Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1293 1294 [1295] 1296 1297 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608317 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19410 on: August 25, 2019, 10:42:05 PM »

Ya make one mistake!

"One mistake."

Exactly why it's best to have no friends in the first place...or only ones who you can guarantee will 'love' and support you thru thick and thin, the good times and the bad times.
Easy to get friends...people will be happy to associate with you if there's something in it for them...free trips on yacht, free holidays, free food and drink, use you to promote themselves etc.
Rip you off at after work drinks at the pub...they talk you into buying the first round, you buy them all a drink 8 x $3....$24.
Then about 4 have another drink, you have a lemon squash costing $1.
You pay out $24 and get $1 back.
Next time...they say "your first shout bambu"...another $24 down the drain.
Morons, taking advantage.
Better off with no friends.
Get a dog...it will always be your friend.

Neighbours...baaah.
You'll be lucky to get good ones, most will like you until you don't agree with them about something, or object to something they're doing or want to do.

Neighbours...baaah, always wanting to borrow your nice stuff...then you have to go chase them to get it back....or they damage your nice stuff they borrowed, return it damaged and never offer to pay.
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be".

Your life sucks. I have no idea what you did to find yourself so readily taken advantage of by so many people, but I do feel sad for you and glad again that you did not have kids.

I've got a couple folks like you describe in my life, but I have more folks who would go out of their way for me and for whom I would do the same, with no thought of what the recompense might be. Nobody breaking my stuff and refusing to pay. Nobody from whom I borrow stuff and then refuse to pay when I break it.

Instead, a neighbor who has us over for pancackes every couple weeks and for whom I do shopping sometimes. We have access to each other's houses. Just visited one of my wife's friends/co-workers in the hospital. I know she would do the same in reverse position.

But I also have friends I met in decades past, who were my students, and who look out for me and who I look out for as well.

It sounds like a lonely world you live in.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19411 on: August 25, 2019, 10:45:51 PM »

Interesting perspective regarding the “debate” on Israel...

No sane Israeli loves Trump. No one here in their right mind believes he’s the second coming of God. Yeah, we have some bigoted, racist lunatics on the fringes who support him. These are the settlers who burn down Palestinian land and houses. These are the religious zealots who believe the entire land of Israel belongs to the Jewish people and that Arabs and Muslims are inferior. These are the cynical, hate-filled bigots who support The President’s policies.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/08/25/the-very-last-thing-sane-israelis-want/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19412 on: August 25, 2019, 11:59:36 PM »

No sane Israeli loves Trump. No one here in their right mind believes he’s the second coming of God. Yeah, we have some bigoted, racist lunatics on the fringes who support him. These are the settlers who burn down Palestinian land and houses. These are the religious zealots who believe the entire land of Israel belongs to the Jewish people and that Arabs and Muslims are inferior. These are the cynical, hate-filled bigots who support The President’s policies.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/08/25/the-very-last-thing-sane-israelis-want/

And yet enough folks vote for Bibi's party that he remains in office.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:03:04 AM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19413 on: August 26, 2019, 01:05:52 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/25/politics/trump-mar-a-lago-crowd-va-emails/index.html

Career officials at the Department of Veterans Affairs expressed deep frustrations over having to entertain "ridiculous" policy recommendations from a trio of influential Mar-a-Lago club members during President Donald Trump's time in office, according to documents released by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics.

A series of internal emails spanning from November 2017 to June 2018, show that VA officials wrote to senior staffers with concerns about how this group of three, known within the department as "the Mar-a-Lago crowd," was given the authority to influence policy despite having no government experience or expertise in veterans issues.

CNN has previously reported how this trio, which included Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter, Bruce Moskowitz, a Palm Beach doctor, and lawyer Marc Sherman, was very open about the fact that they had been "anointed by the President and had his full support to influence policy at the VA" despite never being appointed or installed as formal advisers, sources told CNN.

A former VA official previously told CNN that it was almost as if the Mar-a-Lago group were given influence over the agency as "spoils" after Trump's election victory, adding that the dynamic was "unprecedented."

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #19414 on: August 26, 2019, 02:48:09 AM »

Ya make one mistake!

"One mistake."

Exactly why it's best to have no friends in the first place...or only ones who you can guarantee will 'love' and support you thru thick and thin, the good times and the bad times.
Easy to get friends...people will be happy to associate with you if there's something in it for them...free trips on yacht, free holidays, free food and drink, use you to promote themselves etc.
Rip you off at after work drinks at the pub...they talk you into buying the first round, you buy them all a drink 8 x $3....$24.
Then about 4 have another drink, you have a lemon squash costing $1.
You pay out $24 and get $1 back.
Next time...they say "your first shout bambu"...another $24 down the drain.
Morons, taking advantage.
Better off with no friends.
Get a dog...it will always be your friend.

Neighbours...baaah.
You'll be lucky to get good ones, most will like you until you don't agree with them about something, or object to something they're doing or want to do.

Neighbours...baaah, always wanting to borrow your nice stuff...then you have to go chase them to get it back....or they damage your nice stuff they borrowed, return it damaged and never offer to pay.
"Neither a borrower nor a lender be".

Your life sucks. I have no idea what you did to find yourself so readily taken advantage of by so many people, but I do feel sad for you and glad again that you did not have kids.

I've got a couple folks like you describe in my life, but I have more folks who would go out of their way for me and for whom I would do the same, with no thought of what the recompense might be. Nobody breaking my stuff and refusing to pay. Nobody from whom I borrow stuff and then refuse to pay when I break it.

Instead, a neighbor who has us over for pancackes every couple weeks and for whom I do shopping sometimes. We have access to each other's houses. Just visited one of my wife's friends/co-workers in the hospital. I know she would do the same in reverse position.

But I also have friends I met in decades past, who were my students, and who look out for me and who I look out for as well.

It sounds like a lonely world you live in.

I make my own pancakes.
No way I'd give anyone the key to my home.
Most of my 'friends' I see at footy games in Sydney. I sold up and moved out of Sydney a few years ago.
Complex I live in now has activities. I'm not into cutting and sawing stuff, so the mens group is not for me. I don't like swimming in the heated pool...the chlorine is overpowering and communal pools are not for me. Too hot in the summer for lawn bowls.
I don't like committing to anything...too much trouble, too hard.

I'm doing what I always promised myself I'd do in retirement...sleep/rest in, get up when I've fully woken up, have a leisurely breakfast, read the newspaper, have a shower. By then it's 10.30am.
Listen to no1 radio host from 5.30am until 6.30am, then, having heard what more of a basket case the country is becoming every day at the hands of useless politicians, and callers telling how bad it is in their world...I switch over to FM radio, where they're living in oblivious paradise. FM show finishes at 10am. Mrs bambu says, para: "it's mindless drivel".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:52:39 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #19415 on: August 26, 2019, 03:12:19 AM »

And yet enough folks vote for Bibi's party that he remains in office.

Those wise folks know where their bread is buttered...in Washington no matter who occupies the Oval Office.
In reality, who else will save them if not America?
Answer: no one.

It’s just that for some reason, these extremist voices are amplified while the silent majority sits back and hopes this awful stretch of American history will soon be forgotten.

Most of us Israelis are terrified of The President. We’re terrified because most of us have lost friends, colleagues, family and other loved ones in the never-ending conflict with our neighbors. We just want to live in peace and quiet, eat hummus, go to work, raise our kids and take a vacation once a year.

Basically, to live a normal life.

#####

The said 'never-ending conflict' started when Trump was 2 yrs old and Bibi not even born?
Peace and quiet?  nice dream. Wonder when the next missiles will be fired into Israel?

Seems the 'silent majority' do their talking at the ballot box.

Of course, there are solutions, 'none' of which the author of the article would likely accept as reasonable...it seems.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 03:15:43 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19416 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:43 AM »

"According to police, the series of shootings, which began when he shot a neighbor who was collecting money for Coats for Kids, ended two blood soaked hours later when, ironically, the Darwin man turned the gun on himself, and missed."

Given all his anti-science posts, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turned a gun on Darwin.

ANTI-SCIENCE!!!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19417 on: August 26, 2019, 08:32:27 AM »

---Several of the party’s leading presidential hopefuls have railed against Trump’s trade war, accusing the president of being erratic in confronting China while causing needless economic pain. But they are also arguing for a tougher approach to China than Trump has pursued. It’s a message that may be hard to reconcile with their vows to ease or reverse the damage caused by the widening trade war.---

Well done, Luee

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #19418 on: August 26, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/25/politics/trump-mar-a-lago-crowd-va-emails/index.html

Career officials at the Department of Veterans Affairs expressed deep frustrations over having to entertain "ridiculous" policy recommendations from a trio of influential Mar-a-Lago club members during President Donald Trump's time in office, according to documents released by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics.

