Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 17, 2018, 10:22:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who should be the next US President?
Bob Barr
John McCain
Ralph Nader
Barack Obama

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 690
  Print  
Author Topic: Campaign Trail  (Read 44209 times)
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3585 on: February 16, 2008, 03:41:56 AM »

Following your reasoning, both Clinton and Obama are in trouble in November. If 21 states is daunting, what will 50+ be in November?

Being a political wonk, you should know that either Hillary or Obama will have months to prepare for the general election, as well as full DNC support, and Obama is now just as much a household name as is Hillary.  I don't think he will have any problem come November, especially with the effort he has made in traditionally "red" states to get Democrats out to vote, as well as Independents.  Obama has done the ground work.  Hillary has not.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 03:43:30 AM by Dzimas » Logged
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: February 16, 2008, 03:51:22 AM »

It created an atmosphere not much unlike "The Candidate," which I believe Obbie referenced sometime back.  Like another Redford movie, Obama has turned out to be "The Natural."  How good a president he may be remains to be seen, but the guy very definitely has the gift of being able to reach out to people of all races and persuasions with one of the most genuine smiles to come down the pike in a long time.  He seems so open and accessible, which is why I think so many people are drawn to him.  By contrast, Hillary seems distant and even foreboding in the way she presents herself.  Of course, one wants to hear more of their positions and their plans but ultimately, it is how people perceive a candidate as a person that ultimately seals the deal.

I pretty much agree with everything you have said here.

The line at the end of The Candidate is exactly what I fear with President Obama.

And, as well, the ending of the Natural - not the movie, with its Hollywood ending, but the brilliant novel by Bernard Malamud. A heartfelt victory of the spirit, embodied by our hero's striking out, instead of the homer of the movie. A triumphant moment that got refilmed because the American audiences didn't get the other ending.

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
josh
Superhero Member

Bohemian, indeed

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: February 16, 2008, 03:53:24 AM »

Following your reasoning, both Clinton and Obama are in trouble in November. If 21 states is daunting, what will 50+ be in November?

Being a political wonk, you should know that either Hillary or Obama will have months to prepare for the general election, as well as full DNC support, and Obama is now just as much a household name as is Hillary.  I don't think he will have any problem come November, especially with the effort he has made in traditionally "red" states to get Democrats out to vote, as well as Independents.  Obama has done the ground work.  Hillary has not.

More than twice the number of states in less than twice the amount of lead time. I pray he won't have any problem come November. I am unconvinced. (No, I am no more convinced of Clinton.)

Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3588 on: February 16, 2008, 04:08:10 AM »

Yea, puget, there is a bit of the "Evita Effect," or one might also call it the "Lurleen Effect," as in Lurleen Wallace.  I think Hillary is amply "qualified" to be president, unlike Evita, but the attachment with being a former first lady has a dynastic quality that most people would just assume not see again.

As for Josh's worries that Obama couldn't handle a general election, I have to say at this point, more people probably know who Obama is than they do McCain.

Obama went into Super Tuesday with only one primary win to his credit, South Carolina.  Iowa being that caucus that doesn't count.  I think he did damn well considering the amount of support Hillary had, not to mention her uncounted "victories" in Florida and Michigan that got plenty of press.  The Obama camp wanted to come out of Super Tuesday with at least five states and they ended up with 13.  They aimed mostly at the states where Hillary had not invested much political infrastructure into, and picking a couple states where they felt they could challenge her political machine, i.e. Missouri. The Obama camp hoped to carry California, which was probably their only disappointment that day, but many in the state had already voted so there was little appreciable effect of the momentum Obama had at the time.  It was a great day for Democrats, as most if not all states reported record numbers of voters. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:16:39 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3589 on: February 16, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »

I love Hillary's latest gambit,

In Wisconsin, she's airing ads criticizing Obama for refusing to debate her in the state — which Obama called a "curious argument" since they have two debates scheduled in the next two weeks. But he added more campaign stops before Tuesday's primary to shore up his support.

an act of almost total desperation, especially since she currently has her surrogate, Chelsea, campaigning in Wisconsin for her.  Meanwhile,

