Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583575 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24315 on: December 03, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »

But for some reason Russia gets nothing but hugs and kisses from our "president."

No sanctions on Russia.  No critique at all?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24316 on: December 03, 2019, 11:38:42 AM »

Trump took the opportunity to once again slam Obama today when discussing ISIS fighters.   Each time it has its positive effect (toward Republican side) on undecided voters - and Trump's off the cuff timing is beautiful.

Every time Trump says something kiidcarter8 likes, he gains the support of independents.  Brilliant!  And delivered with such good timing!

Yet for some inexplicable reason his approval rating has been in the low 40s for years.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24317 on: December 03, 2019, 11:40:15 AM »

But for some reason Russia gets nothing but hugs and kisses from our "president."

No sanctions on Russia.  No critique at all?

Sanctions delivered by Congress and reluctantly signed by your "president."

If there has been an actual critique from Trump's mouth I missed it.  Maybe you could point to one.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24318 on: December 03, 2019, 11:41:57 AM »

So our nation's actions belong to Trump - but only when it is convenient for you.

Got it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24319 on: December 03, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »

Go after every group.
DEM economics and social policies are popular.
Turnout is key.
Target women, target youth, target the elderly, target workers.
Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Jews, Muslims and atheists.
The more people who are registered, and the more who vote is best for the Dems.
Get that word out.

The goal shouldn't be just to remove Trump, but to win the Senate and enact real progressive legislation.

The Obama coalition is still out there...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24320 on: December 03, 2019, 11:49:56 AM »

So our nation's actions belong to Trump - but only when it is convenient for you.

Got it.

There are a great many things my nation does that I can be proud of despite the wishes of Donald Trump. 

There is oversight of the executive, thankfully.  Through the courts.  Through Congress.  By career officials more interested in doing their jobs.  Sometimes its even because the "president's" specific wishes are ignored by the people working for him.

In my nation the President is not a dictator.  I get how, given the nations and leaders Trump and you Trumpists adore, you may not see that as a good thing.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24321 on: December 03, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »

Oh, and here is an article about how Republicans are embracing a Russia-born conspiracy theory they propagated to weaken our nation because it is the most "politically expedient" way to defend him:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/republicans-embrace-ukrainian-2016-interference-allegation-in-defense-of-trump

And can't dismiss that Republicans full embrace of Russia here isn't also about the interference they know is coming and will be for their benefit in 2020.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24322 on: December 03, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »

Oh, and here is an article about how Republicans are embracing a Russia-born conspiracy theory they propagated to weaken our nation because it is the most "politically expedient" way to defend him:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/republicans-embrace-ukrainian-2016-interference-allegation-in-defense-of-trump

And can't dismiss that Republicans full embrace of Russia here isn't also about the interference they know is coming and will be for their benefit in 2020.

Mitt Romney, as seems to happen on occasion, the one Republican saying the right thing (as opposed to batshit things) on this.

https://news.yahoo.com/romney-contests-trump-ukraine-election-170309576.html

Remains to be seen if he can find his testicles when it comes time to actually vote on something.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:13:38 PM by NeedsAdjustments »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24323 on: December 03, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »

In 1999 Putin bombed his own people.  Four apartment blocks were brought down, killing 300 people, injuring 1,000, and FSB agents are largely seen as the culprits.  Putin, head of the FSB at the time, fingered Chechen terrorists, used the incident as a pretext for war, and to strengthen Yeltsin who was putting Putin forward to be President. 

So Putin understands the political power of a well-placed terrorist attack.  He wanted power and was willing to kill his own people to get it.  You don't think he would be willing to do that to Americans?  Can there be any question in our minds that he would be able to pull it off?

I know this will be dismissed as alarmist, and I certainly am not saying this will happen.  But its an illustration of the risks Republicans take when they go all in supporting the ends sought by a murderous autocrat who is, in fact, actively working against the interests of the United States and her allies.

