Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1596592 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27225 on: February 05, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »

45 gave Rush Limbaugh the Presidential Medal of Freedom.  Perhaps the rallying cry of Democrats, at those sorts of actions, should shift from shrugging and saying hey it's just another Tuesday, to gentle reminders of what sanity looks like and how such actions do not reflect it. 

My own response was, on hearing that news, was "time to return to the coma dream hypothesis, regarding my waking life."

Still undecided.

barton

« Reply #27226 on: February 05, 2020, 01:00:36 PM »

Susan Collins is carefully considering getting a candy bar for an afternoon snack today.  She has gone on record to say that she has studied the implications for her future health, blood sugar levels, pancreatic function, and risk of onset of Type II diabetes, as well as balancing that with the short-term stimulus of theobromine (the ingredient of chocolate that makes you happy) and rush of endorphins.  Various media watchdogs and pundits are speculating that she will drop money into the machine around 3 pm, pull the lever, and then leave the candy bar sitting there so that other people may decide its ultimate fate. 

Mitt Romney, once again championing moderation and caution, plans on eating an oatmeal raisin cookie, and nurtures hopes that both parties will eventually rally around it, opening up a civil discourse on future snacking.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27227 on: February 05, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »

Trump to tout record homelessness brought on by travel bans, ICE raids, tax scams and trade wars. He’ll crow about how he has succeeded in hollowing out and sickening this nation. He’ll waddle aimlessly on the backs of spineless republican Senators. He will fart and fall asleep. Kiid will call it a great speech. Red will want the full text in its original German.

This prediction has turned out to be accurate in every respect.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #27228 on: February 05, 2020, 02:07:03 PM »

Biden is closer to Klobuchar and 5th place than he is to Warren in 3rd.

But Warren is closer to Klobuchar than she is to Sanders.

Still, at least thus far, only three people look to get any national delegates out of this. And for all that Buttigieg is still behind in raw vote. (Sounds familiar, somehow...) And in that regard, Warren is substantially closer to 1st and 2nd in votes than Biden is to her, let alone Klobuchar.

But it's still only 71+% of the vote.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27229 on: February 05, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »

Saw.a clip of Susan Collins from the morning, talking about how she believes being impeached has taught Trump a lesson. Which indeed it has, though not a positive one. Collins, though, remains concerned and if Trump repeats this behavior she will consider expressing that concern in a strongly worded letter but in the end choose not to.

Bingo!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27230 on: February 05, 2020, 02:25:58 PM »

Observations.

Trump approval rate today is the highest of his term.

Senate will vote to acquit Trump on Impeachment Charges.

Nancy Pelosi boasts “ Trump will be impeached FOREVER!

I think the dems may need a different rallying cry.

“He’s the leader of my party... He’s the president of the United States. I voted with him 80 percent of the time. I agree with his economic policies and a lot of other policies. And yet he did something which was grievously wrong. And to say, well, you know, because I’m on his team and I agree with him most of the time, that I should then assent to a political motive, would be a real stain on our constitutional democracy.”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27231 on: February 05, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »

Donald Trump's idea of a Presidential Medal of Freedom winner:

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27232 on: February 05, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/romney-impeach-trump/606127/?fbclid=IwAR33-i9AXzD8foDhsZN687ljJBgzQ5x0k2R4WrPIrzLlyvvRf49HijsD_D0

In the end, the evidence was inescapable. “The president did in fact pressure a foreign government to corrupt our election process,” Romney said. “And really, corrupting an election process in a democratic republic is about as abusive and egregious an act against the Constitution—and one's oath—that I can imagine. It's what autocrats do.”

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27233 on: February 05, 2020, 04:41:56 PM »

Bipartisan vote to convict and remove. Partisan vote to excuse and condone. The gerrymandered sociopaths carry the day and set themselves up for big losses in November.

Romney proves he’s worth more than trump in so many ways. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #27234 on: February 05, 2020, 05:00:09 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/2/5/21125118/mitt-romney-impeachment-vote-history

Something besides having billions of wasted dollars of ineffective border fence blown over in the wind to remember trump for.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27235 on: February 05, 2020, 05:01:50 PM »

A Colossal mistake.
Again. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27236 on: February 05, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »

A Colossal mistake.
Again.
Yes, the Republican party not.voting to remove was a Colossal mistake they will regret for.decades. Mitch McConnell has broken the Senate for years to come.

Glad you have seen the light.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27237 on: February 05, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »

A Colossal mistake.
Again.
Yes, the Republican party not.voting to remove was a Colossal mistake they will regret for.decades. Mitch McConnell has broken the Senate for years to come.

dems are now 0 fer two.
If they persist on another windmill to tilt at I predict they join the Whigs.
Ask James Carville
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:54:17 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #27238 on: February 05, 2020, 05:52:10 PM »

Sanctuary cities?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #27239 on: February 05, 2020, 06:15:20 PM »

A Colossal mistake.
Again.

Without support from corporate billionaires,  and all the propaganda money can buy, the GOP would cease to exist in a single decade.   Neoliberalism would become the quaint and wacky cult it deserves to be.   Riding bikes and taking trains  would become as patriotic as Victory Gardens were in ww2.

Kudos,  though, to Mitt for finally growing some vertebrae. 
Pages: 1 ... 1814 1815 [1816] 1817 1818 ... 4288