Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605050 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #18810 on: August 19, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »

I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to be afraid of yet another group. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18811 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:01 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.

I would suggest that there is a fair degree of shared responsibility as to the failure to find a realistic solution. In the interim I'll wait until Israel returns ALL  land gained in wars, and yields to all Palestinian demands, and acts justly and humanely enough to satiate their most rabid critics.
Of course to the first part. Don't exaggerate to the second; "you can't satisfy some people" is an too often an excuse for inaction. There are people on your side of the issue for whom nothing short of the extreme will be enough as well.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18812 on: August 19, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

WASHINGTON—Planned Parenthood Federation of America said on Monday it would withdraw from the federal Title X family-planning program rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule preventing clinics from referring patients for abortions.
Leaving 40% of.Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just women who cares?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #18813 on: August 19, 2019, 05:01:15 PM »

I watched a show in the middle of the night on Public Television about the last Empress of Iran, Farah Pahlavi, and she seems like a good person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farah_Pahlavi

Maybe her family can help Iran to evolve in more healthy ways, if they still have any influence.

Salute,

Tony V.
Uh... you probably have more influence in Iran than the Shah's family.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #18814 on: August 19, 2019, 05:01:25 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/opinions/portland-protest-antifa-proud-boys-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

Heed the warning (on AntiFa) or don't.

And definitely don't heed any of the warnings on the Proud Boys that make up the bulk of the attached article.

Given the history, which group would better to have its members "Red Flagged?"  Could the impossibility of writing the legislation that doesn't be the reason that it will be dead on arrival should Republicans ever let it reach Trump?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18815 on: August 19, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

WASHINGTON—Planned Parenthood Federation of America said on Monday it would withdraw from the federal Title X family-planning program rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule preventing clinics from referring patients for abortions.
Leaving 40% of.Americans benefiting from Title X funding without access to their preferred provider, and many with no access to any provider at all. Got a replacement plan for them? Or, you know, it's just women who cares?

Red thinks they will still be able to provide his Syphilis treatment.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18816 on: August 19, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/opinions/portland-protest-antifa-proud-boys-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

Heed the warning (on AntiFa) or don't.

And definitely don't heed any of the warnings on the Proud Boys that make up the bulk of the attached article.

Given the history, which group would better to have its members "Red Flagged?"  Could the impossibility of writing the legislation that doesn't be the reason that it will be dead on arrival should Republicans ever let it reach Trump?

The patriotic thing to do is to support Antifa until there are no teeth left in the Zika baby pin head of any American fascist. This includes at least half of the elected GOP and far too many cops.

At least here’s plenty of work to do.

Sing it with me now,

http://youtu.be/lqoCTPTt3Ro
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #18817 on: August 19, 2019, 05:42:17 PM »

News Item
August 19, 2019

Hillsdale College is an example of an institution that refuses to adhere to federal mandates and
shuns the money that comes with them.  It makes up the difference by finding other sources of revenue. The new federal regulation bans abortion referrals by those who are federally funded, about $60 million dollars a year to Planned Parenthood.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18818 on: August 19, 2019, 05:49:11 PM »

Well, my normal response to something like that is no one is an omnibus. They get to choose the issues that matter to them.

Well, normally I would agree.  But we have established here that if Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is something that matters to you then you are either anti-Israel or anti-Semitic or both.

The only thing you've established is your proclivity to erect strawmen.

No one put forth that opinion.

You need to take better care of your posting.  The meaning behind your accusation that bodiddley has a dark “unspoken agenda” was clear enough and when he clarified your meaning you didn’t disagree.  You said “others might disagree with me” that Israel has a right to exist, and that nukes should be kept out of the hands of (Muslim) crazy religious fanatics as though posters here do. 

And you are not alone.  Both you and Josh, posters I might otherwise respect, seem to have spent the last few days here arguing “of course Israel deserves criticism, but if you criticize it, it’s because you don’t like Jews.”

Layered on to the many problems with that line of argument, its intellectually dishonest.  I put it in the same category as Republicans who renamed the Freedom Fries because if the French are against our war in Iraq then of course they are against Freedom.

My posts are clear, pointed but nuanced. People have agendas and biases. There is nothing wrong with that. I support Israel. But I am a troubled and conflicted supporter and started the recent forum topic with a post that was critical of Israel and Bibi.

And as I recall Bo did not respond to the suggestion of an unspoken agenda, but rather told me he was a critical but paranoid critic of China, and was upset that Enes Kanter couldn't take a road trip as a Knick, but not much on his leanings on the matter under discussion. He may be a Paestinian supporter, wholly neutral, or like me, a conlicted Israeli-supporter, all good, and all opinions welcome. But nonetheless his agenda remains unspoken, which is fine, thats his right, but it remains a prism from which I will view his posts on the subject.

And before lecturing me on what you deem intellectual dishonesty, perhaps you should not be so quick to jump to a false narrative. So clean-up your own bullshit, or you can contine to to play with yourself and your transparent strawmen.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18819 on: August 19, 2019, 05:51:49 PM »

Two pinhead scum bags going away for a while

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1880031

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #18820 on: August 19, 2019, 05:59:53 PM »

I watched a show in the middle of the night on Public Television about the last Empress of Iran, Farah Pahlavi, and she seems like a good person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farah_Pahlavi

Maybe her family can help Iran to evolve in more healthy ways, if they still have any influence.

Salute,

Tony V.
Uh... you probably have more influence in Iran than the Shah's family.

Farah and Noor Pahlavi are on Facebook...

-----

Farah Pahlavi - فرح پهلوی
August 10 at 10:57 AM ·

Sympathy and support of #Iran _ women _ Lion

-------------

On her page she is talking about human rights in Iran, and other good stuff, I think that Farah is a good person.

Salute,

Tony V.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #18821 on: August 19, 2019, 06:00:38 PM »

The coverage and slant of news in the US greatly favors Israel.
I don't this is self-evident and not debatable.  All the terms and presentation favor a pro-Israel view of the situation.  I can pick examples out of almost any general news article if you want.

Israel and the US mount fierce diplomatic campaigns and apply pressure to prevent countries and the UN from recognizing Palestine as a state.  Isn't this well-known?  They especially don't want the Palestinians having access to international criminal courts, who would likely rule against Israeli violations of international law.

The Palestinians are allowed a very limited gov't, overseen and restricted by Israel.

Gaza.  Israel maintains an air-sea-land blockade.
Only allowing enough basic supplies in to keep mass starvation at bay.
IL also shoots people on their own territory who approach a fenced border.

Israel has divided the West Bank into three sectors, the majority of which is controlled and policed by Israeli soldiers.  IL controls movement and construction throughout the WB.  Israel collect taxes and decides how and when to pass that on to the Palestinians.

Iran is the enemy of the USA, not Israel. Wake up.
So is Russia, if we are being non-sequitorious. Just because Israel is an ally shouldn't mean we do not.raise.issues when their actions are wrong, or are harmful to our long term self interest.

Haven't heard those two Congress women say anything about Iran. Don't be distracted by Israel. Iran is the threat to stabilization in the region, and in Central Asia. Wake the fuck up.
Israel's failure to deal effectively, justly and humanely with the Palestinian issue is a  long term threat to stability in the region and our national interests and would be so regardless of Iran's international ambitions. Wake the fuck up.

I would suggest that there is a fair degree of shared responsibility as to the failure to find a realistic solution. In the interim I'll wait until Israel returns ALL  land gained in wars, and yields to all Palestinian demands, and acts justly and humanely enough to satiate their most rabid critics.
Of course to the first part. Don't exaggerate to the second; "you can't satisfy some people" is an too often an excuse for inaction. There are people on your side of the issue for whom nothing short of the extreme will be enough as well.

If you agree to the first part, then perhaps a post explicitly stating a shared responsibility for failure should have been posted rather than label it "Israel's failure".

And can we agree that the extremes on both sides will lead to disaster?

My point was there may be no position that Israel can take, which satisfies its critics which does not materially threaten the state.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18822 on: August 19, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »

You hold leaders and parties to a higher standards when they are part of what claim to be open democratic societies that enforce and abide by rule of law.

You only expect to get movement toward a humane standard of behavior through enormous pressure on a nation like China, Russia, India under Modhi, or Turkey under Edrogan. You expect core allied democracies to maintain and improve that on their own.

One bad election, and a crook willing to stir up hatred to consolidate power can derail even the greatest of nations on earth.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #18823 on: August 19, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d265843e4b0cfb596002431

CA responds to police shootings.

It ain’t hard to do something unless your head is perpetually up your ass.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #18824 on: August 19, 2019, 06:16:34 PM »

India's Hindu Nationalism is worrying.
But I haven't followed in enough detail to know how bad it is, or where it might be heading.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 1253 1254 [1255] 1256 1257 ... 4288