand in the way of what is plainly the best chance in history to have an African-American president.

"Nobody could see this" in advance, Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, the highest-ranking black in Congress, said of Obama's emergence. He is officially neutral in the race, but expressed his irritation earlier in the year with remarks that Clinton and her husband the former president had made about civil rights history.

"if it comes down to the last day and you're the only superdelegate? ... Do you want to go down in history as the one to prevent a black from winning the White House?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California, who is neutral in the race, said she hopes one or the other of the rivals emerges as the clear winner through the primaries and caucuses.

"I don't think it was ever intended that superdelegates would overturn the verdict, the decision of the American people," she said Thursday.

A.P.Bulletin
2008-02-15 08:31:52

I'm afraid this is the sentence that so far I have heard few white posters comprehend as it seems to fly right over their heads but I think the lady in the beauty parlor put it pretty well.  let's take it again from the top:
"...expressed his irritation earlier in the year with remarks that Clinton and her husband the former president had made about civil rights history."   Posters just don't understand what is was about the wording of the remark that simply just galls Black registered voters and those who were unregistered thanks to the great interest of the Bush administration. Have you read Greg Palast?

Meanwhile:
Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee campaigns in Wisconsin, a place he acknowledges leans more to the left than his politics. Huckabee wants...

pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3601 on: February 16, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »

"...says my sister who has left for St. Louis to lay
bottle caps and broken glass miniatures on the
grave of Tennessee Williams.(just kidding)

What's so funny about that?

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3602 on: February 16, 2008, 05:12:32 PM »

Maddie,

I would be delighted to meet your sista-hood. You know how to get them to me - just go to most of the pages on http://www.educationalsynthesis.org and you will see my email address at the bottom of the page.

You may remember that my family consisted of five younger sisters and no brothers. For awhile, in the last years of my mother's life, we had an emailing list among us that we kept up with each other on, including the inevitable squabbles. It  sorta died out after the burial and we all went out own ways. It was my baby sister who sent me the Sista Fairy Tale!
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3603 on: February 16, 2008, 05:53:28 PM »

Actually it is only my sister who wears hoods or, don't they call them "hoodies" today?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3604 on: February 16, 2008, 05:56:14 PM »

]

"...says my sister who has left for St. Louis to lay
bottle caps and broken glass miniatures on the
grave of Tennessee Williams.(just kidding)

What's so funny about that?

Haven't you heard of "The Glass Menagerie" or did you think it was written by Pierre Salinger, author of: Franny and Zoey ? (just kidding)
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3605 on: February 16, 2008, 06:02:08 PM »

Charming, as usual.......

(Just kidding)

Grin Grin Grin

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3606 on: February 16, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

Dzimas

I really like your yahoo news on the spot from Serbian Hall, at #3592. This is the place that I told Martinbeck3 and elportenito1 about when I first met them at nytimes ,explaining to Martin that  this is where I used to go dancing on weekends, very mixed group of dancers(except when the Serbs and Croatians were into bomb-tossing in their part of town. This is the far South Side. Now predominantly Mexican, except for the new Arts Colony built on the location of the former Kashubian settlement of the 1870s, designed by a man who was interested in Gaudi architecture and including "vistas" as in Italy), anything from kazatsky to end the evening  but mostly chain-step round dancing,with the occasional wedding dances by virgins under 12.
Keeps you warm in winter until about New Year when the temperature drops to 13 below; but whatever time of year, you can always stop by on your way home from this exercise workout to pick up a dobosh torte and late edition of the Sunday Paper to read in bed.

This place seems to have had a make over or it is just the banquet hall.

http://www.myfoxmilwaukee.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5791211&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

The only bummer here was recognizing that face !  This is drop out Tommy Thompson, and when McCain said he would put him in his cabinet as "minister of Health and Human Services", seems to me wasn't he serving in that capacity not so long ago and failed miserably at it?

Very amusing all around. It looks like a rally for winning back the homeland from the Clintons after such excellent work by Bill in the Balkans.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3607 on: February 16, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »

Charming, as usual.......

(Just kidding)

Grin Grin Grin

Well, of course, for a man who doesn't understand the definition of misogyny unless it applies to himself,  that would have to be just kidding applied to both sides of himself like a mustard plaster.

Now ask me what's funny about that?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3608 on: February 16, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »

weezo,  I think it is time you met my sister, her daughters, my daughter in law....they have a mailing list with that sort of humor.

Oh? That was "humor"?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3609 on: February 16, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »

Men and women have apparently different forms of humor, since they are serious about different things.

For instance I have to track Hillary when I've got a minute because I just noticed what Obama is doing with college circuit in Wisconsin. I used to do the college circuit during the Vietnam War as booking agent. Looking over the pictures that Dzimas included in one of his site links earlier, where you see all the bright and shiny white faces of college students, I then began to pay closer attention to where these colleges are located, Eau Claire, Green Bay(?)gee, I thought that was all Green Bay Packers and cheese-heads, then we get to Wausau in the deep forest range and I saw what's there at these schools. 

Native Americans and when you go deeper into the woods, more Native American as you head northwest to the Minnesota crossing. Shared with former Hmoong warriors from the Cambodia/Burma regions.  Cool. You betcha.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3610 on: February 16, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »

kidcarter8: "Will the McCain camp uncover blemishes Hillary's camp could not?"

You can bet the GOP is doing their homework on Obama and have a pretty good idea of what kind of a campaign they intend to run. If Romney were the Republican nominee, I would expect him to run a pretty dirty campaign. I’m not sure about McCain or Huckabee.

McCain has begun to voice his homework, apparently they-- he and Obama have crossed swords before and this led to a series of written exchanges which McCain referred to as their "love letters". Now there's a perfect example of male humor and female humor differing.  Obama is very good at returning fire with the Old War Horse, thus far.

I may return to Sunday morning television tomorrow just for the hell of it. Haven't done that in years. Can't stand those people. Politicians are bad enough(worse this year than ever) but political interviewers, aka tv journalists, are far worse.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3611 on: February 16, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »

Yeah - I hate when they get the candidates to talk about their views.  I'd rather just vote blind.
obertray

« Reply #3612 on: February 16, 2008, 07:53:36 PM »

In the words of the Italian delivery man from Brooklyn "Oh Jesus Christ, Jesus Chirst..."
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3613 on: February 16, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »

Oh dear, Maddie,

Sista-hood refers to the women in your life, not headgear. And I've seen hoods referred to as hoodies this year. Not sure why they have been re-named, but I guess someone liked the notion.

Wisconsin is an interesting place. It is flatter than any other place I've been to, but its beautiful and picturesque, especially Door County between the bay and the lake. The point between then looks like a rough place to be in a boat! And, Wisconsin cheese is great! It is much more flavorful than the packaged stuff I can get locally. The biggest problem is that it is sooo good, it never lasts!

Manitowoc, on the shore of the lake is a beautiful area. The yards are absolutely beautiful in the summer. I guess the humidity on the lake refreshes the flowers so that even in a drought they look splendid.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3614 on: February 16, 2008, 08:43:28 PM »

My dear madupont,

Speaking of humor...

Here's something very humorous...

It's something MrUtlely wrote about you over in Television Land.

It's got just the right satirical edge.

I admire MrUtley's writing very much... I hope you do too.

In Soprano-speak, I just wanna say: Ya tink you can fuckin' work any more fuckin' stereotypes and fuckin' narrow-mindedness into that fuckin' post, ya fuckin' fuck? I mean, what the fuck!!

Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 690
  Print  

Jump to: