Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944] 1945 1946 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1606684 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29145 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:08 AM »

"We'll see what happens, but they think August, could be July, could be longer than that.”

Another tell...
When Trump says, “We’ll see what happens” it means “I have no fucking clue.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29146 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:15 AM »

Almost all countries only took serious measures after the virus had infected significant numbers and became more difficult to control. 

The only real exceptions I know are Hong Kong and Taiwan, which knew they were next due to their extensive links with mainland China.  Hong Kong closed the border with China, which riled Beijing, and then only allowed limited crossings as necessary.  For various reasons, there are many families with one or both parents in either HK/PRC and the children on the other side. 

Hong Kong with 155 reported cases; 84 cured, and just 4 deaths.
HK a small territory but very densely populated. 
I'd call that a big success.  Chile and Estonia have had more infections than HK.

Taiwan 67/ 20 / 1 death (Luxembourg has more -- 77)

Can learn lessons form what they did.

Japan got a pretty good jump on things since they had the death ship floating off their coast for a while before they got really hit.  Which forced them to prepare.

I'm real surprised countries didn't say, Whoa China is getting hit hard, such and such measures seem very effective, and go to masks, social distancing, shutdowns and such BEFORE the virus swept in.
Everyone was in reactive mode and waited until the virus was spreading before taking measures.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29147 on: March 17, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »

You'd think by now it was obvious that Trump was a huckster and conman and really has no idea what he's doing.  And this incompetence actually has dangerous consequences and will result in lives lost.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29148 on: March 17, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »

Almost all countries only took serious measures after the virus had infected significant numbers and became more difficult to control. 

The only real exceptions I know are Hong Kong and Taiwan, which knew they were next due to their extensive links with mainland China.  Hong Kong closed the border with China, which riled Beijing, and then only allowed limited crossings as necessary.  For various reasons, there are many families with one or both parents in either HK/PRC and the children on the other side. 

Hong Kong with 155 reported cases; 84 cured, and just 4 deaths.
HK a small territory but very densely populated. 
I'd call that a big success.  Chile and Estonia have had more infections than HK.

Taiwan 67/ 20 / 1 death (Luxembourg has more -- 77)

Can learn lessons form what they did.

Japan got a pretty good jump on things since they had the death ship floating off their coast for a while before they got really hit.  Which forced them to prepare.

I'm real surprised countries didn't say, Whoa China is getting hit hard, such and such measures seem very effective, and go to masks, social distancing, shutdowns and such BEFORE the virus swept in.
Everyone was in reactive mode and waited until the virus was spreading before taking measures.

In the USA leadership said it was a “Democratic hoax” not long ago...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29149 on: March 17, 2020, 08:07:10 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29150 on: March 17, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29151 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »

Reading an article on the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 and in the pics, everyone is wearing face masks.

And everyone took aspirin in large doses.  Led to quite a few deaths.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29152 on: March 17, 2020, 09:49:19 AM »

What I read was that some folks were told not to take aspirin, which was a mistake.

The aspirin overdose theory is relatively new (2009) and interesting, but death rates in countries that didn't have/use aspirin were roughly equivalent.  So it remains a provocative theory.  Certainly could have led to some complications and deaths, but on what scale ...?

In any case, modern medicine and pharmaceuticals weren't very advanced, but the notion of quarantining and protecting yourself via face masks was well-understood.  Until 2020.

The practice of ship quarantines was practiced dating back to at least the 14th C in Venice, as sailors might come back with far-flung diseases and a shipload of sick men.  The 40 day waiting period is where the word quarantine originates.   The Maltese Knights Hospitallers standardized the quarantine as they tended to Crusaders, before becoming a marauding, plundering bunch themselves.

Not sure when masks became prevalent, i assume sometime after Pasteur.  But was implemented in 1918 (but not much in 2020 for dumb unaccountable reasons)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:42:05 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29153 on: March 17, 2020, 10:39:38 AM »

You are still insisting you are right - your stubbornness being well known here

Rock on.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29154 on: March 17, 2020, 10:46:12 AM »

Stop! It isn’t fair!

https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article241231726.html

I would say "unbelievable," but it is far too believable and pretty much standard practice for the whining, lying Mitch McConnell.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #29155 on: March 17, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »

About face masks?

I don't know, people may wear them incorrectly, or rub their face more or some other nonsense you were pushing ...

As far as I can tell, only the USofA, where a stubborn minority doubt climate change and deny evolution, are the benefits of face masks disputed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:56:05 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29156 on: March 17, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »

"We'll see what happens, but they think August, could be July, could be longer than that.”

Another tell...
When Trump's says, “We’ll see what happens” lips move it means “I have no fucking clue.”
fify
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29157 on: March 17, 2020, 11:01:31 AM »

About face masks?

I don't know, people may wear them incorrectly, or rub their face more or some other nonsense you were pushing ...

As far as I can tell, only the USofA, where a stubborn minority doubt climate change and deny evolution, are the benefits of face masks disputed.

just about universally disputed

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29158 on: March 17, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »

New worldwide numbers

79,737 people have recovered from the virus

7,167 have died

96,521 cases are pending

barton

« Reply #29159 on: March 17, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »

When I studied immunology in college,  we learned that the Spanish Flu was so lethal to young people because it unleashed a cytokine storm in the lungs.   Basically, that's when a healthy immune system overreacts to a pathogen and overproduces white cells in one tissue.   The lining of the lungs would fill up with white cells,  blocking normal circulation,  then lungs would fill with fluid leading to rapid death.   IOW,  the flu would turn a young healthy immune system against itself.   Older people were spared precisely because they couldn't unleash a cytokine storm.   That's one theory, anyway.   

Face masks are some help.   I worked in healthcare for a few years, and the mechanisms of how a mask will reduce inhalation (and exhalation) of virus laden aerosol droplets are well understood.  You may not need them if you maintain a social distance from everyone of more than ten feet, but if you happen to get within range of a cough or sneeze (or emit one!)  you are better off with a mask.   

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:09:55 AM by barton »
Pages: 1 ... 1942 1943 [1944] 1945 1946 ... 4288