Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Meander Where You May  (Read 16721 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Meander Where You May
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2022, 05:25:23 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/20/1100514856/longtime-new-yorker-writer-editor-roger-angell-has-died

Growing up, my family had one coffee table, quite elongated (built by my dad for the purpose of high magazine and book capacity), and there were always issues of The New Yorker, and usually something by Roger Angell in them.  Baseball fans may remember him best.
I had several of his books; basically his New Yorker baseball articles from 1966ish through maybe 1983. A great writer.

He died while I was on vacation. I was surprised no one mentioned it in the MLB forum.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2022, 12:49:13 AM »

We don't really have a place for grief on this message board or for other personal stories that are not tied to public existence.

I want to note, briefly, the passing of a friend, not a close one but a nice one regardless. He died in Feb 2021 of diabetes, at the age of 39. I didn't know because none of our mutual acquaintances were as close to him as I was and I had the best chance of hearing about it - he died 2 months after we last exchanged messages.

Life was often not what he had wanted it to be, but with encouragement, he had begun to find his way.

And then not.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2022, 01:58:43 PM »

Here is a story with a good lesson...

A lady graduated from college and her Father gave her an old Jeep that he had been saving for her, but he told her that before he gave it to her that he wanted her to take it to the used car dealer to see what he would give her for it. The lady returned, and she told her Father that the dealer said the Jeep was old and offered her $1,000 for it.

The Father then told her to take the Jeep to the pawn shop and see what they would pay her for it. The lady returned and told her Father that the pawn shop said the Jeep was old and they offered her $100 for it.

The Father then told the lady to take the Jeep to the Jeep Club and see what they would give her for it. The lady returned and told her Father that the Jeep Club said the Jeep was a collector's item and was very rare, and the Jeep Club offered her $100,000 for the Jeep.

Her Father then told her that life is like that, and that we need to go to where we are valued, if we are not valued in one place then we are in the wrong place and we need to go to someplace else where we are valued.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2022, 02:41:48 PM »

Sorry about the loss of your friend, Josh, may he rest in peace.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2022, 02:56:40 PM »

My favorite acting teacher from the AADA is in Italy right now for her 78th Birthday, she has always wanted to go to Italy so she is taking a 10 day tour for her Birthday. It is so cool, one of my favorite people is experiencing one of my favorite places. I am sure she is going to love Italy, and I am sure Italy will love her. She is a wonderful person.

She got off to a bad start because of the airport in Zurich, Switzerland, her flight was canceled a week ago and they did not tell her, so she showed up and her flight was cancelled and they knew it and did not warn her. I too had a bad experience at that airport, on my way back from Rome to Los Angeles they pulled me into a back room at the airport in Zurich and they strip searched me, they treated me like a criminal. I will never use the airport in Zurich again, it is a horrible airport. So my friend was stuck at the airport in Zurich, and meanwhile her whole group was already in Italy, she was very upset. But, it turned out that 10 people from her group also missed the plane so they are going to give her a refund and she is going to continue her trip with the group, but she will miss one day of Venice. I will never use the airport in Zurich again, but instead I will fly directly to Italy, or if I have to switch planes then I will switch planes in Paris, France, they treated me great in Paris when I went to Cannes.

My favorite teacher is in Italy right now probably, it is a short flight from Zurich to Italy. I am looking forward to reading her posts on Facebook about her trip. I love my teacher and I love Italy. I hope she loves Italy as much as I do, and I hope that Italy loves my teacher as much as I do.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:59:37 PM by FlyingVProd »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2022, 09:47:10 PM »

Sorry about the loss of your friend, Josh, may he rest in peace.

Salute,

Tony V.

Thank you, Tony.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2022, 04:11:09 PM »

My Father's cousin Sally just died, they were the same age, and they were best friends. My Father died in 1977, and she really missed him. When she added me on Facebook I could feel the love that she had for my Father. She expected a lot of me because I was my Father's son. She was certain that I must be a great man because I am the son of my Father. And even though I do not remember ever meeting her, I loved her back, I could feel her love for me and I loved her back. I feel like I let her down so far as having turned out to be a great man, but I am an honest Christian and I tried. I wish I could have been the man she thought that I certainly must be. Anyhow, may Sally rest in peace, I feel very sad, even though I do not remember ever meeting her.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »

I have a buddy who I respect a lot, and we have been friends for 20 years, but he became a hard core Trump supporter and he has changed. I miss the buddy that I used to have before he got into Trump.

My buddy said that instead of getting an education that people should go work in the construction trades, and invest money into starting businesses, instead of getting student loans and investing in your education. He said that an education actually hurts your ability to become an entrepreneur. It is all bullshit, his head is full of shit now.

I value an education, and I explained to him that instead of coming out of college deep in dept and being homeless, the graduates need to have access to business loans, etc. And people need to value educated people when they are hiring.

