Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1746 1747 [1748] 1749 1750 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1985031 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #26205 on: January 11, 2020, 01:03:20 PM »

As Bo noted,  US has been destabilizing in the Middle East, and Iran is a more logical ally for a country like Iraq,  especially with a Shiite PM.  45 has brief spasms where he is okay with getting out,  and dimly recalls his isolationist campaign, then his handlers rush in and administer ECT until he recants.   It's even possible that 45, in fleeting lucid moments,  has noticed we really don't need ME oil anymore,  so that geopolitical carrot is gone.   What's left is Israel, the stick he can be bashed with.
LOL
The USA is the world’s largest producer of oil but almost overlooked by the media is our continued decrease in the use of fossil fuels.

The number of homes in America has increased 45 per cent since the Oil Embargo crisis of the 70’s yet the amount of energy to heat and cool those homes has gone up less than 10 per cent. We use more solar and wind and cars are more fuel efficient. And manufacturing has markedly slipped as a per cent of GDP and replaced by services, including large Data Centers.

The faster the service sector grows the affect  of Mideast turmoil on oil prices diminishes.
That’s not saying instability in that region of the world is going to lessen, but our politicians can rely more on Israel to be the stabilizing force, not us.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #26206 on: January 11, 2020, 01:07:53 PM »

Israel as a stabilizing force. 
Very funny.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #26208 on: January 11, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »

Fuel efficiency improved due largely to gov't regulation.  However, SUV's have proliferated and are classified as trucks so don't have to meet the higher car fuel standards.  Due to the shift to SUV's, I recall reading a few years ago that mileage per gallon hasn't improved much in the past 30 years.  But I'd need to look it up again.

I like in the last post how Red seems to endorse gov't mandated fuel standards (always fought by the auto industry), alternative energy wind and solar.  This can't be acceptable to his superiors . . .

(which is most everyone <rimshot>)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26209 on: January 11, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »

People keep asking what is Trump’s strategy as if there was one besides changing the news cycle from impeachment and undoing anything done by President Blackenstein.

So he should stop doing things altogether while awaiting this process to play out?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #26210 on: January 11, 2020, 02:19:40 PM »

Israel as a stabilizing force. 
Very funny.
Israel is wealthier, larger, and more secure than at any period in its past.
It is self-sufficient on fossil fuels;
It has forged alliances with former Arab enemies in opposing  Iranian hegemony;
And rest of the world is frankly weary of the Palestinian perpetual victimization.
Israel’s nuclear deterrence makes it fearless  against Islamic enemies, and it hardly faces any real threats from Russia or China.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #26211 on: January 11, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »

I like in the last post how Red seems to endorse gov't mandated fuel standards (always fought by the auto industry), alternative energy wind and solar.  This can't be acceptable to his superiors . . .

I didn’t endorse any.
Consumers will buy autos with higher mileage numbers if they are convinced they can save money on gasoline.
They won’t buy cars with ridiculous cafe standards that will have to be smaller and less safe.
And if they don’t buy new cars the industry will need another government bailout.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26212 on: January 11, 2020, 02:41:34 PM »

On my tv last night was shown James Bond.
He's back soon.

"Strong women put him in his place, he drinks zero alcohol beer, and drives an electric hybrid car."
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26213 on: January 11, 2020, 02:52:49 PM »

Not for the first time I give thanks my grandfather left the South for New York...

https://www.wdam.com/2020/01/11/miss-supreme-court-upholds-year-sentence-man-convicted-having-cellphone-jail/

The law is an ass, in many instances.

The South looks nice, 'Dixie' and all that, but the more I see and hear of it from afar the more I dislike it...and I don't even live there.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:56:23 PM by bambu. »
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #26214 on: January 11, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »

MSNBC is becoming ridiculous, blaming everything on DT racism and hate of BHO.

Sadly a reformed modern state does not last long in the ME. Iran reverted back
to the dark ages in a hurry. One clown mangod is all it takes.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #26215 on: January 11, 2020, 03:28:57 PM »

I'm blaming Luee for everything.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26216 on: January 11, 2020, 03:30:52 PM »

I'm blaming Luee for everything.

Falsely.
Very bad idea to 'shoot' the messenger.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26217 on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »

Australia has 321 million acres of native forest.
15 million acres have been burnt in the current bushfires.

Left...about an acre of native forest for every American.

The Snowy Mountains are 182 miles SW of Canberra ACT

A fire burning near the Snowy Mountains, is the size of 500,000 football fields.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:57:50 PM by bambu. »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26218 on: January 11, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »

I didn’t endorse any.
Consumers will buy autos with higher mileage numbers if they are convinced they can save money on gasoline.
They won’t buy cars with ridiculous cafe standards that will have to be smaller and less safe.
And if they don’t buy new cars the industry will need another government bailout.

You can have any color you want... as long as it’s black.

Markets adapt. Cafe standards won’t kill the industry automation will kill the industry’s jobs. Meanwhile the newly branded ‘Energy’ multinationals gonna extract every last petro buck out of the ground regardless how many brown people get killed or displaced by war or climate disaster.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26219 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »

MSNBC is becoming ridiculous, blaming everything on DT racism and hate of BHO.

Sadly a reformed modern state does not last long in the ME. Iran reverted back
to the dark ages in a hurry. One clown mangod is all it takes.

who says irony is dead?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1746 1747 [1748] 1749 1750 ... 4288