The vaccine for the novel coronavirus should be

available to all Americans
- 4 (100%)
available only to Americans who can afford $3000 or whose insurance covers it
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 04, 2020, 12:32:27 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1778 1779 [1780] 1781 1782 ... 2083

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 292682 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
“To be led by a fool is to be lead by the opportunists who control the fool." - Octavia Butler

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #26686 on: January 24, 2020, 12:48:16 AM »

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/at-davos-trump-complains-that-sean-hannity-hasn-t-received-the-pulitzer-prize-hznpqdbvl0iWi15OKtMzSg?fbclid=IwAR2AmMa6Ou8CAlAIWDkjg3ZDZcQB9Y-kcu7Y1aZw5aKc6yqFJtGgYMaNV-k

"But others, such as Hannity and Limbaugh, “got it right,” Trump said, but “they didn’t get Pulitzer Prizes.”

For literature? Music criticism? Journalism? Oh, the Pultizer Prize for Radio Hosts. Got it!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
Some things to chew on . . .
« Reply #26687 on: January 24, 2020, 03:16:06 AM »

Chinese are very practical.  They eat everything.  They have a saying that you can eat anything with it's back to the sun.  Around 15 years ago there was a big trend in China to eat unusual wild animals, especially in southern China.  As a vegetarian I don't see much difference between eating a chicken and a bat, or between eating dog meat and cow meat.  you're just killing, cooking and ingesting dead animal parts.  Yuck to all of that.  It's disgusting, and you're a killer to boot.  Meat is murder after all, mon ami.

But one problem with eating wild animals is then you have people in contact with the blood of those animals and transmission of wild diseases is possible.  Most domestic animals are fed lots of antibiotics to keep them from getting sick and infecting other animals.  Also, since wild animals aren't bred in numbers there's a chance of pushing those animals towards extinction.  The gov't banned the sale of pangolins and other exotic wild critters, but the practice has continued here and there.

Last year and still ongoing there's a pig disease which has decimated Chinese pig stocks.  Unfortunately for the pigs it's just another way to die.  People unnecessarily treat animals badly and there's a slow unfolding interminable on-going animal holocaust in progress.  Maybe the virus is a little bit of animal revenge.  Actually it's been said that this is The Age of Bacteria and we're just fairly large docile good-breeding hosts.
Lives are at stake and Trump keeps fucking up.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26688 on: January 24, 2020, 03:42:43 AM »

With a side hustle as a vehicle for various grains. The gig economy nowadays...

This guy asks some good questions,

http://thebulwark.com/does-this-impeachment-trial-matter/

“The President shouldn’t be worse than the disease.”

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26689 on: January 24, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »

The morbid imposter should be removed simply for his gross incompetence in all matters important to this nation.

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/23/hhs-forgets-to-renew-trumps-opioid-emergency-declaration-103298

barton

• View Profile
« Reply #26690 on: January 24, 2020, 09:56:52 AM »

RIP Jim Lehrer.   Outstanding journalist.   

Both of us lived in Wichita as children,  moved away as we entered middle school.  Moving away from Wichita is a fine start to any life!

I have a dear friend who was an employee of the ACLU DC chapter for years. She moved back to Wichita a few years back to care for her father... she’s become quite the conservative.

It happens.   Some people feel a need to move towards the center, believing it's the only way to really be a part of their community.   Or they become closeted and never talk politics with anyone.   Wichita does have some liberals and lefties,  but they tend to get compartmentalized into a few social circles.   Or that's how it used to be.   
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

barton

• View Profile
Re: Some things to chew on . . .
« Reply #26691 on: January 24, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

But one problem with eating wild animals is then you have people in contact with the blood of those animals and transmission of wild diseases is possible....

Prion based diseases might be the most serious threat in the long run.   I know there is a rural southern US custom of eating squirrels,  whose neural tissue can contain the prions that cause Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease.  Like you, I prefer to leave the creatures alone.   I joined a Buddhist group when I was 25 and,  though I parted from them a couple years later, that aspect stayed with me.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:14:12 AM by barton »
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes. "

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
"...more serious than I thought." ~Angus King
« Reply #26692 on: January 24, 2020, 01:18:33 PM »

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/01/24/politics/daily-brief/note-passing-and-more-serious-than-i-thought-maines-senators-on-day-3-of-trump-trial/

“The argument seems to have shifted [from] ‘nothing really happened here,’ to ‘yes, something untoward happened, but the election is in eight months, let’s just let the people decide,’” King said, recounting conversations with Republican colleagues.

King said he came around to the belief that the case against Trump is “more serious than I thought,” though he wants to hear the president’s case before deciding how to vote on removal.

Senator King, there are (at least) three reasons to not wait the eight months, to "let the people decide."

The first one is simple: This is the Senate's job to do!

The second: Do you have any reason to believe that this kind of behavior or the sorts described in the Mueller Report will cease during these remaining 8 months?!

The third one is that the "let the people decide" argument is what McConnell used to block the Marland nomination process, before later (post Trump's inauguration) admitting that he would do no such thing in the final year of a Trump presidency.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #26693 on: January 24, 2020, 03:35:12 PM »

Last I heard,  King caucuses with crats, and so is "independent" the way Bernie is.   I would have thought he was already pretty aware of Trump's breaches of the public trust and duties of office.   Maine should kick his wishy-washy ass out of the Senate if he really can't vote to remove.   

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #26694 on: January 24, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »

Luee, there’s a big Russian crater where your mind used to be. I think this is evidence enough that the invasion is already well underway.

It’s telling that Kiid sees the states with the most corrupt election practices as trump’s firewall.

A typical elitist argument, ends with an improbable worst case scenerio having to do with a cataclysmic event. "The sky is falling". Actually the Russians stood up to ISIS and thwarted the Ukrainian fascists.

---Neo-Nazis and the Far Right Are On the March in Ukraine
Five years after the Maidan uprising, anti-Semitism and fascist-inflected ultranationalism are rampant.---

https://www.thenation.com/article/neo-nazis-far-right-ukraine/
Lets make America grape again!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: "...more serious than I thought." ~Angus King
« Reply #26695 on: January 24, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »

The first one is simple: This is the Senate's job to do!
That’s what it is doing.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26696 on: January 24, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »

McConnell’s “let the people decide” stance didn’t go so far as to stand behind US intelligence agencies’ pre-2016 election assessment that Russia was running ops to elect the guy with the development proposal he signed in explicit partnership with a sanctioned Russian state bank.

Letting the people decide meant doing everything in his power to make sure most voters didn’t know that.

Anytime the president’s councils cite “evidence” in the wacky mockery of a defense they’re about to put up or in a hallway gaggle, a patriotic angel pounds a nail into the coffin of the trump administration.

House managers are giving a captivating presentation of a rock solid case.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26697 on: January 24, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »

Last I heard,  King caucuses with crats, and so is "independent" the way Bernie is.   I would have thought he was already pretty aware of Trump's breaches of the public trust and duties of office.   Maine should kick his wishy-washy ass out of the Senate if he really can't vote to remove.

I was surprised by his position and hope that he shifts.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26698 on: January 24, 2020, 06:46:00 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 1778 1779 [1780] 1781 1782 ... 2083