Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607327 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15795 on: June 26, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »

Great.

So the illiberal Left and the Radical Right agree.

Dead babies can be exploited in order to advance the politics of their respective sides.

I’m guessing here that the terms “exploited” and “politics” are intended to belittle the “leftists” and point out some imagined hypocrisy, but political movements born of crisis are well ingrained in American history.  Thinking particularly of the labor and environmental reforms that came during the industrial revolution, for example.  Or New Deal programs following the Great Depression, which are often thought of in macro-economic terms but were at their first level attempts to relieve massive levels of human suffering.

If nuclear power plants were releasing radioactive water into the drinking supply and people were dying as a result and only one party was willing to get them to stop, I suppose you would say that one party was “exploiting the deaths of people due to radiation poisoning in order to advance their politics” but another way to say it is “one party is seeking to stop the avoidable deaths of innocent people through industrial regulation.”

I would say in this case that you have it doubly backwards because in fact the Trump Administration’s hyper-cruel treatment of legal asylum seekers is all about politics.  Trump canceled a pilot program started by the Obama Administration that was working ( https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/immigration-border-crisis/obama-era-pilot-program-kept-asylum-seeking-migrant-families-together-n885896 ) because it was Obama’s, and his base responds to theatrical cruelty at the border (see also; Wall) over policy that actually works to solve the problem. 

You could say the same in healthcare, where one party is literally creating life/death situations in rural areas just because using the ACA to expand Medicaid coverage is politically unpopular on the Right after they spent so much political capital on trashing it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/24/opinion/republican-states-health-care.html

“Political” is not the same as “partisan.”  Nor should it be so given a dirty word as you try to make it.  There are some politicians who are actually trying to get elected in order to make people’s lives better.  Hope the age of Trump has not made us so cynical as to make that statement hard to believe.
q

You guessed wrong. Then you wrote a lot of horseshit.

Both extreme partisans are using pictures of dead babies to advance their cause. That's disgusting on many levels. Guess you don't see it that way.
You mean like the way you are using dead babies to advance your agenda here? That is disgusting on many levels. Guess you don't see it that way.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15796 on: June 26, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »

Heh

They think she will win?

Who is they? The market is hedging which doesn’t exude a great deal of confidence in these organizations.

I would say the drop was coincidental.

If you say that, you would be wrong... but hey! Par for the course, eh what?

”The move followed a review by the bank’s environmental, social and governance, or ESG, committee, which included site visits and consultation with clients, civil rights leaders, criminal justice experts and academics. The Charlotte, North Carolina-based lender also met with its internal Hispanic and black leaders.

The company will stop its activities in the industry as soon as it can, while meeting contractual obligations, said Finucane, who leads Bank of America’s ESG efforts.

Shares of two of the largest private-prison companies, GEO Group Inc. and CoreCivic Inc., fell as much as 4.3% and 4.4%, respectively, Wednesday. They both dropped at least 17% last year.

Steve Owen, a CoreCivic spokesman, said Bank of America misrepresented the company and based its decision on politics.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-26/bank-of-america-will-stop-lending-to-private-prison-companies
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #15797 on: June 26, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »

Anytime someone starts talking about "extreme partisans" on both sides, there is a strong chance it's virtue signaling.   

Q. How many babies does it take to paint a house?

A. Depends how hard you throw them.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: June 26, 2019, 08:53:01 PM »

They were at the facility, waiting, since Sunday.  Not turned away.

They were in Mexico. It as 113 degrees.

THIS IS ON THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.

These are consequences of a conscious decision to institute policy designed to be painful.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/07/609225537/sessions-says-zero-tolerance-for-illegal-border-crossers-vows-to-divide-families

Stop rationalizing evil...

Stop forgiving a dad got his kid killed.

They would be alive if they arrived at the border three years ago.

less crowded, eh?

You  really didn't read, did you?

