Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1598923 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #23265 on: November 10, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »

The health of democracy and basic standards of integrity and public trust are what matter to me.   I don't speak for "you all," just for myself.   The effect of impeachment on future elections is of lesser importance to me.  I will be satisfied if Trump and every following POTUS respects campaign law, the Constitution, the duty to entirely separate oneself from all business interests while in office, and the oversight duties of Congress and independence of judicial branches.

Trump joining the ranks of "impeached, yet served 8 effective years". 

Could be, sadly - if they insist on moving on with this.
Or, down the toilet after one term, taking his party with him.

The real point.is making sure the conduct is identified, condemned, and punished. If Republicans want to be on record that this type of conduct is ok, they will regret it. If not in the 2020 election in 2021.when they realize they have given President Klobuchar that power.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #23266 on: November 10, 2019, 02:46:17 PM »

While true, the criticism of Republicans can be levelled at the Democratic Party as well: neither thinks more than 30 seconds down the road and both assume that when given power, will hold it forever.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23267 on: November 10, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »

I think one of these days that will be true - 20+ years straight with same party in White House.

May have started in '16 - or may start in '20 - no telling.

barton

« Reply #23268 on: November 10, 2019, 04:11:51 PM »

The health of democracy and basic standards of integrity and public trust are what matter to me.   I don't speak for "you all," just for myself.   The effect of impeachment on future elections is of lesser importance to me.  I will be satisfied if Trump and every following POTUS respects campaign law, the Constitution, the duty to entirely separate oneself from all business interests while in office, and the oversight duties of Congress and independence of judicial branches.

Pay attention to how independent voters are polling.  A majority favor an impeachment inquiry.  That does not signal to me that they resent Democrats doing their constitutional duty.   Did you look at Facility's Vox poll, posted earlier?  The shift is away from sitting meekly with hands folded while 45 extorts foreign leaders for personal gain, and other conduct that degrades the presidency and hurts America's interests.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23269 on: November 10, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »

Inquiry does not equal impeachment

But they seem to have their minds made up

There are no independents in the House.  Thus independent voter polls mean nothing to the outcome of this.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #23270 on: November 10, 2019, 05:16:13 PM »

Inquiry does not equal impeachment

But they seem to have their minds made up

There are no independents in the House.  Thus independent voter polls mean nothing to the outcome of this.

You really don’t know this works.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23271 on: November 10, 2019, 06:32:38 PM »

Independent polling is inconsequential to the impeachment issue.

What don't you understand?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23272 on: November 10, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »

Republicans are abandoning independent voters. Republicans find themselves repulsive and understand that all the other Americans don’t look on them as favorably as the republicans do themselves.

Trump the terrorist leader deserves the same fate as Bin Laden. When the time comes, the United States should use the same ship to deliver his remains to the deep.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #23273 on: November 10, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »

"It was a random dude just ran up to the balloon, stuck a knife in it, and ran off. We had police close by because of another driver earlier, so they went over and arrested him and his getaway driver," Gulas told CNN through Twitter.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/09/politics/trump-balloon-alabama-lsu-football-game/index.html

Whats the usual sentence for a balloon attack?  And what the fuck took so long.

The baby blimp is free speech.  You and Red keep saying how strongly you favor that.

Wonder how long that free speech would last if Trump-inc hoisted two balloons mocking two Democrat women.

Like this, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaMS4j6xFJo
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 07:21:02 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23274 on: November 10, 2019, 07:22:39 PM »

Not as long as Republicans need independent voters to win. Why dont.you understand?
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23275 on: November 10, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »

No, it can't.

He has not served effectively yet and there is no reason to expect that to change.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #23276 on: November 10, 2019, 07:38:58 PM »

Red got a tax cut.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23277 on: November 10, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »

Not as long as Republicans need independent voters to win. Why dont.you understand?

That would be election related

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #23278 on: November 10, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »

No, it can't.

He has not served effectively yet and there is no reason to expect that to change.

heh

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23279 on: November 10, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »

Former United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley revealed in her forthcoming memoir that former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and former White House chief of staff John Kelly attempted to recruit her to undermine President Donald Trump in an effort to "save the country," according to The Washington Post.

John Kelly responded:
if giving Trump "the best and most open, legal and ethical staffing advice from across the [government] so he could make an informed decision is 'working against Trump,' then guilty as charged."

But just listening to Haley, lots of questions come up:
she claims that former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and former White House chief of staff John Kelly tried to recruit her into that effort. She says she refused. The Washington Post also reported on the exchange. NBC News has not independently verified the passage.

"Kelly and Tillerson confided in me that when they resisted the president, they weren’t being insubordinate, they were trying to save the country," Haley wrote. "Tillerson went on to tell me the reason he resisted the president's decisions was because, if he didn't, people would die."

When CBS News asked whether Haley stood by the quote, she said: "It absolutely happened. And instead of saying that to me, they should've been saying that to the president, not asking me to join them on their sidebar plan.

"It should've been 'Go tell the president what your differences are, and quit if you don't like what he's doing,'" she said. "But to undermine a president is really a very dangerous thing. And it goes against the Constitution, and it goes against what the American people want. And it was offensive."

Ironically, she subsequently complained that she did not understand why the hearings are happening in Congress, explaining that it should  be handled by the American public.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1550 1551 [1552] 1553 1554 ... 4288