Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
August 23, 2017, 03:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asia  (Read 49655 times)
kevo

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

Hmmm! its better than African politics in a way!
bodiddley

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »

NK sank a SK ship!

When is KJI going to die?... must be about 100 by now.

Kim Il Sung would be 100 next year.
But he dropped dead in 1994.
His son just died at 70.
So from the Great Leader to the Dear Leader to Huh

The people should just march to the border(s) and demand to go through.
Be interesting to see if this next generation can keep tens of millions locked up ...
madupont

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »

Kissinger?

Baaah!

He and Ford gave Indonesia the green light to invade East Timor 9 days after it
gained its independence from Portugal, using US weapons it was supposed to be using only for defence.
200,000 East Timorese people were genocided...UN report.

Where's the war crimes trial?

Actually, Ford was possibly a cover under the guise of showing him the ropes.

This entire story was reported by Amy Goodman.  About Spring of 2002, just before I moved from the farm, a family if Indonesians suddenly arrived as neighbors/tenants of a Mennonite friend of mine.  She felt they didn't look Dutch to her. To relieve her anxiety I went over with a welcoming present since the trees that I'd begun before moving from the Princeton area,Hopewell to be precise , were now in bloom. The tenants weren't Dutch but often went back to collect the welfare that Nederlands offered profusely. The wife would take one or the other of the two daughters; and, it was assumed that they were still living there. The Dutch are very liberal with Christian  welfare assistance.
                                           Our problem however was that we had an airstrip on the acreage; that had been obviously visible by anyone driving up to or down from State Hill. The wife checked that out immediately, after moving into a house with plentiful window views of the entire layout. She went to see the landowner with his welding shop in the back near the hangar beyond the barn and asked if he could repair a piano wire attachment inside the piano.   
                                            Her husband did not know much about things Dutch, however. He made a point of inviting me to a church he was conducting which sounded more like a bank: First Capital. I pointedly responded that wouldn't be necessary  as I used to go to the Dutch church in Blawenburg just northwest of Princeton (which had been there since the first Dutch migrated inland from New York. They had a beautiful church organ at the front of the church, where other denominations might have an altar. It had gilt pipes and blue fleur de lis decoration, as a gift from the King of France,to make up for earlier persecutions.  This was how I began to discover this guy from Indonesia did not know much about the Dutch, when in truth I usually went to Blawenburg church only at about this pre-Christmas time of year, to attend the Tentoonstelling which was like a Dutch market-fair where you bought  bulbs like paperwhites to start in time for Christmas; other Christmas hand sewn items, spices like pink peppercorns; baby buntings, antiques, second-hand clothes. I've bought a tin lamp, sofa pillow covers, a spindle-back rocking chair from Mr. Verbost, our dry-cleaner in Princeton. Then you go to eat erwtensoep, apples and Gouda cheese, and apfel kuchen.

While we were talking, I noticed an older Asian couple, more Chinese than Indian in appearance come out the kitchen back door, and the rather tall Indonesian became upset and motioned to them to go back in the house. But then his daughters came running out. This is when I noticed, as I handed her the Pussy-willow branches, when she turned into the sunlight that her eyes were that give-away gray color, and I immediately said something like "...oh,my goodness"

"you have eyes like my friend Indi Den Das who was born in Java, Indonesia."

The Indonesian then replied in utter astonishment," That's where I am from, Java, Indonesia".   Which of course is a very short flying distance from Timor.
                    I  found it impossible to contact INS in Philadelphia. They no longer answered the phones because they had a five year back log.  I moved, the war began in March 2003; and, I was so shocked that it had begun, I phoned my Mennonite friend and cried and cried until I calmed down. She told me before our conversation was over that her tenants had moved out to somewhere near the vineyards  on the Strasburg road but she didn't know exactly where.
bambu

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:55 PM »

Actually, they both seem 'guilty'.

Java?

Indonesians?