I expect the attack to be against our polling process.  But how can we dismiss the possibility of something life threatening?  At best we can call Republicans ill informed when they go for political expedience over the safety of Americans and the sanctity of our elections.

I suspect though there are some in the GOP that know exactly what they are doing.

barton

« Reply #24324 on: December 03, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »

Slow painful progress continues. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/03/business/trump-deutsche-bank-subpoena.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Deutsche Bank Must Comply With Trump Subpoenas, Appeals Court Says

A federal appeals court said Tuesday that Deutsche Bank must turn over detailed documents about President Trump’s finances to two congressional committees, a ruling that is almost certain to be appealed to the Supreme Court.

The decision was a victory for House Democrats as they investigate Mr. Trump and his businesses. It means that extensive information about Mr. Trump’s personal and business finances — which the president has spent years fighting to keep secret — has moved a step closer to becoming public.

Democratic-controlled congressional committees issued subpoenas to two banks — Deutsche Bank, long Mr. Trump’s biggest lender, and Capital One — this year for financial records related to the president, his companies and his family. Mr. Trump sued the banks to block them from complying.

Mr. Trump’s lawyer didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The court’s ruling gave Mr. Trump seven days to appeal the decision.

Deutsche Bank became Mr. Trump’s main lender after a string of bankruptcies cost other banks hundreds of millions of dollars, and its files would most likely contain a rich trove of documents....

barton

« Reply #24325 on: December 03, 2019, 12:54:02 PM »

No. 3 State Department official testifies that Ukraine did not interfere in 2016 election

David Hale, undersecretary of state for political affairs, contradicted two common Trump talking points, telling the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election was not a “hoax,” and that he has seen no evidence to suggest that Ukraine was guilty of interference in that election.

Sen. Robert Menendez (N.J.), the top Democrat on the panel, asked Hale whether he had any reason to disagree with testimony former White House national security expert Fiona Hill gave the House that the conspiracy theory about Ukraine’s interference “is a fictional narrative that is being perpetrated and propagated by the Russian Security Services themselves.”

Hale, the third-ranking State Department official, said he did not.

Menendez went on to point out that Trump has continued to press the Ukraine story line even though it was disputed by career diplomats and intelligence officials.

“Is our national security made stronger or weaker when members of the administration or members of Congress insist on repeating debunked Russian lies?” Menendez asked.

“That does not serve our interest,” Hale said.
  - breaking news, from the Post

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24326 on: December 03, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »

You don't think that's going to make one whit of difference, do you?   
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24327 on: December 03, 2019, 01:27:55 PM »

And when you were 28?
Did you travel the world then?
Were you spending up big then?  or were you working hard, saving every penny to get a car, get a home, moving in and sitting on boxes, going without lunch for 2 days before payday to save, commuting and not living in an apartment "overlooking Central Park"?

You seem to be under the impression that travels in one's 20s precluded working hard.

But let's see... at 26, two years after I bought a house, I went to Australia, Austin, and Austria. I treated a couple to Australia, with me, for their honeymoon and brought a friend to Austria with me, as  well. When I was 22, I went to Britain. (Somebody even interviewed me on television while I was there, as I was reminded on the 40th anniversary by a link!) In between, I was in the far East - Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Back to Japan just a few years later. Not sure what year that or Bermuda was, though both before I was 32.

Since then, most of my travels have been domestic, as my spouse is not a fan of international travel. But... I've been to at least 34 states since then, excluding drive through or airport stops.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #24328 on: December 03, 2019, 01:53:43 PM »

Kamala Harris jumps off the clown car.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24329 on: December 03, 2019, 01:55:57 PM »

Getting the idea that all the good Trump has done for US international relations will be continued - now that the tone has been set - even if Dems should win in 2020.  Surely they won't wish to go backwards.

He's already driven us backwards farther and faster than anybody expected.

No, they will wish to go forward and to undo what he has done.

That you think this a good move is more of your unswerving commitment to state level suicide.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 1620 1621 [1622] 1623 1624 ... 4288