Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1606394 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #22035 on: October 20, 2019, 04:18:57 AM »

Still pretty amazing that the US elected such an obvious huckster.
Trump University?
Trump steaks?
A number of bankruptcies.
A guy who's businesses cut costs by not paying contractors in full ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #22036 on: October 20, 2019, 10:26:54 AM »

Many Americans don't really read news or think much about politics.   They gravitate to slogans and catchphrases.  Someone who knows how tv works (Trump) and can speak in short simple sentences (Trump) can go on tv,  twitter, FB, and easily con large masses.  Get 26% of registered voters to the polls and you can be potus.  Every dollar that is taken from quality education and literacy is a dollar towards demagoguery.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22037 on: October 20, 2019, 11:13:45 AM »

I guess, but I think the ongoing worship of wealth and business played a major part. 

Related to that, I don't think many realized how stupid or ill-informed a rich person could be.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #22038 on: October 20, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

I guess, but I think the ongoing worship of wealth and business played a major part. 

Related to that, I don't think many realized how stupid or ill-informed a rich person could be.

Oh, for sure.  Trump and team did a fine job of promoting the meme "if someone is rich, it's because they're smart."  Allied with the memes of "government is like a business" and "shrewd business is a model for good government" and all they had to do was sell the fiction that Trump was a shrewd businessman who rose on his smarts.  Since most people in key red states had barely heard of Trump, knew nothing of his checkered career, and would be hard put to say how he differed from actual shrewd moguls like Buffet or Gates, their brains presented blank slates on which almost anything could be written.   Inject origin tales into FB and Twitter echo chambers, and bada bing!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22039 on: October 20, 2019, 12:01:49 PM »

Oh, for sure.  Trump and team did a fine job of promoting the meme "if someone is rich, it's because they're smart."  Allied with the memes of "government is like a business" and "shrewd business is a model for good government" and all they had to do was sell the fiction that Trump was a shrewd businessman who rose on his smarts.  Since most people in key red states had barely heard of Trump, knew nothing of his checkered career, and would be hard put to say how he differed from actual shrewd moguls like Buffet or Gates, their brains presented blank slates on which almost anything could be written.   Inject origin tales into FB and Twitter echo chambers, and bada bing!
Hillary chose the word deplorable.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #22040 on: October 20, 2019, 12:10:06 PM »

She was right.

Dumb deplorable motherfuckers.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22041 on: October 20, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »

Racists, white nationalists, etc. are deplorable.
I wouldn't want them voting for me either.
It's cute that you think one word from Hillary cost her the election.

It's more that anything Hillary did or said was negativized and echoed and then picked up by the media.  For instance, the private email server is really small potatoes, in terms of being president and running the country, but became a huge issue.  You'd think 3 bankruptcies for a so-called successful businessman would be bigger news, but nobody cared.   Or the fact that Trump really was ill-informed on a whole host of political issues.

The GOP has done a masterful job of manipulating the media the past couple decades, with a big assist from Fox and talk radio.  The Left is arguably larger but more diffuse and really just doesn't have equivalent propaganda outlets (in terms of media, think tanks, Russia, etc)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22042 on: October 20, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »

The few reasonable middle-of-road voters I have talked to who voted for Trump said that they wanted change and/or that a businessman would be able to run the economy well.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #22043 on: October 20, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »

Deplorable comment was no biggie. Those assholes had their heads up Trump’s ass anyway...

What did in Clinton was the media and their “But her emails!” frame.

REDSTATEWARD was correct in his assessment that constant trickle or “Drip, drip, drip...”

Three years later we have The New York Times quietly drop this little nugget on page 16...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/18/us/politics/state-dept-inquiry-clinton-emails.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22044 on: October 20, 2019, 12:31:10 PM »

And before that it was Benghazi.
The goal was to always link Clinton to some pseudo-scandal which could be trumped up into seeming to be some major corruption to keep a  damaging and negative association.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #22045 on: October 20, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

She was right.

Dumb deplorable motherfuckers.
LOL! I

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #22046 on: October 20, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »

Of course, nobody cares that a number of Trump officials have used private email to conduct official business, including Kushner using Whatsapp (to communicate with the Saudi leader among other things).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22047 on: October 20, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »

Donald chose the Russians. Repeatedly.

You chose him. Repeatedly.

And you think that "deplorable" is worse?

That makes you deplorable.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22048 on: October 20, 2019, 01:57:55 PM »

Of course, nobody cares that a number of Trump officials have used private email to conduct official business, including Kushner using Whatsapp (to communicate with the Saudi leader among other things).

Or about the deficit or about national security or about small government or about any GOP talking point except for reducing taxes on the wealthy and regulations on their businesses that interfere with their making more money.

That's all.

Oh, control of women and fewer rights/protections for the disadvantaged, too.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #22049 on: October 20, 2019, 02:39:11 PM »

Racists, white nationalists, etc. are deplorable.
I wouldn't want them voting for me either.
It's cute that you think one word from Hillary cost her the election.

It's more that anything Hillary did or said was negativized and echoed and then picked up by the media.  For instance, the private email server is really small potatoes, in terms of being president and running the country, but became a huge issue.  You'd think 3 bankruptcies for a so-called successful businessman would be bigger news, but nobody cared.   Or the fact that Trump really was ill-informed on a whole host of political issues.

The GOP has done a masterful job of manipulating the media the past couple decades, with a big assist from Fox and talk radio.  The Left is arguably larger but more diffuse and really just doesn't have equivalent propaganda outlets (in terms of media, think tanks, Russia, etc)

Meanwhile the press and Democratic candidates are falling over themselves to bash Clinton’s assertions Russia is grooming one of them as a third party asset a la Jill Stein.

So far everyone demanding proof and no one running down the fact Tulsi is no way a progressive democrat who stands for Assad.

It’s convenient to dog pile on Clinton (Pavlovian response) which is why she said it.
Meanwhile Gabbard ran straight to, Tucker Carlson, so yeah.
The good thing is Tulsi has declared she won’t run as a third party.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 ... 4288