Obama's support from SEIU and the 1.3-million member United Food and Commercial Workers a day earlier gives him an organizational boost in those critical states with large numbers of working-class voters. Sarah Swisher, a superdelegate and an SEIU member from Iowa City, switched from Clinton to Obama after her union's endorsement.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080216/ap_on_el_pr/obama

which is certain to sway voters in union states like Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:24:03 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3590 on: February 16, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »

And this was the President, who wanted us to not stop thinking about tomorrow,

"There are two competing moods in America today," Clinton said. "People who want something fresh and new -- and they find it inspiring that we might elect a president who literally was not part of any of the good things that happened or any of the bad things that were stopped before. The explicit argument of the campaign against Hillary is that 'No one who was involved in the 1990s or this decade can possibly be an effective president because they had fights. We're not going to have any of those anymore.' Well, if you believe that, I got some land I wanna sell you."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/15/bill-clinton-obama-not-_n_86956.html

Sounding like the cheap real estate agent he has become on this campaign trail.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3591 on: February 16, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »

Hillary's really strong, it's jsut that everyone is so MEAN....whiining from Susan Ethrich:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20080215/cm_uc_crsesx/op_395286

ah, Susan all was fair when you distorted Joe Biden's words to make him look like a plaigiarizer, and now the press is so un-un---uhhh waaaaaaaaa---sob---unfair!

sniffle.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
rmdig

« Reply #3592 on: February 16, 2008, 10:56:42 AM »

dzimas --

I'm really surprised by how patronizing Bill is with reference to Obama.  Does Bill think people have forgotten how young and untried he was when he made his run for the White House?   
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3593 on: February 16, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »

Bill probably has bought into the notion entertained by many politicians and the media that the "public"s memory is just a moment in time. He forgets that when you separate "the public" into individuals you get a delightful variety in memory lengths, many of which remember being enamored of JFK as a handsome young president full of vigor and promise. Many have tried since to emulate that emergent vigor of camelot, and Bill was one of them. Now, he would deny that stance to Obama? His bad!
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3594 on: February 16, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »

With the troubles Hillary is having distinguishing herself from Bill, and then lapsing back into his strong arms when others wave hatchets, the following Fairy Tale is dedicated to Hillary:

''THE WORLD 'S SHORTEST FAIRY TALE!"
Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl 'Will you marry me?' The girl said:'NO!' And the girl lived happily ever-after and went shopping, dancing, camping, drank martinis, always had a clean house, never had to cook, did whatever the hell she wanted, never argued, didn't get fat, traveled more, had many lovers, didn't save money, and had all the hot water to herself. She went to the theater, never watched sports, never wore friggin' lacy lingerie that went up her ass, had a high self esteem, never cried or yelled, felt and looked fabulous in sweat pants and was pleasant all the time.

The End
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3595 on: February 16, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »

weezo,  I think it is time you met my sister, her daughters, my daughter in law....they have a mailing list with that sort of humor.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3596 on: February 16, 2008, 04:30:41 PM »

What's so funny about it?

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3597 on: February 16, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »

Dzimas, re: #3581,3585,3591

Interesting you should mention it, I just got my notification of sign up since Obama will be showing up in Pennsylvania.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jan/23/usa.uselections2008

No joke, this was how it was done in S.Carolina,throughout the South--

(we are reminded of how many Northern African-Americans have relocated South since life became better there; no one is interested in seeing it revert again due to a wimp who could not vote her own consciencse on matters of life and death and might really screw things up further)
--and all Northern cities with large African-American populations but even more so in small cities and small towns/ or the equivalent of the barbershop( I should have posted that as well) or as the word has often been told me, "they do not know how to cut my hair".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 04:48:28 PM by madupont » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3598 on: February 16, 2008, 04:47:31 PM »

Dzimas, to continue

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/

What awaits in Wisconsin, 75 inches of snow thus far this winter, says my sister who has left for St. Louis to lay bottle caps and broken glass miniatures on the grave of Tennessee Williams.(just kidding)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3599 on: February 16, 2008, 04:51:41 PM »

Dzimas, to continue,

Now here's the real problem Obertray should be informed of and then he can crunch the numbers again for us in his own inimitable style.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0208/8535.html
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 690
  Print  

Jump to: