Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595914 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #23220 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:01 AM »

Who said I would "choose" him? I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it. I will vote for any Democrat who gets the nomination.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

Nietzsche

Some ways are more aligned with facts, logic, and common sense.   If a woman and a child, frightened, come running down the street and down an alley, then a few seconds later a wild-eyed man holding a knife comes up and cries "which way did they go?" you will probably see that one option (misdirection) is better than the other (pointing down the alley).  The reason we have philosophy and law and science (and message boards and other venues for discussion) is that we seek to determine if one way has more merit than another, when things are more complicated.   Religion is philosophy packaged with some metaphysics.  Law is philosophy packaged with penalties for actions that harm society.

Nietzsche was probably (no context to quote here) saying that the conclusions of moral philosophy were provisional and often too subjectively derived to make for absolute  rules.  He believed there was what he called master morality and slave morality, and that these differed, and were too dependent on culture to be objectively valid.   

barton

Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #23221 on: November 09, 2019, 03:54:22 PM »

“They’d essentially been hitting the ‘remind me tomorrow’ button on a critical security update for over a decade,” Oliver explained, “meaning Georgia’s election systems operate on the same level of technical proficiency as Every Dad”.   

Watch Oliver's video embedded in the article.   Funny stuff, and informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/nov/04/john-oliver-exploitable-voting-machines

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23222 on: November 09, 2019, 03:58:03 PM »

Trump needs to talk with Farah Pahlavi, she can help to improve relations between the USA and Iran, Farah is great. In California the people from Iran are called "Persians."

And Beverly Hills, California, is full of Persians, they even elected a Persian Mayor.

And one of the top models right now, Mahlagha Jaberi, is from Iran, she lives in California now.

We need to improve relations with Iran.

Farah Pahlavi Photo

Mahlagha Jaberi Photo

--------------------------

The Persian Conquest

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/persian-beverly-hills-2

------------

Persian Jews, Wikipedia page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Jews

-----------------

History of the Iranian Americans in Los Angeles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Iranian_Americans_in_Los_Angeles

---------

Iranian Jews Find a Beverly Hills Refuge

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-02-13/local/me-543_1_beverly-hills

-----------------------

IRANIAN JEW ELECTED BEVERLY HILLS MAYOR

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Iranian-Jew-elected-Beverly-Hills-mayor

-----------------------------

The Persians are a proud, beautiful people. It is sad that their civilization has been reduced to what it is today. What a pity. They need to have a renaissance, they need a great awakening, they need to become great and proud again. The terrorism and crime and closed mindedness must end. And they need to be more about love and beauty, and less about hate and violence.

Mahlagha Jaberi certainly is beautiful, maybe she can help to lead the new generation of Persians.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:42:10 PM by FlyingVProd »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23223 on: November 09, 2019, 06:04:21 PM »

Cindy McCain said that her husband, the late Sen. John McCain, would be "terribly upset" about several recent events and she lamented the unwillingness of Republicans in Congress to speak out.

"I think he'd be disgusted with some of the stuff that's going on."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/09/politics/cindy-mccain-john-mccain-republican-party-axe-files-cnntv/index.html

I respect what Mrs. McCain is trying to do here, but the fact remains that her husband is partially responsible for the current state of the Republican Party by raising Sarah Palin to public prominence in 2008.  George W. Bush was all about pushing the party toward facts don't matter, but that was the moment where it was made clear that brains and qualification didn't matter either.

And it needs to be said again; John McCain gave the GOP Congress a historic amount of cover when he shot down their plan to take health insurance away from 30 million people.  He very well may have saved the party with that vote.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23224 on: November 09, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »

McCain was a spectacularly mixed bag. The GOP is thoroughly lost without him.

http://slate.com/business/2019/11/bill-gates-elizabeth-warren-wealth-tax.html

This gets it about right.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #23225 on: November 09, 2019, 06:08:37 PM »

And it needs to be said again; John McCain gave the GOP Congress a historic amount of cover when he shot down their plan to take health insurance away from 30 million people.  He very well may have saved the party with that vote.

To be clear, I am very happy he voted the way he did.  He should be hailed as a hero for doing so.

Just pointing out that if he hadn't both the Senate and the House would be in Democratic control right now, and the whole impeachment picture and party prospects in 2020 would look very different.

But don't expect Trump to ever be smart enough to thank him.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23226 on: November 09, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

Isn't there an Iranian model that has gotten herself in a bit of hot water, Tony?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #23227 on: November 09, 2019, 06:17:46 PM »

Sounding like Mulvaney is up to his neck in the Ukraine fiasco.

I guess that's why he tried to pass it off as normal diplomacy.
Since he was an initiator of the corrupt bargain.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23228 on: November 09, 2019, 06:17:49 PM »

"I think he'd be disgusted with some of the stuff that's going on."

Nobody cares.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #23229 on: November 09, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »

Wrong.
Like usual.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #23230 on: November 09, 2019, 06:33:38 PM »

Isn't there an Iranian model that has gotten herself in a bit of hot water, Tony?

Yes, they sentenced her to prison.

The women in Iran need to have a movement. The women of Iran must be equal under the law and equals in life. Your Persian Bride needs to be your equal partner. Be a Boss, marry a Boss, and build an empire.

And I am sure that Ivanka Trump supports improved rights for women in Iran.

The Persian women love California, and they are all rich here, the Persians all live in Beverly Hills, they live great lives here. 

Salute,

Tony V.

oilcan

« Reply #23231 on: November 09, 2019, 08:04:33 PM »

I respect what Mrs. McCain is trying to do here, but the fact remains that her husband is partially responsible for the current state of the Republican Party by raising Sarah Palin to public prominence in 2008.  George W. Bush was all about pushing the party toward facts don't matter, but that was the moment where it was made clear that brains and qualification didn't matter either.

McCain never wanted Palin as a running mate.  McCain wanted Joe Lieberman.  His advisors twisted his arm, to John's later profound regret.   He knows he opened the pandora box that Trump later slithered from.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23233 on: November 09, 2019, 08:08:09 PM »

McCain was a spectacularly mixed bag. The GOP is thoroughly lost without him.

http://slate.com/business/2019/11/bill-gates-elizabeth-warren-wealth-tax.html

This gets it about right.
I am morally certain McCain would have made general disapproving noises before voting against impeachment.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23234 on: November 09, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »

You mean removal....
Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 4288