Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604783 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1065 on: August 20, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »

When confidence and trust in public institutions drops,  crime goes up.  Opportunists and the alienated see the failure of institutions to self correct as a door that's excitingly ajar.  Trump's taking office was the equivalent of breaking every window in South Chicago.   He convinced people that he was leading an insurrection against corrupt elites while he set about installing corrupt elites that made the previous ones look like Mother Theresa.  Their only interest in the poorer neighborhoods of Chicago,  or any other city,  is to serve as Battle Royales that will reduce the population of what they see as irredeemable lowlifes.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: August 20, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »

From late 2016

The Obama administration is publicly handing Donald Trump a gift as he prepares to enter the White House: a degraded ISIS. The question is what the President-elect will do with it.

The US has said that US-led airstrikes have killed up to 75% of ISIS fighters and 180 of its leaders, assessing that the international anti- ISIS coalition has choked the group's ability to recruit foreigner fighters, undermined its propaganda efforts and helped Iraqi forces retake territory.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/12/14/politics/isis-degraded-trump-policy/index.html

From early 2017

But in the Trump administration’s first major announcement of its still-nascent plans to defeat the militants, Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson on Wednesday closely parroted Mr. Obama’s strategy. His comments came as talk of fighting the Islamic State was overshadowed by an attack in London that killed four and injured 40. It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the attack, or if the Islamic State was linked to it.

In his 20-minute speech, Mr. Tillerson noted that over the past year, the flow of foreign fighters into Iraq and Syria had dropped more than 90 percent, and that 75 percent of the Islamic State’s online propaganda had been eliminated. Both gains occurred largely on Mr. Obama’s watch.

“Reflecting on the past year or so, we should be encouraged by the significant progress we as a coalition are making,” Mr. Tillerson said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/world/middleeast/rex-tillerson-isis.html

So glad the trends continued into early 2018, but seems now Trump is dropping the ball.

Nah

But anyway........

2+ ..... or 6+ more years

Work still to be done, as noted

Not unlike with the DEBT.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 20, 2018, 07:23:42 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-weekend-violence-20180820-story.html

Even with 600 more officers on the street, nearly as many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend as earlier this month when a spike in violence prompted the boost in deployment.

At least 58 people were shot in the city from late Friday afternoon through early Monday and seven of them were killed.

They included two boys, 16 and 17, found shot in death in a Far South Side field days after their mothers reported them missing; three men wounded during what witnesses said was a peace picnic at the Near North Side’s Seward Park; a woman and four men hit by gunfire hours after a Sunday afternoon softball game near a South Side grade school; and seven shot Friday evening in West Englewood, including a 3-year-old boy hit in the shin.

Two weekends ago, at least 74 people were shot. On that Sunday, Aug. 5, more people were shot in a single day since at least September 2011, when the Tribune began tracking every shooting in Chicago. At least 47 were hit by gunfire, 40 of them during a seven-hour period.

The bloodshed brought demands from community leaders for action, and the city responded by sending in more than 600 extra police to neighborhoods hardest hit by the violence.

A clearly frustrated police Superintendent Eddie Johnson acknowledged Monday that his department "can only do so much."

"Crime isn't just about what the police do," he said at a news conference at police headquarters to talk about the weekend violence. "Crime is about what the criminals do.

"Let's not forget the police aren't the ones out there doing it. We can only do so much," Johnson continued. "We cannot be on every street corner . . . every moment of the day. We just can't. That's an impossibility. It's unreasonable. There's no police department in this country that can do that."

Someone was shot in nearly every police district this past weekend, a Tribune analysis shows.

So what is really wrong within these communities?

Larry, you have cousins everywhere, and you like to speak for everyone within each community in the nation, what's your take? Do we blame the NRA? The KKK? The police? Institutional racism? Seriously, who is really accountable for these massacres?

And do try to take the question, seriously, and not deflect, Larry.

The ridiculous drug war ramping up under Jeff Sessions, lax gun laws in the areas surrounding Chicago, endemic and systemic racism in that Chicago PD has little credibility among the citizens the cops are sworn to serve and protect, the profit motive driving the drug trade, (criminalization drives up costs, competition for “corners” lead to conflict, conflict leads to violence) which comes back to the laws of capitalism - supply and demand - no demand, no supply.

Also, let’s face it, crooks gonna crook, just like EVERY ethnic group facing “economic uncertainty” since the founding of the republic.

Everybody is wringing their hands over the “opioid crisis” which is being seen as a public health crisis while for many decades it has been a crime epidemic. Why aren’t you asking about the meth wars raging in Appalachia?

Also, I have a widely dispersed family and yeah a lot of them are public figures because we do shit.
At the same family reunion in Charleston, SC (2006 - the first held at the Middleton Plantation and the first where the entire family, white and black all came together) where I met the late Depayne Middleton-Doctor, I ran into one of my good friends from ROTC. Three years together in college and we find out we’re cousins 26 years after graduation.

He’s from the Garvin side of the family and his great aunt and cousin authored a family history
called, Lemon Swamp and other places.

https://www.amazon.com/Lemon-Swamp-Other-Places-Carolina/dp/0029105501

This came out more than 30 years ago.

While I agree that things are not great under Trump, the spike in crime and murder and the drug war escalated during native son Obama's watch:
During Obama's tenure in the White House, 3,917 people were murdered in Chicago, police records show.
"It's heartbreaking," President Obama told CNN affiliate WLS about the violence in Chicago. "Obviously, most issues around crime and safety are local. I can't send the Marines into Chicago ... I said in Grant Park when I was declared the winner of the presidency that this wasn't a task for one year, or one term, or even one president."
Since he left Chicago for Washington, several high-profile murders and crime statistics have kept the city in a grim spotlight. And a fractured relationship between police and black teens following the police shooting of Laquan McDonald only added fuel to an existing fire. The teen was shot 16 times. Most of the bullets were fired while his body was lying on the ground. Police reports later revealed officers on the scene lied to cover up the shooting.
"We do feel neglected," Green says. "And we felt like [Obama] could do more and he could have possibly saved some lives."
Green says he understands that age-old ills aren't cured in eight years. But if there was a president who could help, he says, it would be the president who marched the same streets, demanding change.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/obama-hope-farewell-chicago/index.html

Of course, he had to have support from Congress, which we know he didn't get. Still, I think a real knock on Obama is that he never fully used the bully pulpit, and he had it, and his eloquence to go with it. Never happened though.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1068 on: August 20, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-weekend-violence-20180820-story.html

Even with 600 more officers on the street, nearly as many people were shot in Chicago over the weekend as earlier this month when a spike in violence prompted the boost in deployment.

At least 58 people were shot in the city from late Friday afternoon through early Monday and seven of them were killed.

They included two boys, 16 and 17, found shot in death in a Far South Side field days after their mothers reported them missing; three men wounded during what witnesses said was a peace picnic at the Near North Side’s Seward Park; a woman and four men hit by gunfire hours after a Sunday afternoon softball game near a South Side grade school; and seven shot Friday evening in West Englewood, including a 3-year-old boy hit in the shin.

Two weekends ago, at least 74 people were shot. On that Sunday, Aug. 5, more people were shot in a single day since at least September 2011, when the Tribune began tracking every shooting in Chicago. At least 47 were hit by gunfire, 40 of them during a seven-hour period.

The bloodshed brought demands from community leaders for action, and the city responded by sending in more than 600 extra police to neighborhoods hardest hit by the violence.

A clearly frustrated police Superintendent Eddie Johnson acknowledged Monday that his department "can only do so much."

"Crime isn't just about what the police do," he said at a news conference at police headquarters to talk about the weekend violence. "Crime is about what the criminals do.

"Let's not forget the police aren't the ones out there doing it. We can only do so much," Johnson continued. "We cannot be on every street corner . . . every moment of the day. We just can't. That's an impossibility. It's unreasonable. There's no police department in this country that can do that."

Someone was shot in nearly every police district this past weekend, a Tribune analysis shows.

So what is really wrong within these communities?

Larry, you have cousins everywhere, and you like to speak for everyone within each community in the nation, what's your take? Do we blame the NRA? The KKK? The police? Institutional racism? Seriously, who is really accountable for these massacres?

And do try to take the question, seriously, and not deflect, Larry.

The ridiculous drug war ramping up under Jeff Sessions, lax gun laws in the areas surrounding Chicago, endemic and systemic racism in that Chicago PD has little credibility among the citizens the cops are sworn to serve and protect, the profit motive driving the drug trade, (criminalization drives up costs, competition for “corners” lead to conflict, conflict leads to violence) which comes back to the laws of capitalism - supply and demand - no demand, no supply.

Also, let’s face it, crooks gonna crook, just like EVERY ethnic group facing “economic uncertainty” since the founding of the republic.

Everybody is wringing their hands over the “opioid crisis” which is being seen as a public health crisis while for many decades it has been a crime epidemic. Why aren’t you asking about the meth wars raging in Appalachia?

Also, I have a widely dispersed family and yeah a lot of them are public figures because we do shit.
At the same family reunion in Charleston, SC (2006 - the first held at the Middleton Plantation and the first where the entire family, white and black all came together) where I met the late Depayne Middleton-Doctor, I ran into one of my good friends from ROTC. Three years together in college and we find out we’re cousins 26 years after graduation.

He’s from the Garvin side of the family and his great aunt and cousin authored a family history
called, Lemon Swamp and other places.

https://www.amazon.com/Lemon-Swamp-Other-Places-Carolina/dp/0029105501

This came out more than 30 years ago.

While I agree that things are not great under Trump, the spike in crime and murder and the drug war escalated during native son Obama's watch:
During Obama's tenure in the White House, 3,917 people were murdered in Chicago, police records show.
"It's heartbreaking," President Obama told CNN affiliate WLS about the violence in Chicago. "Obviously, most issues around crime and safety are local. I can't send the Marines into Chicago ... I said in Grant Park when I was declared the winner of the presidency that this wasn't a task for one year, or one term, or even one president."
Since he left Chicago for Washington, several high-profile murders and crime statistics have kept the city in a grim spotlight. And a fractured relationship between police and black teens following the police shooting of Laquan McDonald only added fuel to an existing fire. The teen was shot 16 times. Most of the bullets were fired while his body was lying on the ground. Police reports later revealed officers on the scene lied to cover up the shooting.
"We do feel neglected," Green says. "And we felt like [Obama] could do more and he could have possibly saved some lives."
Green says he understands that age-old ills aren't cured in eight years. But if there was a president who could help, he says, it would be the president who marched the same streets, demanding change.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/obama-hope-farewell-chicago/index.html

Of course, he had to have support from Congress, which we know he didn't get. Still, I think a real knock on Obama is that he never fully used the bully pulpit, and he had it, and his eloquence to go with it. Never happened though.

You know of course the “Post Racial America” born in November 2008 died in its crib in July 2009.
Obama speak up on issues affecting black people? How do you think he was labeled “Divider in Chief” for saying Trayvon Martin would look like his son? Remember the “Beer Summit?”

Meanwhile, doing is better than saying:

https://www.insidephilanthropy.com/home/2018/4/17/still-my-brothers-keeper-how-the-obama-foundation-is-carrying-on-a-racial-justice-initiative

”We’ve been following the Obama Foundation’s Chicago funding, which has mostly revolved around the South Side’s Obama Presidential Center. More than a mere tribute to his years at the country’s helm, Obama intends the center as a hub for community development in a troubled part of town. The foundation has been busy directing funds to local workforce development programs, educational initiatives, and youth work—endeavors that fit My Brother’s Keeper to a tee.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 20, 2018, 08:07:20 PM »

Nah

But anyway........

2+ ..... or 6+ more years

Work still to be done, as noted

Not unlike with the DEBT.

If you mean trump will help ISIS expand the way he has exploded the debt, you are probably right. The vast majority of trump’s shambolic attempts at policy result in some form of run away tragedy. Along with incessant lying, it’s his hallmark. Failure is his most distinguishing feature.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 20, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »

The fact that the President of the United States could spend that much time providing that much quote on the situation without once even mentioning White Supremacists (let alone condemning them) is extraordinarily bad.  Its a horror show.  And sorry, the only way you can not see that is if you sympathize with those White Supremacists.

I think the Devil's cleverest trick (aside from the classic one of convincing everyone that he doesn't exist) is rebranding
White Supremacists as the "Alt Right."  Putting "Alt" in front of something makes it sound trendy and cool and a refreshing alternative to the usual ideological menu picks. 

Banks - I'll address this to you, as you the seem like the saner person in the dispute:  any chance you and Nutley could PM each other?  And JOSH:  what are you good for, Global Moderator?  Can't you delete off-topic flame posts?

Josh chose sides many years ago. It's a Boston thing.

Josh chooses sides every single time you (a) try to talk about somebody's off-board identity and (b) get into your bogus shit on pedophilia.

The rest of the time, I feel no more strongly about your BS than anybody else's including my own. You're not the only person to have brought up people's real names and I jumped all over them, too. But you are too caught up in your own persecution complex to be able to understand that.

Banks gave his own county up earlier today. Don't put that shit on me. And you know as well as anyone that he has had NUMEROUS CHANCES to move forward and bury the hatchet. But he can't do that, because he is obsessed with trying to "even the score".

He can't. So, to be truthful, again, as I always am...

I am not feeling persecuted.

All I did this past few days is to bring to the fore what you and many on the left hate---being exposed for doing the same things they accuse others of doing. You and others say you hate how Trump and the GOP demonize and practice the politics of personal destruction---"Crooked Hillary", "Lying Comey", and yet, you and others--and your defenders---- feel you can just label anyone who disagrees with you politically as a Nazi, a white supremacist, a racist, a bigot, and one who is being fitted for a brown shirt.

Do you actually think I CARE what anyone "here" thinks of me personally? Then you really don't know me very well.

Do you actually think that ANYONE "here" is who they really truly are "off-board"?

You CANNOT be serious! You CANNOT be that naive.

People here call me on my shit---many times rightfully so---and it doesn't bother me. When I do the same, they take deep offense.

Do a search on the phrase "Go fuck yourself", and see whose name comes up the most.

Then ask yourself if you are doing a good job monitoring the discussion.

Do the same with "Nazi" or "brown shirt".

I'd say most here need to develop a thicker skin---or play a different game.

And you, sir, should either take you title seriously,  so that others do, or admit that you are a MINO---Moderator in Name Only.

a) You are not even remotely always truthful. (Not that you are unique in that regard.)
b) You have posted his real name and threatened to post mine, posting a picture of me. No excuse.
c) Burying a hatchet is a thing that can be done unilaterally. Indeed, you have committed to do so on more than one occasion. That you blame others for your actions is typical, not only of you but of many people. But the whole "you made me do it" cant is bullshit. YOU control your own actions, not me and not Bankshot. Oddly enough, this part of the exchange is something you and I have had before.
d) Largely, I am moderator in name only. I have the ability to delete posts or edit them. I have the ability to move or create topics. Maybe lock them - haven't tested it. There are a couple other "powers" that I have, but in terms of moderation they don't amount to a hill of beans.
Howevere (e) My being Moderator in Name Only has nothing to do with your BS - your posts are out of line far more than anybody else's, no matter how many times other people tell you to fuck off or eat shit. You have earned any warning you have received (not from me, but from our owner/admin). You are more uncivil more often than anybody else here - and that takes work.
f) My job as moderator is not to keep my opinions to myself, even though both you (currently) and Red (always) seem to think that's the job.

And as ever, Utley, if you don't approve of the job I am doing, you are welcome to complain to the Admin about it. I am sure Liq will be terribly sympathetic to your plight, poor baby.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:10 PM »

You keep writing about Chicago as if it were in the top 20 in homicide rates among large cities in the U.S.

In 2017, they were 25th. Lower if you look at all cities.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »

“ if you don't approve of the job I am doing, you are welcome to complain to the Admin about it.

Josh has a job on here?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 20, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: August 20, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »

“ if you don't approve of the job I am doing, you are welcome to complain to the Admin about it.

Josh has a job on here?

Keep up with the conversation Red.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: August 20, 2018, 09:52:03 PM »

Josh has a job on here?

I did.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 20, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »

Josh has a job on here?

I did.

Of course. That's why you asked the question.

Uh huh.

tff

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 20, 2018, 10:11:52 PM »

Josh has a job on here?

I did.

Uh huh.

tff
Troll is your job?
Time to morph into Evvie again.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 20, 2018, 10:19:41 PM »

Josh has a job on here?

I did.

Uh huh.

tff
Troll is your job?
Time to morph into Evvie again.
Good one, DickVitale/jimmengle/espnthree!
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 20, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »

heh
kettle/black

now playing
ESPN-Colts-Ravens exhibition
ESPN2  Texas v Georgia LL elim game
ESPN3- same old game
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 4288