Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
November 18, 2017, 08:02:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asia  (Read 1173 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »

For me, it was surprising to find it reported in the Santa Barbara News, a paper that has been going through ownership and managerial upheaval. It indicates that there is more than average local interest in conditions in China. Why?  It is first of all a community with a business interest in doing business with China; more Republican than average. Going through the article and links that led me to this particular piece of news --reminded be of how very dull the place can be; charming but dull. That's a downer. I've outgrown it. A Nice Place to Visit but why live there to the sound of oil wells being drilled out at sea?  Perhaps because if the wind carries that sound, it also carries the sound of the sea-lions and seals barking.

The primary business however would be the Olympics.  Which is why I dropped a post to elportenito1 to check this article posted in this forum. You have to take precautions. Those little pharmaceutical equipment masks of which the Japanese are, for instance so fond of -- as a crowd going about in a crowd--wearing as a civic precaution, are worth while as well as a great deal of handwashing. (I used to get a regular supply of Sandalwood soap for use until I found that this government produced soap [Bee and Flower brand] was an insufficient amount to "kill all the germs". Nice cosmetic soap, inexpensively, for those with a tendency to oily complexion)

This is why I have remarked to Dzimas at the appropriate occasions that the maintenance of the WHO, the World Health Organization, at the United Nations is not to be sneezed at by ordinary Republican constituency who think it is a case of their gov't in the US paying an extra expense to an international body that ought to be closed down in the interest of "small government" as if we were not at all involved in some over-reaching hegemony to control the world's provender specifically for our use.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »

THE COOLIE TRADE
Author: Meagher, Arnold J.

Review Date: MARCH 12, 2008
Publisher:Xlibris (477 pp.)
Price (paperback): Manuscript
Publication Date: 2008
ISBN (hardback): 978-1-4363-0943-1
Category: AUTHORS
Classification: NONFICTION

A thorough study of the roots of modern human trafficking and Chinese emigration.

Against the backdrop of China’s rapid advance to the forefront of the world economy and sharp scrutiny over global trends in human trafficking, Meagher’s exhaustive survey of Chinese indentured labor is a richly informative, timely release. His volume, much broader in scope than the Latin America in his subtitle indicates, is a careful examination of cultural, political and socioeconomic factors that contributed to this phenomenon. Meagher argues that the termination of the African slave trade, an urgent need for laborers in the West and a deteriorating Chinese economy conspired to spawn the emigration of more than a quarter million Chinese laborers to Latin America in the span of 28 years. Beginning in 1847, Chinese emigration quickly evolved into a prosperous black market cottage industry that, alongside the illicit opium trade, attracted enterprising, often dubious characters. These overlords relentlessly plundered China’s human resources to satisfy a labor vacuum in the West. Scheming brokers often used any means available—false promises, deceit and fraud—to lure prey aboard ships. Victims of kidnapping account for more than a quarter of the human cargo, while appalling prison-like conditions, mutinies and disease resulted in a 12 percent mortality rate during the nine-month voyage. Great Britain and the United States abandoned the coolie trade in the mid 1860s after much public outcry. Trafficking, however, continued to flourish until 1874 aboard other ships sailing for Latin America, often destined for Cuba and Peru, where booming sugar, guano and mining industries demanded a steady flow of fresh workers. This authoritative account is acutely critical of the coolie trade as a means by which the slave trade continued in the West, but suggests it did have its advantages: challenging draconian Chinese taboos that once forbade emigration and introducing Chinese culture to Western society.

The author’s fluid, conversational style elevates Meagher’s work from the weight that often bogs down other academic texts. Engaging and topical fare.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ps. To me, this points out the origins of the insidious American belief  that "China" maltreats the workers (compared to here for instance where the US administration does not maltreat the workers?).  I'm saying it is a compensatroy psychological mechanism for excusing one's more uncivilized behaviour; and then, the children overhearing you, repeat it, on to the last generation.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:25 PM »

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/huge-quake-kills-thousands-in-china/20080512061409990001

Felt from Pakistan to the Pacific.

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2008, 11:24:52 PM »

1-child policy has exceptions after China quake
By CARA ANNA,                                         
Associated Press
Posted: 2008-05-26 16:27:34
BEIJING (AP) -
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/1-child-policy-has-exceptions-after/n20080526162709990022
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »

Some ideas for Australia...

Australia exports to China, China imports 4.4% of their imports from Australia. Australia can help to feed China, and Australia can also supply China with beer and wine. Then, as the workers of China begin to see wage increases then Australia will see increases in exports to China.

Also, Australia has gold. The people of India love jewelry. The Australians need to mine gold and make jewelry and export the jewelry to India. And as the economy in India improves, then Australia will export more goods to India.

Those are just a couple things that I noticed on the CIA World Factbook...

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

China and India are huge, and Australia can do a lot of trade with them.

Salute,

Tony V.
FlyingVProd

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »

China set to overtake UK for Australian wine

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/australian-wine-in-china-exports-2015-289862/

=========

Wine to China

Trends and opportunities

The Market

https://www.austrade.gov.au/Australian/Export/Export-markets/Countries/China/Industries/wine

----------

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: