Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1944 1945 [1946] 1947 1948 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608086 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29175 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »

Senate to pass House bill as is - send it to Trump in a key show of bipartisanship.  Then they will submit another bill this week for larger coverage aimed at the virus and reimbursements

The press is in shock.

Not quite, though Nacy did fend off most of the worst of the usual GOP insane vampire hackery we’ve come to know and hate from the party of donald trump and David duke.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e70e52ec5b6eab7793d0ceb

If that’s the case why did the Senate recess for the weekend and Louie Gohmert... oh, fuck it.

Motherfucking Republicans looking for accolades for doing their fucking jobs.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #29176 on: March 17, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »

Mr Rogers said that when something horrible is happening, look for the helpers, and that will make you feel better.

With this emergency we have people who are hoarding, and people who are greedy, and we have people who are getting sick, and we have the fear of being locked down with no food, the whole situation sucks, but then we have the helpers.

The helpers are volunteering at the food banks, and at the schools passing out free lunches to the students, and the helpers are keeping the pharmacies open, the helpers are the stores that are opening an hour early to let the senior citizens shop, the helpers are the truckers who are keeping the food coming, the helpers are the cops who are still on patrol to serve and protect, all of the people who are helping other people during this crisis have my respect. And as we look at all of the people out there helping others, it gives us hope for humanity.

Keep an eye on the helpers.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #29177 on: March 17, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »

SARS Cov-2 is similar to the flu in symptoms, transmission, etc.
The analogy mostly works well, except where specific virology differs.

It doesn't seem to matter if I state my credentials here,  so I will refrain from doing so in the future.   You are correct,  coronaviruses and influenza viruses are quite similar,  and much hinges on matters of degree.   A mild CV happens to be a rhinovirus called "the common cold. "  All CVs are respiratory,  but differ in their level of penetration.  Get to the nose,  sinuses,  and throat,  you're called a rhinovirus.  Head down to the lungs and pleural sac, and you're a SARS type CV,  and much more wicked.   Covid-19 is of the wicked SARS variety.   

Influenza actually causes pneumonia indirectly - it weakens your immune system,  which then may cause the lungs to fall prey to a bacterial (not viral) secondary infection and that's what finishes off grandpa,  sometimes with a pleural effusion to boot.   That's what killed so many who got Spanish flu: a secondary infection,  followed by a cytokine storm in the pleural sac and alveolar membrane.  I explained that poorly in my earlier post.   

This different method of attack is what differentiates flu and CV.   In terms of transmission, the present CV happens to have a long incubation period which increases it's infectiousness.  Yes,  masks don't work against dry cough ejecta,  because there are free-floating nanosized particles --- BUT you,  Bo, are correct that they do somewhat mitigate  movement of aerosols that happen to contain nanosized particles.   If used and worn and cleaned properly,  they have value in close quarters, and reduce nose touching.   So,  to some extent,  both schools of thought have some valid points.  Cheers.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #29178 on: March 17, 2020, 05:07:33 PM »

Really wanted to stay in NY area but place is unlivable due to restrictions. Moving back to seasonal shack in Tampa. No sbucks, no McD, etc. no schools, no libraries, no senior facilities. Get those hazmats out.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29179 on: March 17, 2020, 05:20:45 PM »

SARS Cov-2 is similar to the flu in symptoms, transmission, etc.
The analogy mostly works well, except where specific virology differs.

It doesn't seem to matter if I state my credentials here,  so I will refrain from doing so in the future.   You are correct,  coronaviruses and influenza viruses are quite similar,  and much hinges on matters of degree.   A mild CV happens to be a rhinovirus called "the common cold. "  All CVs are respiratory,  but differ in their level of penetration.  Get to the nose,  sinuses,  and throat,  you're called a rhinovirus.  Head down to the lungs and pleural sac, and you're a SARS type CV,  and much more wicked.   Covid-19 is of the wicked SARS variety.   

Influenza actually causes pneumonia indirectly - it weakens your immune system,  which then may cause the lungs to fall prey to a bacterial (not viral) secondary infection and that's what finishes off grandpa,  sometimes with a pleural effusion to boot.   That's what killed so many who got Spanish flu: a secondary infection,  followed by a cytokine storm in the pleural sac and alveolar membrane.  I explained that poorly in my earlier post.   