One example that I shared with him was about 2 daughters in Malibu who were the daughters of a wealthy business man, after the daughters graduated from college their father set both daughters up in business, one daughter got the Malibu Gym, and the other daughter got the Gemstar Limousine Service, I drove a limo for Gemstar and we were the official limousine service for the Jay Leno show, both daughters succeeded and got off to a great start in life. I explained to my buddy that the poor people need to have the same opportunities that the rich people have. And when the poor people graduate from college deep in debt they need to have opportunities to get business loans so that they can start a successful business to earn money to work their way out of debt, like the rich people do.

Poor people should not be punished for getting an education and trying to improve themselves, and for trying to make themselves more valuable, and for wanting to have a richer life. The poor people need to have access to business loans when they graduate, just like the rich people get. You graduate from college, you draw up a business plan and get a business loan and then you can work your way out of debt.

If it were up to me, I would give all Americans a free college education. And I support free community college for all Americans. The poor people need to have the same opportunities that the rich people have.

The educated people value an education.

So, all of a sudden my friend is treating me like a loser because I went to school in order to try to improve myself, and for not having succeeded after school. He said that I never follow through on anything and he is acting like I am just some bum now. And he is acting like the education and training that I got was actually a detriment to success, instead of just starting out uneducated and in the construction trades.

I did construction labor before I went to school, and I did not make shit, I was working for $10 dollars per hour, it was shit. If you are going to do construction, then my advice is to join a labor union and get fair wages and good treatment, and also prevailing wages on government jobs. Working hard and being poor sucks. If you work hard then there has to be some reward. Life should not just be punishment for being born. There has to be some good in life, and some success, and some reward for being honest and working hard. For me, doing construction labor was like I was being punished for being poor, and I had to live in the poor part of down with the bad people, it was all bullshit.

Being poor made me study twice as hard so that I could try to make myself more valuable.

I still never made any money. And my buddy is judging me by that, I am a failure in his eyes now.

And my stepfather is the same way, he never saw how hard I worked and studied, and he just thinks that I am a loser. It was like I hit a brick wall and I could not even get a job cleaning toilets in Hollywood. I worked hard and studied, but all of a sudden I am a bum because no one will hire me, and it was hard, I ended up homeless on the streets of Hollywood for 2 years, and I had a nervous breakdown and ended up in the hospital, and then I came out of the hospital homeless again before they put me in a group home that my friend Lisa owned. Lisa was a saint, and she helped me. But, the world was a cold and hard place after I went to school, it seems like everything just kept getting harder instead of getting easier, the harder I worked and the more I studied then the harder life got.

I lived for one great year in Malibu after acting school, and my roommates were all rich and educated, and I loved it, it was one of the best years of my life. So, there are some good people, and I had some good times.

But, I am sad that my buddy judges me unfairly now, and it is sad because I never judged him unfairly when he was poor and homeless, and I even gave him a free motor home for him and his girlfriend to live in, but he forgets all of that.

Sometimes you just need to let people go. People change. I do not like Trump, and Trump has had a bad effect on our nation, and on my friend and on my stepdad, all of a sudden poor people are losers, and I am a failure.

I do not see any love and support coming from the Trump crowd. And I miss my buddy, he changed, and we do not get along any more, it is sad. I have to set my boundaries and I cannot hang out with people who think I am a failure and who treat me like a loser.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:35:51 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2022, 03:03:34 PM »

I took an Italian language class at my local community college almost 20 years ago, and I remained friends with my Italian Professor, he is a great guy, and he loves Italy and Italian cinema, etc.

He said that his Italian classes are more popular now than ever, and he said that Italian cinema is also very popular now, so that is great. He said that he feels like he won the cash cow, he is doing very well now.

And Cinecitta is doing better than ever, so that is great. Maybe someday I will get to do some work at Cinecitta. When I was in Italy Martin Scorsese had just been there making "The Gangs of New York" at Cinecitta, it is a great studio.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2022, 03:24:33 PM »

I know of something cool that I could sell at the Santa Fe Springs Swap Meet, I could buy some old out-dated equipment that they used to manufacture Italian sunglasses back in the 1950s, and I could manufacture the 1950s Italian style sunglasses and I could sell them at the Santa Fe Springs Swap Meet. If you could find the old equipment that they do not use anymore, and then put it to use, then you could make some money. No one else is selling 1950s Italian style sunglasses.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »

You may notice that I have a lot of good ideas, but I never accomplish anything and I never turn my ideas into reality, and that is because I am poor, with bad credit, and I do not have a family or connections who can help me to turn my ideas into reality. An idea without money to back it up never works out, and because I have bad credit then my only chance is to get as educated and smart as I can possibly become and then succeed in having an idea brought to fruition by a generous benefactor.

With Donald Trump, he studied Business, and then he went to his Father for a Business Loan, my Father died when I was 9 years old, so I do not have anyone to go to for a Business Loan, otherwise I would have owned my own Dog Kennel 30 years ago and I would be a millionaire right now with a hot wife and a great family. It sucks to be poor and alone when I know I can run a business and earn money. Even manufacturing old out-dated 1950s Italian sunglasses with old out-dated equipment and selling the sunglasses to tourists, and also selling the sunglasses at swap meets, etc, would make money, there are a lot of ways to make money. Or I could open a night club in Rome, Italy. It just sucks to grow old poor and alone when I know I can do better.