No intentional slowdown of the asylum processing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15799 on: June 26, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »

Guess the Boston illiberal Left wants the kids to sleep on the floor?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/boston-wayfair-workers-threaten-walkout-144915582.html

Guess you support Ford's having sold tanks to the Germans before the US entered the war.

And you  say I am a Nazi.

Only one of us is seeking excuses fo the government's actions and the support they are getting from corporate America.

How is your use of the dead babies any less for political gain and scoring points than the people you've attacked?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15800 on: June 26, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »

Meanwhile, in Florida:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/politics/democratic-presidential-debates-florida-climate-change/index.html

I can hear Trump's campaigning, now: "The Democrats forced me to deny climate change!"

And as we post about the tragedy there, Piggy will be claiming we are using their deaths to advance our extremist platfom.

To paraphrase, extremism in the defense of millions of lives is no vice!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15801 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:03 PM »

Kiiid says "Nobody cares..."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/26/politics/donald-trump-megan-rapinoe-white-house/index.html

As I noted earlier, Trump cares. A lot.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: June 26, 2019, 09:38:44 PM »

For Ward and Kiiid:
https://www.facebook.com/wxclimonews/photos/a.240445286695149/486644072075268/?type=3&theater

This is just America (historic flooding)...don't forget about the Canadian Prairies (extreme drought), Central and Western Europe (drought and flood), East Africa (drought with flooding in Mozambique from two historic amd catastrophic tropical cyclones), Australia (drought...except for that titanic Queensland flood in February), China (historic drought in the north, historic floods to the South), India (blazing heat and drought), Central and South America (drought or flood, depending on the country). I'm sure I'm missing spots. All those areas are facing or have faced crop devastation in just the past 6-12 months

Just keep going along with the Trump administration. Bambi-ignorance's favorite talk show host on radio will support you, I am sure.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:40:35 PM by josh »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15803 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:51 PM »

So...

who won?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15804 on: June 26, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: June 26, 2019, 10:54:25 PM »

Both extreme partisans are using pictures of dead babies to advance their cause. That's disgusting on many levels. Guess you don't see it that way.

Looks like I guessed right (hint, I wasn't really guessing) and then you promptly ignored or did not understand the points that followed.

Shorter version; pointing to dead babies to advance your cause isn't disgusting (on any level) if your cause is ending policies that lead to dead babies.

Maybe what you want to argue is that family separations, metering and otherwise making border conditions appreciably crueler (such as arguing that you do not need to provide beds or soap or toothpaste) as a mater of policy does not actually lead to higher risk of death for migrants.  Then make that argument. 

Otherwise, your post is virtue signaling without merit or substance.

If only you were msn enough to admit you fucked up.

You fucked up.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: June 26, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »

So...

who won?

I had it Warren then Booker.

IMO Warren opened strong, created a good impression, and then coasted.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: June 26, 2019, 11:06:12 PM »

So...

who won?

Tim Ryan is toast.

He was toast going in.

Did he drop below Tulsi?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15808 on: June 26, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »

Looks like I guessed right (hint, I wasn't really guessing) and then you promptly ignored or did not understand the points that followed.

Shorter version; pointing to dead babies to advance your cause isn't disgusting (on any level) if your cause is ending policies that lead to dead babies.

Maybe what you want to argue is that family separations, metering and otherwise making border conditions appreciably crueler (such as arguing that you do not need to provide beds or soap or toothpaste) as a mater of policy does not actually lead to higher risk of death for migrants.  Then make that argument. 

Otherwise, your post is virtue signaling without merit or substance.

If only you were msn enough to admit you fucked up.

You fucked up.

You are the 2nd-to-last person (after Ward) who should be lecturing others here on admitting fucking up.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15809 on: June 26, 2019, 11:14:40 PM »

So...

who won?

Tim Ryan is toast.

He was toast going in.

Did he drop below Tulsi?

She gave him a pretty good smack down.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 4288