Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604785 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2685 on: September 17, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »

Because they’ll be looking into trump next. Whoops. Too late.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: September 17, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »

When the Senate GOP forces trump to pull Kavanaugh’s nomination, they next will want a crack at confirming one of the blandest and cleanest from the federalist’s list during the lame duck session. To not lose too much of that scarce time fending off accusations they are recklessly rushing yet another appointment process and possibly be forced into another withdrawal, they will have to announce this nominee prior to the election, perhaps in McConnell’s October session. If this fails to happen, the seat can be held open through political pressure (a lot of GOP Senators are up in 2020) until the next Congress is seated.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #2687 on: September 17, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »

https://apnews.com/916bbe07dab744edac460a50d5cad7f8/Long-held-as-oldest-in-US,-New-Jersey-nuclear-plant-closes

Sierra Club happy,  while some carbon-conscious greenies have mixed feelings.  Its output will be replaced by burning NG.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: September 17, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/09/17/every-man-should-be-worried-at-least-im-worried/?utm_term=.c164501b7781

Every Man Should be Worried. At Least, I'm Worried

For Bambi, on the deep-seated fears of men.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: September 17, 2018, 10:28:54 PM »

More shit-bird tactics from the unpopular scumbag party.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b9fb69ce4b046313fbd65d3

It’s just gonna hurt worse when they still lose anyway.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: September 17, 2018, 10:57:25 PM »

I've got a Macro set for "no" in response to whenever Luee and Bambu post.  It saves time and thought.

lol

Here's something for you to think about;

I just walked past my tv to see [in a movie] a White man being hanged in front of a gallery of people on a stage, in an Arab country.
Simple solution...well, you know.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: September 17, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »

I've got a Macro set for "no" in response to whenever Luee and Bambu post.  It saves time and thought.

lol

Here's something for you to think about;

I just walked past my tv to see [in a movie] a White man being hanged in front of a gallery of people on a stage, in an Arab country.
Simple solution...well, you know.

IN A MOVIE.

I assure you, I have seen more Arabs killed by white men in movies than you will ever see the reverse, unless you are highly selective.

But whether what you see or what I see, using MOVIES to defend your  political "opinions" is braindead, Bambi.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: September 18, 2018, 12:33:07 AM »

https://apnews.com/916bbe07dab744edac460a50d5cad7f8/Long-held-as-oldest-in-US,-New-Jersey-nuclear-plant-closes

Sierra Club happy,  while some carbon-conscious greenies have mixed feelings.  Its output will be replaced by burning NG.

The goal is to replace its output with offshore wind.
But that process is now just getting underway as Christie has finally been swept out of office.

The Oyster Creek nuke plant was right in my grandparents town down the shore.  I had a number of elderly relatives living down there when I was a kid.  Used to spend time there in Summers.

The plant had corrosion and leaking issues and was ancient.
In the mid- to late 70's they were getting set to build a 2nd nuke plant right nearby, but then 3 Mile Island happened and nuke building stopped.

Oyster Creek was built so that a small branch of a local river was diverted into the plant for cooling purposes and then flowed out to the sea (the Barnegat Bay). 

One of the craziest things is that lots of people would fish right where the nuke plant water would return to the sea.  They'd gather on the small bridge that let the water pass under the road. The fish were attracted by the warm water and the abundance of algae, sea plants and smaller sea life that thrived in the warmed water.

So whenever we went to the nearby diner, we'd pass by and there'd be the nuke plant looming in the background, a stream flowing out, and all these people fishing in the nuke-warmed waters.  It was always crowded. 

Even in my single-digits, I knew this was abnormal.  Since this went on for decades, I sure hope there is a good photo somewhere of folks fishing with the Oyster Creek Nuke Plant right behind them.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: September 18, 2018, 12:38:21 AM »

Here's an article on the very NJ phenomena:
https://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2016/03/why_a_nuclear_power_plant_is_new_jerseys_hottest_f.html

But these folks are fishing form the nearby banks around the discharge area.  The people on the road overpass were even closer to the nuke plant and were the ones I'd always see.
(I didn't realize there were a whole slew of fishermen down below jockeying for position as well).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: September 18, 2018, 12:46:03 AM »

The NRC:
"We require that the decommissioning process for a nuclear power plant must be completed within 60 years," he said.

That means Exelon has until 2078 to fully decommission the plant.

Very reassuring ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: September 18, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »

Not quite sure what I am looking for, but these folks are fishing with a nuke plant behind them.

This captures the story, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJnt2THyA6o

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: September 18, 2018, 01:56:01 AM »

Kiid -

I had forgotten this, from February:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/us/fema-contract-puerto-rico.html

FEMA Contract Called for 30 Million Meals for Puerto Ricans. 50,000 Were Delivered.

The mission for the Federal Emergency Management Agency was clear: Hurricane Maria had torn through Puerto Rico, and hungry people needed food. Thirty million meals needed to be delivered as soon as possible.

For this huge task, FEMA tapped Tiffany Brown, an Atlanta entrepreneur with no experience in large-scale disaster relief and at least five canceled government contracts in her past. FEMA awarded her $156 million for the job, and Ms. Brown, who is the sole owner and employee of her company, Tribute Contracting LLC, set out to find some help.

Ms. Brown, who is adept at navigating the federal contracting system, hired a wedding caterer in Atlanta with a staff of 11 to freeze-dry wild mushrooms and rice, chicken and rice, and vegetable soup. She found a nonprofit in Texas that had shipped food aid overseas and domestically, including to a Houston food bank after Hurricane Harvey.

By the time 18.5 million meals were due, Tribute had delivered only 50,000. And FEMA inspectors discovered a problem: The food had been packaged separately from the pouches used to heat them. FEMA’s solicitation required “self-heating meals.”

“Do not ship another meal. Your contract is terminated,” Carolyn Ward, the FEMA contracting officer who handled Tribute’s agreement, wrote to Ms. Brown in an email dated Oct. 19 that Ms. Brown provided to The New York Times. “This is a logistical nightmare.”

This is just one of many inept, inappropriate FEMA contracts.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: September 18, 2018, 02:19:25 AM »

The purpose of any government contract awarded by a republican is to enrich the crony contractor and also to enrich by kickbacks the republican in authority who awarded it, not to deliver any particular good or service.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: September 18, 2018, 05:03:50 AM »

Not quite sure what I am looking for, but these folks are fishing with a nuke plant behind them.

What I'm talking about is the nuke plant set back from the road a bit and people fishing right at the edge of their property.
Like it would be looming right behind them, maybe 100m set back.  Not off in the distance like that.  I'm surprised I can't turn anything up on google search.  I'm sure I saw a pic of people fishing there just a year or two back when they announced the closing was imminent.

Though apparently people would even occasionally fish on the nuke plant grounds:
Local fisherman David Morra said people often sneak into the area to go fishing.

"All you have to do is go under the bridge and walk through with waders," Morra said.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:24:02 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 4288