This different method of attack is what differentiates flu and CV.   In terms of transmission, the present CV happens to have a long incubation period which increases it's infectiousness.  Yes,  masks don't work against dry cough ejecta,  because there are free-floating nanosized particles --- BUT you,  Bo, are correct that they do somewhat mitigate  movement of aerosols that happen to contain nanosized particles.   If used and worn and cleaned properly,  they have value in close quarters, and reduce nose touching.   So,  to some extent,  both schools of thought have some valid points.  Cheers.

Wear ‘em if you got ‘em?

I have to hit a Dr. appointment tomorrow but after that me and the mrs are tackling a thousand boxes of paper.

Somewhere we have the whole trial transcript of Ronald Defeo and about a twenty hours of interview notes from he and his family’s housekeeper.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #29180 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »

Really wanted to stay in NY area but place is unlivable due to restrictions. Moving back to seasonal shack in Tampa. No sbucks, no McD, etc. no schools, no libraries, no senior facilities. Get those hazmats out.

Any tv, wi-fi, mobile phone reception?
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #29181 on: March 17, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »

Now they're pushing disabled people out of the way when they're reaching for the last roll of toilet paper...

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/shopper-pushes-disabled-perth-woman-to-get-last-toilet-roll/ar-BB11hMoU?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Shopper pushes disabled Perth woman to get last toilet roll

#####

Times sure have changed since "We shall fight them on the beaches".

When my first boss in the workforce [bank manager] said to me, on my first day;

"Look after yourself first in this world, son...because nobody else will"...…..don't think he meant shoving disabled women out of the way in supermarkets.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 06:09:51 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29182 on: March 17, 2020, 06:41:57 PM »

I know you all have this but just in case:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/aboutlawsregulationsquarantineisolation.html

Mayor deBlasio,who in contrast to Gov Cuomo has gone to great length to make it appear his job is tougher than everyone else, says NYC needs to be ready to shelter in place.

President Trump says no decision on national quarantine has been arrived at just yet.

Ward has let him know, in no uncertain terms, that the Constitution won't allow Trump to declare one and the president is considering his options.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29183 on: March 17, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »

If the night continues like this for Sanders, his remaining excuses for staying in the race will have dwindled even further.

Right now, FL is looking like Mississippi, Missouri, and Michigan - not a Sanders county win in the entire state. And a nearly 3 to 1 ratio for Biden in his victory.

Obviously, Illinois and Arizona have not closed yet and for that matter there were still people voting in FL as the official closing time came and went. But... there is little reason to expect substantial differences. Arizona might be closer, but a 60-40 Biden win doesn't really help Sanders.

And the reason is not the turnout. It is not electability.

It is the belief that Biden will be better in this crisis.

And nothing Bernie said in that last debate even came close to touching on that issue in a way that helped.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29184 on: March 17, 2020, 07:40:46 PM »

Interesting how the nice ladies handing out the free lunches today in CT weren't wearing any masks.

Cannot believe it, actually.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29185 on: March 17, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »

Re:  Biden and the crisis

Dang - it sure does get dicey if reins are being passed and we are still in the middle of this mess

Frankly I feel we'll be well out of it by then, but who knows?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:49:06 PM by kiidcarter8 »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #29186 on: March 17, 2020, 07:52:40 PM »

Some people are worried about looting, and they are talking about shooting people, it is all bullshit. We need to come together.

No one is going to loot here in Anaheim, nor in Lancaster. And we are not going to run out of food, we will be fine. I was just at the store, and they still had a lot of food, and they are restocking.

And in Italy they are delivering boxes of food to people's doors, so everyone has food. Italy is on total lock-down and no one is looting. Italy is setting a good example for people who find themselves in that situation. Hopefully they do not lock us down like they have had to do in Italy.

We need brotherhood, not survival of the fittest.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29187 on: March 17, 2020, 08:02:56 PM »

Dang - it sure does get dicey if reins are being passed and we are still in the middle of this mess

I understand that Herbert Hoover felt the same way, Kid.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29188 on: March 17, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »

I understand that Herbert Hoover felt the same way, Kid.

It stays dicey until the reins are passed. America understands trump needs his diaper changed and is failing to live up to the basic demands of a presidency.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29189 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:52 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html?fbclid=IwAR37ePWYnCsYaxKkoqHad5bYP-zJAZKI69EC4TfK20aZTwA-cD9zqTogY9Q

IRS is giving you an extra 90 days to file your taxes (unless you would have to pay more than a million dollars - 10 mil for businesses).

Check what your state is doing - there is a link embedded in the story for that!

And why delay if you are getting a refund!
Pages: 1 ... 1944 1945 [1946] 1947 1948 ... 4288