As an actor when I was young there were so many great people and the industry seemed so exciting, and I wanted to work and get rich with all of the cool people in Hollywood. But, now it all moved to Canada, and to Georgia, and to Australia, etc. I am not going to go to Canada to work. I wanted to live in Malibu and work in Hollywood. I almost succeeded, after school I moved to Malibu and I rented a room from the ex wife of Sammy Hagar's family doctor, and I drove a limousine while I tried to get a job in Hollywood as an actor. I spent a fortune on photographers and pictures, but I never got any work. I could not even get an agent, and I could not get any auditions. You cannot get work if you cannot even get seen.

But, I have a movie script that I wrote, and I have a poetry book that I wrote, if I can make my movie and publish my book then hopefully I can make enough money to open a night club in Rome, and I want to write and produce movies and television shows. Then, if I really succeed big time then I want to buy a vineyard and winery in Tuscany.

Anyhow, I have a lot of ideas, I just need to get my ideas into the minds of people who have the money to make the ideas a reality. I also have given ideas to Mayors and other leaders, and some of my ideas have been able to help people.

So, that is my reality, I am poor with bad credit, so I am not going to be able to open my own business. I have a lot of ideas, but I do not have the money to turn my ideas into reality. I need to publish my book, and produce my movie, in order to get seed money to get started with my own night club, etc.

Of note, I studied Small Business Management Consulting so that I could help people to start and operate a successful business, the class was in conjunction with the SBA and we assisted actual clients of the SBA. Also, the professor helped poor young Black men in Compton to start their own businesses and then after they succeeded then they all took a trip to Africa together. Professor Berry from AVC was the guy, he helped poor Black people to start their own successful businesses and then they all took a trip to Africa together. I wish I had a professor to help me start a business and become successful, so it was healthy for me to train on how to teach other people to succeed. I became that which I wish I had when I needed help. If only I had a future me to come back in time to help me, the way that I help other people.

Anyhow, I spent my Stimulus Money to buy an Apple Laptop to use to publish my book, and to make or sell my movie script, but I do not know how to use it and I do not have the right programs on it, and also I need to get a wireless router, I am using a 20 year old dsl for my internet connection on a 20 year old HP computer.

My best chance is to go get help at the film school, which I have been talking about doing but have never done. I do not have a car, and it is too far to go on a bicycle. And I am not sure exactly where the school is as I have never been there.

I am tired of being poor and alone, I will tell you that much. One of these days one of my ideas will work out, and then I can move onward and upward.

And pretty soon, if nothing else, In N Out Burger pays their managers $120,000 per year, I can manage a Fast Food restaurant and I can save my money to move to Europe and open my own night club in Rome.

I am sure my poetry book and my movie script are going to be enough to at least open a night club in Rome. I just need to get help making my movie and publishing my book.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2022, 08:22:22 PM »

Tony,

It is possible that your real skills might lie in social work.  Many of your posts show a great sense of community spirit and compassion and an awareness of how people can help get their lives together.   Perhaps put the pipe dreams aside for a while (people who make it as writers or filmmakers usually do so by their late 20s or 30s).  Start with entry level social work, like assisting people in group homes with building life skills.  No degree needed.  Volunteer work can also help your resume. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2022, 09:33:23 PM »

Tony,

It is possible that your real skills might lie in social work.  Many of your posts show a great sense of community spirit and compassion and an awareness of how people can help get their lives together.   Perhaps put the pipe dreams aside for a while (people who make it as writers or filmmakers usually do so by their late 20s or 30s).  Start with entry level social work, like assisting people in group homes with building life skills.  No degree needed.  Volunteer work can also help your resume.

Thanks!

I loved volunteering with Kiwanis. Also, as a teen I went to Mexico with Youth For Christ and it was a life changing experience. I also volunteered with the Burbank YMCA at a summer camp as a teen. And I have friends who run the local Mental Health Association. I also have a Wellness Center close by where I could volunteer.

I have thought about volunteering.

Also, I have some ideas for fundraising to help the Foster Youth.

Of note, here in Anaheim the citizens are very powerful, and a lot of money flows into our city, and we own Angel Stadium, etc, the citizens have a lot of power. Part of my skill set is to teach out of touch old rich people how to help the poor and to have a sense of urgency when it comes to helping the poor. I have experienced poverty and homelessness with the poorest of the poor, but I have also studied and worked and tried to make myself valuable, and I have dined with Mayors, so I can contribute as one who has experienced poverty but I can still relate to those who are rich and powerful. I am not afraid of Mayors and other powerful people, and I can tell them directly what I think. I may be able to do stuff with the City of Anaheim and City Hall to help people.

Meanwhile, I use my computer to send ideas to everyone and I try to help people from home with my computer.

We will see what happens. Of note, doing service to help others is part of who I am, so I am sure I will find a way to help people. Also of note is that the best use of fame is to help people, if I was rich and famous I would be using my fame to help people, that is what it is all about. So, service is a part of who I am, no matter if I am rich or poor. ( And Jeb Bush met his wife while helping to build an orphanage in Mexico, doing charity work is a good way to meet people and maybe find a wife. )

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 10:25:31 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11