Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874104 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16215 on: July 04, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »

Regarding:

Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics
[/b]
Jackson versus Giles was dealt with by the USCongress and the Voting Rights Act.
Partisan Gerrymandering, if a problem, can be changed by Congress, State Legislatures, or the residents of the states through such vehicles as initiative petition.

Mighty selective editing, eh Red?

To paraphrase Paul Harvey, “And now, the rest of the story!”

Oliver Wendell Holmes, recently appointed to the Court by Theodore Roosevelt, wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority. Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics. “Relief from a great political wrong” could only come from the “people of a state” through their elected officials, or from Congress. Holmes ignored the fact that the definition of the “people” of Alabama was precisely the point at issue.[/b] Holmes would go on to a distinguished judicial career. Giles v. Harris, one scholar has written, “is—or should be—the most prominent stain” on his reputation. Chief Justice Roberts, take note.

https://www.thenation.com/article/eric-foner-supreme-court-john-roberts/
Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

Must be why it's a stain on Holmes' career, huh?

It’s not.

Then why quote an Eric Foner that explicitly states Holmes fucked up the decision?

You’re full of shit, Red. Cherry picking an opinion to use it in opposition to said opinion is just ham fisted Orwellian bullshit.

Have a beer and jerk off with your Fuhrer ...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16216 on: July 04, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »

But... there is a special viewing section, closer to the events than the public can be, for officials and military personnel, and...

The military personnel need be Republican?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16217 on: July 04, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends....

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

Paying attention isn’t the same as”hearing.” You’ve heard it all before, in fact for fifty years but you have to wait and see if what YOU see counts more than what we’ve been dealing with forever.

Just a different perspective on how our nationals symbols get co opted and by the time the debate is over so is any defense of the symbol.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-shifting-symbolism-of-the-gadsden-flag

Your long strife leads to your bias - which is what Barton - in a well thought out post, is getting at.

You might do better explaining how you feel the "Ross flag" signifies anti-black sentiment.  We are all listening.

Fuck you. Did you hear that?

I said what I said about the flag and explained why I said it.

Y’all don’t wanna hear it fine,

You’re happy with the direction the nation is headed as are apparently most white voters.

”Your long strife leads to your bias - which is what Barton - in a well thought out post, is getting at.”

First bit of logic out of you today, even if you did pull it your ass by accident.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 03:00:27 PM by LarryBnDC »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16218 on: July 04, 2019, 03:02:22 PM »

But... there is a special viewing section, closer to the events than the public can be, for officials and military personnel, and...

The military personnel need be Republican?

Yeah, way to skip the relevant part.

You have lost all credibility, Kiiid, almost to the extent that Ward has. You saw the section below that.

GOP donors and RNC members.

Had he only put government officials and their families there with the families, then (until I heard the campaign speech) I would have granted it was non-partisan.

But by stocking the special viewing area with cronies and donors, he turned it into a publicly paid for campaign event.

And you know it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16219 on: July 04, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »

America
by Claude McKay, 1889 - 1948

Although she feeds me bread of bitterness,
And sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth,
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth!
Her vigor flows like tides into my blood,
Giving me strength erect against her hate.
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood.
Yet as a rebel fronts a king in state,
I stand within her walls with not a shred
Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer.
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead,
And see her might and granite wonders there,
Beneath the touch of Time’s unerring hand,
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16221 on: July 04, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »

So when Obama invited members of the military and White House staff and their families on the 4th, were Republicans in Congress also invited with their loved ones?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #16222 on: July 04, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »

Regarding:

Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics
[/b]
Jackson versus Giles was dealt with by the USCongress and the Voting Rights Act.
Partisan Gerrymandering, if a problem, can be changed by Congress, State Legislatures, or the residents of the states through such vehicles as initiative petition.

Mighty selective editing, eh Red?

To paraphrase Paul Harvey, “And now, the rest of the story!”