Schapelle is said by many to have been shouted at with the fire eyes of hatred by the Indonesian judges and sentenced to 20 years in hell as payback for Dutch rule of Indonesia.

http://candobetter.net/node/1933

Schapelle to be sent to die in remote Java prison

There are new fears for her life with a top secret plan to transfer her from her Bali jail to a remote prison in Java, reports Corby biographer Kathryn Bonella. The nightmare Schapelle Corby has been fearing for the past five years is now a reality, as a secret document outlining her transfer to a new faraway prison has been leaked exclusively to Woman's Day.

Indonesia said the transfer order was a fake Smiley and her transfer to the remote Java prison where she surely would've died did not go ahead.
Fake, my ass.
Schapelle wrote in her book that the guards regularly taunt her her with "White monkey
we move you tonight".

They come for you in the middle of the night and you are never seen or heard from again.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »

A labor movement in China needs to happen NOW!

Here is a link for a video that I made about how to save and improve our entire world economy, and a labor movement in China is the answer, the same way that a labor movement in Poland helped to bring down the USSR and helped to bring down the Berlin Wall, and helped to bring freedom, democracy, and improved human rights, to over 300 million people, a labor movement in China needs to happen NOW, and it would help to improve our entire world economy...

http://tinyurl.com/3b7jnxo

When I lived in Malibu one of my roommates was the daughter of a general in communist China, and we talked for hours about how to bring freedom, democracy, and improved human rights, to China, and I explained to her how what was happening in China was hurting the world economy, and about how things would just continue to get worse and worse until freedom, democracy, and improved human rights, and fair pay and good treatment for workers, happened in China. We both wanted to see things get better in China, and we both wanted the world economy to be saved and improved, and we both agreed that it will take reason and wisdom and brilliant people to improve things in China peacefully without a blood-bath, and a labor movement in China is the answer, the same way that a labor movement in Poland helped to bring down the USSR and helped to bring down the Berlin Wall, and helped to bring freedom, democracy, and improved human rights to over 300 million people PEACEFULLY. It can all happen peacefully with a labor movement in China.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »

Here is a link for a thread that I started on the Topix forum for China pertaining a labor movement in China...

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/china/TOH5A6KBGGT7L0AOB

And, on the Hainan Island incident, on April 1, 2001, the pilot Wang Wei held up a sign with his email address on it, I think that Wang Wei was trying to give his email address to the pilots of the American EP-3, I think that Wang Wei wanted to communicate with the Americans on the world wide web, the way that we all talk on Topix now, etc. I think that Wang Wei wanted to be friends with the Americans on the world wide web. It was sad that Wang Wei died. Wang Wei might have been a really good guy.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »

On the issue of the Middle East...

One reason why the Muslims are all screwed up, is that they live in countries where the governments are wealthy from oil, and so the Muslim people of those nations are receiving Welfare from the oil money, and so the people do not have financial freedom, nor do they have religious freedom, nor any other kind of freedom, the governments control everything. In the USA the people own and control everything, including the oil companies, and the people of the USA have the power, and we control our government, but it is different in Saudi Arabia, and in other parts of the Middle East. That is one problem pertaining Iraq and Afghanistan, is getting the people into peaceful employment, getting them all working, and teaching them that with democracy the people own everything and the people have the power. The government can govern, and can enforce fair trade rules, and labor laws, and environmental protection laws, and worker safety rules, etc, etc, etc, but it should all be of the people, by the people, for the people, like in the USA. Countries where all of the people are on Welfare, such as in the Middle East, are not free nations. That is part of the problem with the Middle East.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »

Here is something for the rumor mill...

I heard that the Japanese are going to invest one trillion dollars in Anaheim, California. I do not know how I feel about this. I would rather see Americans investing in Anaheim.

The economy in Anaheim will boom if the Japanese pump a trillion dollars into the local economy here. That is a lot of money.

Also, there was the plan to build a high speed train between Anaheim and Las Vegas...

