Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584183 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #24465 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:08 PM »

Really?
What are Booker’s poll numbers?
And just what does he stand for?
Obviously not much. A message from the Gray Lady to lay off vouchers  and folds?
His embarrassing performance at the SCTUS hearings?

Bark bark bark.

I addressed a comment from bodiddley that Booker looked out of his depth.  Your contribution thus far has been to cut and paste from an article that doesn't even address that point, and to erroneously claim that Booker ran away from his support of charter schools as a Presidential Candidate (incidentally, also irrelevant to that point)

STFU, Sea Lion.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #24466 on: December 04, 2019, 01:38:55 PM »

Witness called by the Republicans:

"If you have a Quid Pro Quo then you have an impeachable offense."

Ok.  Good to know.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24467 on: December 04, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »

Why does Ms Warren say student loan debt especially crushes people of color?
Because facts.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24468 on: December 04, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »

As one whose Student Loan debt exceeds the Gross National Product of many nations, I would happily accept loan forgiveness.  At the same time, I don't think it's the world's greatest idea.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24469 on: December 04, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »

Not sure what Booker stood for or advocated.
His why-can't-we-all-get-along shtick and shying away from negativity seemed to read the national mood wrong.  I think he was trying to mimic  Obama in a post-Obama era after Obama's centrist, work-together message proved unrealistic.  Obama got bamboozled over and over.  The GOP was never going to work with Obama, but it took him 7 years to figure that out.

Otherwise, I think the US isn't likely to vote for another black president so soon, despite or maybe because of the current racial polarization.  Realistically, black and female was two strikes on Kamala from the get-go.

After being mayor of Newark, rising star Cory Booker T had to persuade the wealthy donor class and NJ voters in general that he wasn't some urban radical, but a respectable politician.  Newark is a complicated place in the Jersey psyche.  It's the largest city in a suburban state.  It's also been something of a war zone, ghetto, crime-pit, source of fear for a long time.  There's been some success improving Newark with development, sport teams, a few big businesses (Prudential, major NJ law firms, etc).
Booker took some chances as mayor of Newark and was willing to try anything that might work.  But he had to distance himself somewhat from the specter of Newark to become senator. 

But cycling back, I have no idea why Booker ran/is running for president, except that it's the next rung on the ladder for an ambitious politician who has become a senator.  And once you are senator from NJ, you're there forever, much like CA.  In Senate terms, NJ is largely a one party state.  And it's real tough to defeat a sitting senator in a primary.   Even sleazy scandals haven't derailed creepy Menendez (D-NJ) who was re-elected last go while under indictment.

Recycling back, what I saw of Booker in the campaign, he seemed lightweight.  I was disappointed he didn't seem to have much to offer or a strategy to get whatever message out.   

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #24470 on: December 04, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

Even more more to the point, Trump's actions are impeachable before even getting into the aid.  Pressuring a foreign government to interfere in the 2020 election is clear abuse of power.  Withholding normal relations and a White House visit until they perform specific acts that constitute said interference is Quid Pro Quo/Extortion.  Covering up the actions that pointed to the above Obstruction of Justice.

That aid to an ally at war voted on by both Republicans and Democrats in Congress was involved in that extortion attempt ma make the action only more egregious, but the impeachment bar has already been cleared.

Yep. Yep. Yep.  And Yep.
Sondland who was directing a fair amount of the dubious deal said straight out that the WH visit phone call were part of a Q pro Q, contingent on the Ukraine Prez announcing an investigation intended to hurt Biden and help Trump's re-election.

It's only logical that $400M in military aid was also withheld to amp up the pressure.  And there's a good deal of evidence to that effect.  Not to mention the evidence/witnesses withheld which could further shore up the case.

BTW, here's the full 300 page House committee document on impeachment: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6566093-House-impeachment-report-PDF.html
I haven't had time to go through more than the intro yet.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24471 on: December 04, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »

Just try and imagine how you would respond if Obama had withheld aid from an ally, struggling to fend off Russian incursion, in order to get them to supply dirt on Mitt Romney? 

I said SIMPLY withholding the aid, with nothing given in return.

This is where you say, "No.".

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24472 on: December 04, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »

Again, SIMPLY withholding aid granted by Congress would violate Trump's constitutional duty to faithfully execute the laws, would be an abuse of power, and WOULD be impeachable. 

SIMPLY. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24473 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:54 PM »

Do you think the simple withholding of the aid is impeachable, oilcan?

Yes.  Of course. This has all been adequately demonstrated and explained here.  Just try and imagine how you would respond if Obama had withheld aid from an ally, struggling to fend off Russian incursion, in order to get them to supply dirt on Mitt Romney?  And then instructed officials to refuse to release pertinent documents, in order to cover up his actions?  If you wish to reduce the bias and prejudice in the world, you must start with your own self.
Even more to the point, I would think that  "simple withholding" of aid approved by Congress would be a clear violation of the President's duty to faithfully execute the laws.

Haven't other nations had aid withheld?

Law says aid needs to be released before end of fiscal year, doesnt it?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24474 on: December 04, 2019, 02:16:27 PM »

I mean, Booker wanted to get some visibility, but he's never been all that much of a contender - mayors rarely get far when they go direct to running for POTUS.  I doubt even Bloomberg, though his city is nearly nation-sized in people, and though he's got billions, will get that far.  I like that Cory said he was big on affordable housing and had some cool ideas for it, but pretty much anyone who's been a mayor rubs up against the affordable housing issue in a close and personal way, so that's just a given.  Mayors are probably the real frontline when it comes to battling wrestling with developers and NIMBY snobs who have no interest in real affordable housing.  When it comes to housing, that old phrase "all politics is local," really resonates.

Booker has been a US Senator for a bit...

Bo and O-Can don't know Corey too well.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24475 on: December 04, 2019, 02:16:37 PM »

You asked a question about SIMPLY withholding aid and now you're qualifying it. Do you know what the law says?  Why don't you look it up and report back.  It's likely more than 280 characters, though.  So take your time.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #24476 on: December 04, 2019, 02:36:12 PM »

I will believe what I have heard.  It is not unlawful to do what Trump did - to withhold minus the allegations of bribery or whatever you are calling it today.  Like I said, many other nations have had aid withheld.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #24477 on: December 04, 2019, 02:39:30 PM »

So a President can SIMPLY choose to not follow a law.  Got it.  Who told you that?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24478 on: December 04, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »

I will believe what I have heard.  It is not unlawful to do what Trump did - to withhold minus the allegations of bribery or whatever you are calling it today.  Like I said, many other nations have had aid withheld.

Oh bullshit!

Funds are withheld to make a client nation come into compliance, not to do so for political or personal gain.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #24479 on: December 04, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »

FUCK GEORGE ZIMMERMAN

https://t.co/mbamduGXGD?amp=1
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1630 1631 [1632] 1633 1634 ... 4288