Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1883332 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12180 on: April 03, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »

I notice the various media style books must allow the description of a noted gay person as “ John Doe who is “openly gay”.   Openly?  How else can you be correctly identified beyond just “ gay, lesbian, etc”. ? 
Would any serious newssouce refer to someone as a “ closeted gay” ?
Of course not.
So what’s the point of adding “openly”?
The voters in Chicago elected their  first Gay and Black Woman as Mayor.
 No one needed to point out she was “ openly “ black and female” So why add it to gay since her sexuality was well known to Chicagoans for years.

This is a good question!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: April 03, 2019, 05:57:46 PM »

I notice the various media style books must allow the description of a noted gay person as “ John Doe who is “openly gay”.   Openly?  How else can you be correctly identified beyond just “ gay, lesbian, etc”. ? 
Of course not.
 No one needed to point out she was “ openly “ black and female” So why add it to gay since her sexuality was well known to Chicagoans for years.

This is a good question!

To answer it...I think it may be that those news sources can not say that a previous mayor was not gay, as you would not know that if they were not open.  And there may be some in other instances that came out later.  So noting that they are "openly gay" now avoids the presumption that every other previous one was straight.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #12182 on: April 03, 2019, 06:00:11 PM »

Passing along a comment, written by an Australian whose insights I value.  (he is speaking to someone who believes that politicians mainly serve the public)

I, on the other hand, call politics the biggest crime story on the planet...just follow the money and everthing makes sense. I see government as a tool of wealth that rules over the people on behalf of wealth. Cynical, I hear you say? I appreciate how it sounds that way, but the proof is in the pudding...regardless of what political party is in power, just look at how many laws are passed for and on behalf of wealth, then look at the paltry crumbs that are dished out to the general public, if any, often watered-down or later repealed by another government. Government DOES NOT serve the people. They all say they do, but I've yet to see one. They serve wealth, for that's who finances their campaigns, or thrust to power, whether it be a legal process or the overturning or usurping of a regime, or a coup. And wealth expects favors in return for that financial support....

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: April 03, 2019, 06:07:15 PM »

Passing along a comment, written by an Australian whose insights I value.  (he is speaking to someone who believes that politicians mainly serve the public)

I, on the other hand, call politics the biggest crime story on the planet...just follow the money and everthing makes sense. I see government as a tool of wealth that rules over the people on behalf of wealth. Cynical, I hear you say? I appreciate how it sounds that way, but the proof is in the pudding...regardless of what political party is in power, just look at how many laws are passed for and on behalf of wealth, then look at the paltry crumbs that are dished out to the general public, if any, often watered-down or later repealed by another government. Government DOES NOT serve the people. They all say they do, but I've yet to see one. They serve wealth, for that's who finances their campaigns, or thrust to power, whether it be a legal process or the overturning or usurping of a regime, or a coup. And wealth expects favors in return for that financial support....

Whoever this is didn't look very hard.  Lots of countries have largly publicly financed campaigning, strict spending limits, or government/campaign styles that make lavish spending on a single candidate useless.

Not to say that these other countries are perfect, but what is clearly a problem in the United States is not a problem (to the same degree) in other places.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: April 03, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/04/mar-a-lago-intruder-spy-trump-security-lax.html

He’s taking the Reagan route to answering the question of witting or unwitting participant, becoming quickly witless. It worked for Ron-bo, but it’s not very orange-inal.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: April 03, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »

Of course not.

This is a good question!

To answer it...I think it may be that those news sources can not say that a previous mayor was not gay, as you would not know that if they were not open.  And there may be some in other instances that came out later.  So noting that they are "openly gay" now avoids the presumption that every other previous one was straight.
I don’t think a gay politician would want to hide his or her sexuality. There is no downside to being honest about yourself. Nothing can be hidden anymore.

oilcan

« Reply #12186 on: April 03, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »

Saying "openly gay" indicates the first who was open about it.  In prior years, such openness was not so welcome.  And there are still aspects of private life people would prefer to leave private.  A candidate who enjoys sadomasochistic sex might opt to leave that out of their bio. 

Here is another first, which will grate on KidC, I guess....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/31/slovakia-elects-zuzana-caputova-first-female-president

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: April 03, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »

Saying "openly gay" indicates the first who was open about it.
So is living as who you are. Which the new Mayor of  Chicago obviously has since She and her partner have an 11 year old daughter. And they have been  Legally married for five years.
The voters there understood that a long time ago. If we still “ have a ways to go” maybe it is the media who needs to catch up with the rest of us.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:25:43 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »

Another one who thought Trump's temperament disqualified him from being President of the United States...until he won the nomination.  Then she was all-in:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/02/politics/morgan-ortagus-state-department-spokesperson-trump-criticism/index.html

well.........yeah

Hilary was THAT bad an option

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: April 03, 2019, 07:41:43 PM »

So Trump now calls Congressional demands to see the full Mueller Report a "disgrace":

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1113154952514465794

But... Since before (and immediately after) the Barr Letter Trump said that everyone should see the full Mueller Report. 

And all but four Republicans in the House voted for a full public release of the Report before the Barr Letter came out, all of whom oppose those efforts now.

Now they don't even want Congress to have it.  This is very odd!  Since we are to understand that the report is a full and complete exoneration of Trump, and humiliating to Democrats, supportive of kicking Schiff out of his position, and eggs the face of hated media outlets like the New York Times and the Washington Post, why are they doing all they can to make sure it never comes out!

That makes sense to anyone here?
Perfect sense.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: April 03, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »

The last two post are perfect examples of why you should not let your children eat lead paint or watch Fox News.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: April 03, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/04/mar-a-lago-intruder-spy-trump-security-lax.html

And, from our old grey lady friend

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/politics/mueller-findings-barr.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But...

Obama wore a tan suit!

And he put his feet up on the desk.

And he made a marine hold an umbrella for him.

And don't forget that he played with a selfie stick!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: April 03, 2019, 08:34:53 PM »

In science news, President Trump broke the discovery that the noise from wind turbines causes cancer.

And it wasn't April 1st!

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/03/donald-trump-wind-turbines-chuck-grassley-iowa-idiotic/3356122002/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: April 03, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »

And, from our old grey lady friend

http://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/us/politics/mueller-findings-barr.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But...

Obama wore a tan suit!

And he put his feet up on the desk.

And he made a marine hold an umbrella for him.

And don't forget that he played with a selfie stick!

Clearly O was much more maligned than Trump

heh
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 4288