A series of internal emails spanning from November 2017 to June 2018, show that VA officials wrote to senior staffers with concerns about how this group of three, known within the department as "the Mar-a-Lago crowd," was given the authority to influence policy despite having no government experience or expertise in veterans issues.

CNN has previously reported how this trio, which included Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter, Bruce Moskowitz, a Palm Beach doctor, and lawyer Marc Sherman, was very open about the fact that they had been "anointed by the President and had his full support to influence policy at the VA" despite never being appointed or installed as formal advisers, sources told CNN.

A former VA official previously told CNN that it was almost as if the Mar-a-Lago group were given influence over the agency as "spoils" after Trump's election victory, adding that the dynamic was "unprecedented."

A definite improvement, the VA had sunk to unbelievable levels under BHO official appointees. Concerned and driven citizens can sometimes do a lot better than career political hacks. Imagine, someone is actually holding them accountable and double checking the perfect numbers. One of DTs better efforts. Outsourcing the appeal process, fantastically brilliant. Former is perfect!
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #19419 on: August 26, 2019, 09:28:06 AM »

---Several of the party’s leading presidential hopefuls have railed against Trump’s trade war, accusing the president of being erratic in confronting China while causing needless economic pain. But they are also arguing for a tougher approach to China than Trump has pursued. It’s a message that may be hard to reconcile with their vows to ease or reverse the damage caused by the widening trade war.---

Well done, Luee

Interesting, you read Luee's paragraph but apparently not Warren's carefully researched and fact-based policy proposal to help the American farmer.   

Too many words and scary-difficult concepts? 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #19420 on: August 26, 2019, 09:33:49 AM »

A definite improvement, the VA had sunk to unbelievable levels under BHO official appointees. Concerned and driven citizens can sometimes do a lot better than career political hacks. Imagine, someone is actually holding them accountable and double checking the perfect numbers. One of DTs better efforts. Outsourcing the appeal process, fantastically brilliant. Former is perfect!

https://www.apnews.com/375515aecedb4aed949e4f2eb9c54eb6
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #19421 on: August 26, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »

https://apnews.com/097baab5b5744ccb88e5b1471c5233cf

Indonesia to move its capital to Borneo.  Wow,  that's what planning ahead looks like.  Someone thinking beyond the next election cycle.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #19422 on: August 26, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »

Well done, Luee

Interesting, you read Luee's paragraph but apparently not Warren's carefully researched and fact-based policy proposal to help the American farmer.   

Experts disagree, sounds very liberal elitist.

---Elizabeth Warren’s trade plan is bad politics and worse policy---

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/30/elizabeth-warrens-trade-plan-is-bad-politics-worse-policy/
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19423 on: August 26, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »

Well done, Luee

Experts disagree, sounds very liberal elitist.

---Elizabeth Warren’s trade plan is bad politics and worse policy---

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/07/30/elizabeth-warrens-trade-plan-is-bad-politics-worse-policy/

Especially if you are making up your own definition for “liberal” and “elitist”, or if you simply have no clue what those words mean.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #19424 on: August 26, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »

Luee, I don't disagree with poking some holes in Warren's trade plan proposal.  My link, for those who read it, was about her farm/agribiz policy which is somewhat better crafted.  The WaPo columnist does acknowledge some positives in her trade proposal, btw....

If I was inclined to bend over backwards to be fair, Warren’s theory of trade policy is consistent with her larger theory of corporate power playing too large a role in public policy. And she has a leg to stand on here with trade policy. Corporate interests have privileged access to trade negotiations in a way that unions, environmentalists, and other stakeholders do not. Warren’s proposal to “ensure that there are more representatives from labor, environmental, and consumer groups than from corporations and trade groups on every existing advisory committee” is interesting, particularly for empowering consumers. Her point about not pushing for even more stringent intellectual property rights is a solid one.

So, if she stuck with that, and was willing to moderate her requirements for trading partners and offer better incentives for them to get preferred trading status, then maybe we would have something workable.  I always assume that whatever rough edges that candidates present during the race will be somewhat sanded down by the reality of holding office and having to learn "the art of the possible."  Since Warren and the other candidates with Senate seats already collided with reality in that chamber, I figure they know the "aspirational" parts of their platforms will be whittled down over time. 
Pages: 1 ... 1293 1294 [1295] 1296 1297 ... 4288