Oliver Wendell Holmes, recently appointed to the Court by Theodore Roosevelt, wrote the opinion for a 6-3 majority. Like Chief Justice Roberts today, Holmes threw up his hands and described the Supreme Court as impotent. If “the great mass of the white population intends to keep the blacks from voting,” he wrote, there was nothing the justices could do. The courts could not get involved in politics. “Relief from a great political wrong” could only come from the “people of a state” through their elected officials, or from Congress. Holmes ignored the fact that the definition of the “people” of Alabama was precisely the point at issue.[/b] Holmes would go on to a distinguished judicial career. Giles v. Harris, one scholar has written, “is—or should be—the most prominent stain” on his reputation. Chief Justice Roberts, take note.

https://www.thenation.com/article/eric-foner-supreme-court-john-roberts/
Holmes was correct.
So is Roberts.

Must be why it's a stain on Holmes' career, huh?

It’s not.

Then why quote an Eric Foner that explicitly states Holmes fucked up the decision?
The vote was 6-3.
You’re full of shit, Red. Cherry picking an opinion to use it in opposition to said opinion is just ham fisted Orwellian bullshit.
I didn’t pick the case.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:10:32 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16223 on: July 04, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »

My Shinbone Star buddy Don Lessem’s Trump puppet is on the Mall today!

https://wjla.com/news/local/trump-golden-toilet

Baby balloon 2 feet off the ground

Heh

- What could possibly happen to it?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16224 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

So when Obama invited members of the military and White House staff and their families on the 4th, were Republicans in Congress also invited with their loved ones?

(a) He did not have a public parade. You seem to have forgotten.

(b) If Trump were doing this in the White House, instead of spending enough money to keep the kids in the concentration camps supplied with food, blankets, soap, and toothpaste for centuries to come.

(c) I noted that again you are ignoring what was written.

Not "Republicans in Congress," but RNC member and DONORS.

But since you (disingenuously) asked:
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/fourth-of-july

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/blog/2015/07/04/past-and-present-celebrating-july-4th-white-house

As far as I can tell, Obama invited Congressmen of no stripe to the WH for the 4th. Got evidence that says otherwise, bring it on, Kiiid.

Otherwise, stfu and admit you are wrong and this was a partisan event.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16225 on: July 04, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »

https://bit.ly/2z4g12P?fbclid=IwAR2U7TrllVeIPb6iXi942YNsXkrCsZ2bdNRTPv1qfvSZ_JZ7wmVzVafHFG4

How Frederick Douglas challenged the hypocrisy of Independence Day

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16226 on: July 04, 2019, 03:57:38 PM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends....

I've been paying attention to black people saying "whoa" for roughly a half century.   You understand I am asking questions here, and haven't made up my mind where the Ross stands in relation to the other flags you mentioned. 

Still trying to plumb the gray areas.   It's like finding a reasonable point between taking down RE Lee statues (yes) and Jeff Memorial (please, no).  If, when, it's clear that a Ross flag is more about slavery and supremacy than about freedom and unity, then I will be at your door with a can of lighter fluid and whatever libation you favor. 

My slowness to decide things is a feature, not a bug.  At least that's what some folks tell me.

Larry only wants HIS views tolerated, not yours.
"Achtung Larry" doesn't practice what he preaches. It would impact his victim status.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16227 on: July 04, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »

The Nazi swastika was different than the ancient, historical swastika.

The Jewish star is a symbol of oppression to Palestinians.

See how this works?

Unless you stop oppressing people it’s impossible to parade your symbols around without causing good people to throw up a little bit in their mouths.

Modern border enslavement (CBP) and uniformed terrorism in American neighborhoods (ICE raids) are a trump-stain (Chicken grease, hairspray, ejaculate) on the national fabric.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16228 on: July 04, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »

Yep. And for the most part they usually snubbed his invitations.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16229 on: July 04, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »

My Shinbone Star buddy Don Lessem’s Trump puppet is on the Mall today!

https://wjla.com/news/local/trump-golden-toilet

Baby balloon 2 feet off the ground

Heh

- What could possibly happen to it?

Nothing can FLY over the mall, you cretin. Airspace restrictions. By the way the ballon is off the mall because of lightning in the area.

The Golden Toilet is still there.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1080 1081 [1082] 1083 1084 ... 4288