Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607447 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27870 on: February 23, 2020, 09:39:52 AM »

barton

Re: Campaign Trail
« Reply #27871 on: February 23, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »

'Promises kept’ mantra doesn’t always match Trump’s reality

https://apnews.com/2dd1c6a4413f882e90a1aae1e9e3cc56

If a conservative reader actually reads these fact checks,  and concedes the mismatch,  I may require a defibrillator. 

oilcan

« Reply #27872 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:05 PM »

I like the Trump approach; stiffen up the borders and send them all back. Sorry not enough affordable housing or free lunches for citizens.

I sorta picture that guard in Cool Hand Luke,  when I read your posts,  the one who's telling Luke "boy,  you better get that dirt out of Boss Kean's ditch! " 

https://youtu.be/oudNoKfNUfs

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27873 on: February 23, 2020, 04:11:26 PM »

ACLU

Tony –

It's Friday. And we have not one, not two, but three meaningful victories to share with you from this week. Each is a result of years of work from lawyers, organizers, policy experts, our partners, and civil rights activists like you.

Customs and Border Protection changed its policy to require consent to board buses like Greyhound. After a multi-year campaign to stop the harmful practice of allowing CBP raids on Greyhound buses, the largest federal law enforcement agency in the nation caved. Greyhound has a responsibility to make it clear that it does not consent to CBP boarding its buses. It has the power to stop the racial profiling, harassment, and wrongful detention of its passengers. It must use it.

A court ruled against Florida's wealth-based hurdles to voting. After we mobilized to restore voting rights to people in Florida with a past conviction, the state enacted a law requiring payment before restoring this right. This wealth-based hurdle to voting significantly curtailed the reach of Amendment 4, which would have restored voting rights to 1.4 million Floridians. We challenged the law, and won – the Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with the district court that a person's right to vote cannot be contingent upon their ability to pay.

A private equity firm behind Aladdin bail bonds, the largest bail bond company in the country, will divest from for-profit bail. Endeavour Capital had been one of the biggest proponents of for-profit bail since 2012, funding much of the opposition to bail reform and pushing to expand for-profit bail around the country. We teamed up with Color Of Change to take on Endeavor, targeting their major investors and working with lawmakers to elevate scrutiny of for-profit bail. Endeavor had enough of us and, last weekend, finally decided to throw in the towel and sell off its share in Aladdin.

Good news is always worth celebrating, and a time to give credit where credit is due. Thanks for all you do to make wins like these possible – whether you've signed a petition, called your legislator, donated, or joined us out in the streets. We're lucky to have you with us

Happy Friday!

The ACLU Team

------------------------

It is awesome that the ACLU helped to stop the boarding of Greyhound buses by ICE, and Border Patrol, etc, I have seen them do it on my way to San Diego on Greyhound, they used to board the buses and look for Spanish speaking Brown people, it was very racist, and it went against all that we stand for as Americans, I am glad that Greyhound buses will now be safe for everyone.

The ACLU is doing a lot of great work.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27874 on: February 23, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »

I agree with Kid. Screw polling. I believe there are a lot of Trump voters who aren't particularly willing to let people know they're Trump voters.

Why would they?
They'd be vilified by the Left from daylight til dark, all night, and from coast to coast, border to border, wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:06:59 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #27875 on: February 23, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »

No. They're embarrased to support a person like Trump. Not everybody has Kid's courage.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27876 on: February 23, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »

More like smart.
Smarter than the average bear.

Very bad idea in general letting people know for whom one votes.
Employers, family, friends, work colleagues, customers.

IMAGINE wearing a MAGA hat in CA or NY!

American voters who elected Trump president knew what he was like when they voted...it was all in plain sight.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:13:21 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #27877 on: February 23, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »

I would agree that a Trump is likely smarter than the average bear.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:49:10 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #27878 on: February 23, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »

I would agree that a Trump is likely smarter thanbthecaverage bear.

At last year's downunder federal election the polls showed Left/Far Left Labor Party [and its leader Bill Shorten] was going to win in a landslide.

Like HRC, Bill basically had the removalist truck ready to shift him into the 'White House'.
Trouble was, the "Quiet Australians" voted differently from what the polls expected.
The quiet ones, who coolly, calmly, rationally consider their verdict, ...what's best for them, and their families.....tell no one how they vote.

Labor; "Tax the rich pensioners" [no pensioners are rich, there is an assets test] "who have shares" [in the stock market].

Labor; "Coal is evil, say NO to 'Adani'" [Indian coal mine].

Labor; "All cars electric by 2030"

The coal mining families in Qld electorates were never going to vote themselves out of jobs.
The pensioners and their relatives were never going to vote for an extra tax on them.
People could see the electric cars policy was pie in the sky...19 million cars, not including big trucks.

Labor spokesman believed in the policies and basically told voters that's what they'd be having, how things were going to be.
Absolutely sure of the polls and victory, he said: "If you don't like our policies then don't vote for us".
So the people didn't.
Go woke, go broke.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27879 on: February 23, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »

No. They're embarrased to support a person like Trump. Not everybody has Kid's courage.
I think pollsters are aware of the Bradley Effect and account for it. National polls had Clinton's margin of plurality in 2016 mostly right.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27880 on: February 23, 2020, 06:12:01 PM »

Who said anything about polling? Did you see his Vegas rally?

sure - it was on rallys.org

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27881 on: February 23, 2020, 06:19:11 PM »

IMAGINE wearing a MAGA hat in CA or NY!

See Curb Your Enthuusiasm Season 10 Episode 1

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #27882 on: February 23, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »

I think pollsters are aware of the Bradley Effect and account for it. National polls had Clinton's margin of plurality in 2016 mostly right.

Quinnipiac was off by 5 points

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27883 on: February 23, 2020, 07:09:35 PM »

Which means National polls in a Presidential election are meaningless.
At any time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:50:41 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27884 on: February 23, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »

Red has high hopes for the low information influence peddler being re-elected, despite his abysmal performance. I hope to see the end of trump who is much less president than puppet-clown.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1857 1858 [1859] 1860 1861 ... 4288