Link...

http://www.canv-maglev.com/

A lot of great things can happen in Anaheim.

Salute,

Tony V.

P.S.

The Chinese might help to build the high speed rail between Anaheim and Vegas...

China could fast-track high-speed rail from Las Vegas to California
By Scott Lucas

Monday, Oct. 5, 2015 | 2 a.m.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/oct/05/china-could-fast-track-high-speed-rail-from-las-ve/

-------------------

Anaheim has Mito, Japan, as a sister city...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbzcRVFqZEU

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:33:26 PM by FlyingVProd » Logged
kamiar77
Superhero Member

Opportunity be knockin'

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2015, 12:05:02 AM »

One reason why the Muslims are all screwed up, is ...

Tony V.

You're an ugly ape.

Why you think I'm out here actin' crazy?
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2015, 06:29:01 AM »

One reason why the Muslims are all screwed up, is ...

Tony V.

You're an ugly ape.

Muslims;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5TK2OmTkSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLN11ym5uXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgLWcsbOD8k

Peace...and God bless the kuffar.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:49 AM »

The government of France owns a forty three percent voting share in Nissan of Japan... (Via Renault)

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Nissan

So, I bet that the Japanese love the French!

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »

Here is a thread that I started on the Topix page for Manila, Philippines...

http://www.topix.com/forum/ph/manila/TM6G11E8D1MCM9H2R

Salute,

Tony V.

P.S.

The Filipinos are welcome to join the Elks when they come to America, and there are Elks clubs in the Philippines as well...

Link...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevolent_and_Protective_Order_of_Elks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 07:30:13 PM by FlyingVProd » Logged
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/national/husband-of-snake-bite-victim-remembers-his-wifes-tragic-final-words/story-fncynjr2-1227492327282

Husband of snake bite victim remembers his wife’s tragic final words

Professor Wortham said he tried to revive his wife when she collapsed by the car, but it was too late.

“I asked if she was OK. She said she felt a bit woozy and she collapsed. I rang triple-0 and was following directions on CPR and within five minutes paramedics arrived. They all tried desperately hard,” the 74-year-old English professor said.

Mrs Wortham was rushed to Perth’s Fiona Stanley Hospital but couldn’t be revived.

#####

The only good snake is a dead one...but the damn things are protected!

Barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »

Bit of a digress, but when did everyone stop calling chinese money "yuan," and start calling it "renminbi"?  It's harder to type and speak, and it's a formal term for the currency generally, so I don't really see why it's suddenly appearing on blogs, articles, postings.  Isn't it kind of like pompously calling the dollar "federal reserve notes"?  I'm not a money person, so go easy on me if this sounds naive/dumb.

"A fool and his money are soon elected." - Will Rogers
bambu
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »

Bit of a digress, but when did everyone stop calling chinese money "yuan," and start calling it "renminbi"?  It's harder to type and speak, and it's a formal term for the currency generally, so I don't really see why it's suddenly appearing on blogs, articles, postings.  Isn't it kind of like pompously calling the dollar "federal reserve notes"?  I'm not a money person, so go easy on me if this sounds naive/dumb.

When? why?

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2010/06/21/yuan-or-renminbi-whats-the-right-word-for-chinas-currency/

Renminbi — abbreviated RMB — is the formal term most often used by Chinese officialdom to refer to the currency. (It’s also nice to drop into conversations here and there though to impress the boss.) Literally, it means “People’s Currency.”  But it’s a too stuffy for everyday use. “No one says RMB,” Cheng Li, a senior fellow at Brookings told MarketBeat.

It seems like there’s not a really good equivalent to renminbi in American English, maybe something like “legal U.S. tender.” Yuan is renminbi, just like the dollar is legal U.S. tender — but so are dimes, nickels and quarters.

The yuan is the actual unit. It’s pretty much the equivalent to “dollar.” It’s more likely to be used in everyday interactions. Further down the slang spectrum is “kuai,” which is sort of like saying “a buck,” here in the states.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: