Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875720 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1410 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »

Your Republican Party at its finest:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/08/25/kelli-ward-john-mccain-statement-timed-hurt-campaign/1102304002/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomwashington-topstories

Ward wrote on Facebook that "I think they wanted to have a particular narrative that they hope is negative to me."

Her comment was made under a Facebook post by one of her campaign staffers, who questioned if it was "just a coincidence" that the McCain family released the statement the same day that Ward was kicking off her campaign bus tour, "or if it was a plan to take media attention off her campaign?"

And then he had the unmitigated gall to die a few hours later.

I can't decide whether I more hope that she loses the primary, getting blown out for her self-absorption or hope that she wins to increase the chance of the seat's flipping. Really the latter, despite her outrageous comment - as Senator McCain would have had it on his good days, putting the needs of the country over personal sentiments.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1411 on: August 26, 2018, 01:17:31 PM »

Schumer proposing changing name of the Russell Senate Office Building in honor of Senator John McCain... I’m with that!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: August 26, 2018, 01:21:45 PM »

An easy call. Richard Russell was the prime-reason an anti-lynching bill was defeated in the Senate in 1936. The time has come, if it didn't come years ago, to scrub his name from the building.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: August 26, 2018, 01:27:01 PM »

Really?
Didn't McCain spend 8 years blocking everything Obama tried to do.
And you want to honor him?
Can you imagine the GOP honoring Ted Kennedy in such a fashion?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 26, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »

McCain's opposition was politics.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1415 on: August 26, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »

Really?

Well, he was a Republican...

I remember what he said in 2000 after losing South Carolina primary (Bush campaign pushed rumor his adopted daughter was really African American love child) where he supported rebel flag over statehouse.

“I did it for the votes...”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1416 on: August 26, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: August 26, 2018, 01:53:26 PM »

I think his biggest sin was foisting Sarah Palin on all of us.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:20 PM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-officials-surprised-americans-cared-about-family-separations-zero-tolerance-2018-8

It's not like they cared about the kids or the separations. Hundreds are still separated because of the Trump administration's deliberate mistreatment of the families.

But they assumed that most people think the way they do.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: August 26, 2018, 03:17:15 PM »

Really?

To answer the Kennedy question, nope the GOP leadership is too tainted today with toxic partisanship and cowed by an indecent autocrat.

A better comp though would be John Kerry, who was also a decorated Viet Nam veteran and a war hero. Sadly politics of the day demanded Kerry's service be denigrated, and lied about, by many who never went to war for this country.

But more to the real point, I can't fault McCain for acting in line with his political beliefs, he was after-all a conservative republican, elected to advance a broad conservative republican agenda and stop the liberal Dems. However there are several documented ocassions he put policy above partisanship, in particular McCain worked with Kennedy on immigration reform, Feingold on campaign finance reforms and more recently voted against the repeal of O-care.

He had principles and over time I grew to respect and admire him.

YMMV.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: August 26, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »

The law of unintended consequences, Palin sank the ticket and led to 8 years of Obama.

One wonders if he had stuck with his initial choice of Lieberman and not gone with the Palin whether that would have made a difference and attracted sufficent D and Indies while not pissing off the R-consevatives to make them stay home, to swing the '08 election.

I think the Rs have been on the crazy train since Gingrich in the Clinton years and gotten increasingly nutty since then.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: August 26, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »

Defending the moderate rebels in Libya and Syria. On the plus side he did break away from the trickle downers and helped save affordable health.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: August 26, 2018, 03:54:20 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: August 26, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »

One wonders if he had stuck with his initial choice of Lieberman and not gone with the Palin whether that would have made a difference .....

Not many of right mind wonder this.

Certainly no Democrats.  They all figure O would have beaten any duo.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: August 26, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »

I don't.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 4288