Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584936 times)

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #14940 on: June 10, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »

Impeach Kavanaugh:

Three days after President Trump nominated Brett Kavanaugh as his pick for the Supreme Court, the Wall Street Journal published an op-ed by Amy Chua, a Yale Law professor better known as the author of the 2011 parenting memoir “Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother,” who praised Kavanaugh as a mentor to young women.

Chua, a member of the school’s clerkships committee, had placed eight women with Kavanaugh, including her daughter Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld, who had been accepted to serve with Kavanaugh, then a circuit court judge.

Some critics called the op-ed self-serving, arguing that Chua was simply setting her daughter up for a Supreme Court clerkship once Kavanaugh was confirmed.

In her op-ed, Chua preemptively denied the claim, saying her daughter would “probably” look for a different clerkship if Kavanaugh landed on the nation’s highest court. (In a tweet, Sophia, who graduated from Yale Law in 2018, said she was planning to join the Army and would not be “applying to SCOTUS anytime soon.“)

On Monday, the Supreme Court announced that Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld had been hired by Kavanaugh for a clerkship beginning in October.

Neither Chua nor her daughter responded to requests from Yahoo News for comment.

Kavanaugh was confirmed to the Supreme Court in October following a bitterly divisive nomination fight that included allegations of misbehavior from multiple women, which he denied. During his confirmation hearing, Christine Blasey Ford testified that Kavanaugh had attempted to rape her at a party when they were teenagers.

While the Senate weighed those allegations, the Guardian first reported that Chua and her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, advised female students that it was “not an accident” that Kavanaugh’s female law clerks all “looked like models” and to project a “model-like” femininity if they wanted to clerk for him.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kavanaugh-defender-amy-chuas-daughter-gets-supreme-court-job-with-kavanaugh-183610399.html

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14941 on: June 10, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »

So Congress democratically( with large majorities) passed legislation permitting “ in God we trust
on US currency. President Eisenhower the supreme leader of our wwIi effort signed the Bill  completing the Constitutional requirements of a Law.

None of which is at all relevant to the question of Constitutionality.

Which as has been said really isn't much of a question after a surface reading of the First Amendment.

But REDSTATEWARD promotes literal readings of the Constitution only when it suits him.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14942 on: June 10, 2019, 05:55:42 PM »

I made it earlier.  So have several others. I'm sorry you missed it. 
LOL
So Congress democratically( with large majorities) passed legislation permitting “ in God we trust
on US currency. President Eisenhower the supreme leader of our wwIi effort signed the Bill  completing the Constitutional requirements of a Law. That law has withstood legal challenges that
have not been controversial. 90 per cent of Americans,when asked, have no problem with the words. 80 per cent of Americans profess some sort of religious belief. Yet our country has no state sponsored religion. Many Americans,  most of all atheists, from time to time have protested that
“ in God we trust” promotes the establishment of a religion but cannot convince the Courts or their fellow citizens.  And so it goes.

I've finally realized that our self-anointed Constitutional scholar is kind of dumb.  I'm sorry it took me so long.  I might have to dumb down my responses to him or, better yet, just ignore his blathering.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14943 on: June 10, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »

The U.S. Supreme Court turned away challenges to a federal law that requires registration of gun silencers, the accessory that has drawn new scrutiny after it was used in a mass shooting in Virginia.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-10/supreme-court-rejects-challenge-to-gun-silencer-registration-law
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14944 on: June 10, 2019, 05:57:34 PM »

LOL
on US currency. President Eisenhower the supreme leader of our wwIi effort signed the Bill  completing the Constitutional requirements of a Law. That law has withstood legal challenges that
have not been controversial. 90 per cent of Americans,when asked, have no problem with the words. 80 per cent of Americans profess some sort of religious belief. Yet our country has no state sponsored religion. Many Americans,  most of all atheists, from time to time have protested that
“ in God we trust” promotes the establishment of a religion but cannot convince the Courts or their fellow citizens.  And so it goes.

Yes, so it goes.

At another point in time, the majority believed in slavery. They believed in anti-miscegenation laws. They believed women should not vote and that Negroes were less than human. They believe Indians should not be allowed to vote. They believed that a white woman who married an Asian should lose her citizenship. The Court hid on whether it was okay to lock up the Japanese-Americans.

The SCOTUS currently believes if you do not tell police that you are invoking your right to remain silent, you lose it.

What's YOUR point? That a country can espouse whatever beliefs it wants, but we should not expect them to honor it?

We knew that, already. Your type of hypocrisy is most common among a substantial percentage of our people.

Congratulations. You lose.

But, as I also said, in a country where Donald Trump is President one of the last things I concern myself with is the language on a coin.   
How does Trump enter this discussion or is he the center of your universe?
[/quote]

He doesn't. That's the point you have once again managed to totally overlook.

It'd be amazing were it not so commonplace.

Trump's evil deeds make little hypocrisies like "In God We Trust" on our coins seem like a quaint item to be ignored as a distraction from important issues to him. Mostly to me, too, except for its illustrating how corrupt our people are, even when they have no investment in the conclusion.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14945 on: June 10, 2019, 05:59:39 PM »

He doesn't. That's the point you have once again managed to totally overlook.

It'd be amazing were it not so commonplace.

Trump's evil deeds make little hypocrisies like "In God We Trust" on our coins seem like a quaint item to be ignored as a distraction from important issues to him. Mostly to me, too, except for its illustrating how corrupt our people are, even when they have no investment in the conclusion

I'm sorry you have to actually take time to explain things to Red.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14946 on: June 10, 2019, 06:00:05 PM »

LOL

I've finally realized that our self-anointed Constitutional scholar is kind of dumb.  I'm sorry it took me so long.  I might have to dumb down my responses to him or, better yet, just ignore his blathering.

Saying his arguments here are "dumb" assumes some level (even if tiny) of actual thinking, when there is none.  REDSTATEWARD has always seen questions of Constitutionality only as an extension of his political preferences. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14947 on: June 10, 2019, 06:01:19 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14948 on: June 10, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »

on US currency. President Eisenhower the supreme leader of our wwIi effort signed the Bill  completing the Constitutional requirements of a Law.

None of which is at all relevant to the question of Constitutionality.
Really.? Legislation can be passed that lacks one or more of those elements.?

Which as has been said really isn't much of a question after a surface reading of the First Amendment.

But REDSTATEWARD promotes literal readings of the Constitution only when it suits him.
LOL

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14949 on: June 10, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »

Legislation can be passed that is unconstitutional.  Odd that our resident Constitution and SCOTUS expert doesn't know something so basic.

I guess yankguy is right.  Just dumb.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #14950 on: June 10, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »

Work for $1 a day, or solitary? Remind you of your own upbringing much, Luee? What’s the rolling body count?

OK read the article, the private detention centers are there to lessen the abuses as handled by ICE which was simply
overwhelmed by the numbers and are not trained to run jails. No I am not an illegal alien or a jailer. But a very significant amount of the population don't buy open borders or chain migration by force of numbers.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #14951 on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14952 on: June 10, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »

Perhaps you should read earlier posts (and learn to format, while you're at it) you mo-ron.
Oh. I Apologize for the formatting but I don’t find anything amiss.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:24:42 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14953 on: June 10, 2019, 06:19:17 PM »

No need to capitalize "apologize" there. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14954 on: June 10, 2019, 06:40:51 PM »

Legislation can be passed that is unconstitutional. 
Which is not what I wrote.
No law can be passed unconstitutionally. 
A Constitutionally passed law can be found unconstitutional in an appeal to the Courts. But only if it was passed Constitutionally. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:49:18 PM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 995 996 [997] 998 999 ... 4288