Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
October 23, 2017, 06:26:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you support or oppose the creation of a guest worker program that would allow illegal immigrants to register for temporary legal status and employment?
Support
Oppose
Unsure

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254]
  Print  
Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 17165 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3795 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »

Hey, Utley,

I'm not the one who has to wear his stones emblazoned on his chest to prove his a man, you are!

I don't know what more specifics you want about the immigration laws than to say the the quotas are unjust. You just mill about claiming I haven't given you enough information because you're just to lazy to look it up for yourself.

Interesting how you want everyone to do your homework for you while you stand about in the front of the class being clueless. Also interesting how you sink to ad hominims, accusing folks of stuff they haven't said and don't mean at all, in order to cover your own ignorance.

It is your pattern to take what has been launched your way and try to make it the other poster's problem.

If you were an honest person, which you clearly demonstrate you are not, you would admit that you shot your mouth off, and failed to provide any specific data to support your claims.

Thus schooled, you attempt to school others.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3796 on: June 17, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure that's what everyone is thinking now.

"Gosh, there goes another Martin Luther King, Jr."

The fact is you have failed to make a case for abandoning borders, but instead clothe yourself in your best activist clothes and declare your own superiority. Nice to see you have so much in common with George W. Bush, who essentially did the same thing when he wrapped himself in military garb and the flag and declared "Mission Accomplished".

He was wrong, and so are you, and you both look silly doing it.

But go ahead and "Stay the course".

Nothing like a little goalpost shifting, is there?

You said I was advocating anarchy.

I proved the opposite by citing an example.

Game, set, and match to the cap!

Forum for the Self- Delusional >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3797 on: June 17, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »

Rise of drug-resistant tuberculosis in the UK 'is linked to immigration'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-563410/Rise-drug-resistant-tuberculosis-UK-linked-immigration.html

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3798 on: June 17, 2008, 02:02:26 PM »

And measles, smallpox, and other diseases suffered by the Native Americans were "linked to" the Europeans. What is your point?

As to you turning the point of the unjust laws to me for proof that they exist, I did so. You didn't like it, so you make up this wonderful fairy tale about how I don't do this or that that you think I should. So what? What defense is there for someone who hates motor sports?
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3799 on: June 17, 2008, 02:17:37 PM »

"The Lady" was never intended to be connected to immigration, legal or illegal. Her proper name is "Liberty Enlightening the World", and she symbolized the power of freedom to bring knowledge and enlightenment to the world. The poem from Emma Lazarus was written for a contest, and was only added on to the statue a number of years later.

I have nothing against poor people; I grew up poor, and that is true of many people. The point is that as a constantly evolving, 21st century economy, our use for the illiterate and unskilled becomes more limited. We have only so many unskilled jobs, and we simply can't accept unlimited unskilled people. You seem to think this country is still "the richest in the world". In fact, the middle class is dwindling, middle class workers are being replaced by overseas and other workers in foreign nations, and even those who are still employed may be having to work more than one job as salaries stagnate.

That is why I favor taking care of our own people, and only allowing immigration to the extent that it is actually beneficial to the country, not to the corporatocracy that looooves cheap labor.

chak,

The fact is that with unlimited numbers of desperately poor people in Mexico and countries south of there, there is a serious potential for swamping our country with untold millions of uneducated, unskilled poor people who will be a severe strain and burden on our society.

Why don't you take your little hammer and your little chisel and hack Emma Lazarus's words right of the Lady in the Harbor.

Seems to me that the people you denigrate are precisely the ones she welcomes.

Then again, we all know that Chakman knows more than the Lady.

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."---Scotty, "Star Trek III."
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3800 on: June 17, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »

Cap, if anyone on this forum is obsessed with color, it would be...uh...you. Wanting to give preference to would-be immigrants who speak the language of this country and won't be trying to bring over all their relatives or setting up enclaves of foreigners who don't want to assimilate is simple self-preservation for our society. It has nothing to do with color, and everything to do with wanting immigrants that will (eventually, at least) blend into the American scene. You're the one who always tries to bring race into the equation.  Huh

Just my .02 on "unjust laws": what is "unjust" about putting limits on immigration? The "quota" system needs to be revised to give preference to immigrants who speak English, have at least a high-school education, will not engage in "chain migration", etc. The "family reunification" use of immigration has been extremely overdone, with a resulting explosion in the foreign population but little increase in "Americanization" or assimilation. Our society is being balkanized into competing linguistic/ethnic groups in too many places. A reasonable amount of legal immigration is beneficial for the country; uncontrolled and unlimited, often illegal, immigration is not. We need to separate legal and illegal immigration from our national discussions: they are not the same thing.

Still channeling the 19th Century Know Nothings, we see.

If we only allowed English speakers into the country, we would have deprived ourselves of two of the greatest, most patriotic Americans who ever lived, Irving Berlin and John Philip Sousa.

Then again, neither of them were BROWN!

When will you finally own up to the fact that all your "arguments" eventually devolve into color?  Can't you at least be that honest with yourself?

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."---Scotty, "Star Trek III."
srnich

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3801 on: June 17, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

chak, if the residents of Mexico were white and spoke English, you couldn't distinguish them from most of America.

Be patient, it's happening as we speak.

Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3802 on: June 17, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

The wealthy can get along without most of us quite well:

http://www.truthout.org/article/this-land-is-their-land

Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3803 on: June 17, 2008, 05:19:42 PM »

Children of S Asian origin/heritage ace national spelling bee:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7443800.stm

(Now that's assimilation!)

weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3804 on: June 17, 2008, 05:23:28 PM »

Cute article, but a bit past being believable, unless your idea of beautiful places is quite limited. I still have my view of the Virginia Piedmont out my window here, and a wide expanse of the Chesapeake Bay at our "second home". The values will rebalance with a new presidential administration. The rich are never going to cut their own grass or fix their own toilets!
Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3805 on: June 18, 2008, 05:42:29 PM »

The US isn't the only Western nation placing illegal aliens in detention. The EU is following suit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/19/world/europe/19migrant.html?hp
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:44:13 PM by Chakotay » Logged

Chakotay

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3806 on: June 24, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »

Group using racketeering law against landlords who rent to illegal aliens:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/nyregion/22immigrant.html?ex=1214798400&en=c44b70bbcfb1e2cb&ei=5070&emc=eta1

That's a new approach, but against the slumlords who specialize in cramming 30 illegals into an apartment, a good idea, IMO.

Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254]
  Print  

Jump to: