Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1949 1950 [1951] 1952 1953 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610935 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #29250 on: March 18, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »

Professionalism from top to bottom.

McEntee's return to the White House has roiled the administration with some officials criticizing the former Trump campaign staffer for what they see as an effort to stock the administration with his friends, including at least three college seniors. McEntee has not responded to questions on stories touching on the hires.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/opm-chief-dale-cabaniss-abruptly-resigns/ar-BB11k0TA?ocid=spartandhp

uh......

ok

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #29251 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:29 PM »

That all wrath is thrown at Trump and little at China and little at just the randomness is alarming.

Oh, blame China!!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51249208 -- January 26th
China coronavirus spread is accelerating, Xi Jinping warns

Blame China for not warning us!!!!!
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3045036/us-warns-citizens-china-avoid-animals-and-sick-people-over -- January 7th we already knew!
US warns citizens in China to avoid animals and sick people over mystery pneumonia virus

Americans travelling in China should avoid animals and contact with sick people as the country grapples with a mystery pneumonia outbreak, the US embassy in China said Tuesday.

The viral illness was first reported last week in Wuhan, a central Chinese city with a population of over 11 million, and has since grown to at least 59 cases.

Chinese health officials have ruled out a resurgence of the highly contagious severe acute respiratory syndrome virus, which killed hundreds more than a decade ago, after fears spread online that it had made a comeback.

“Be aware and practise usual precautions,” said the health alert issued by the US embassy, which urged citizens to seek medical care “right away” if they felt sick after travelling to Wuhan.

Oh, blame the Chinese.
Accurately.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29252 on: March 18, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »

You guys are pure evil.

Anyone know who he's talking to?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29254 on: March 18, 2020, 09:42:25 PM »

Anti-virals seem to be coming to the forefront to stem the tide pre-vaccine. 

I posted on this a couple days back and was met with hostility.

Stay tuned.

barton

« Reply #29255 on: March 18, 2020, 09:51:13 PM »

"Well, okay, he was incompetent before but he won't be from now on."

Seems everything has been pulled together beautifully

That all wrath is thrown at Trump and little at China and little at just the randomWness is alarming.
What are you blathering about?

https://youtu.be/GHLelReSWdY

barton

« Reply #29256 on: March 18, 2020, 10:06:08 PM »

Trump places tariffs and cuts off food exports to China...
starving Chinese search caves for food to survive...
Virus in the caves infects Starving Chinese...
Starving Chinese spread the virus world wide
Because....It's a Small World After Alll....!

FTR...The Spanish Flu of 1918 may very well have originated in KANSAS! On a US Army base
from which many young Americans were sent to France.....

Other way.   Troops are believed to have brought a virus,  originally in Asia,  from the front back to Fort Riley,  KS.   When they fell ill,  nearby Camp Funston was set up as a sick ward.   My Ma was born in that year,  about 90 miles from there.   

Only the Chinese mostly escaped Spanish Flu,  which later led epidemiologists to believe they did so because they already had centuries of immunity built up because the H1N1 was long established in domesticated mammal populations there.   Later H1N1 variants did come from China in a directly traceable path.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29257 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:43 PM »

Anti-virals seem to be coming to the forefront to stem the tide pre-vaccine. 

I posted on this a couple days back and was met with hostility.

I have no idea what you posted or didn't post, Kid, and as ever you provide no evidence of having done anything.

But your posts are greeted with hostility because you ooze claims of knowledge without supporting your claims and your claims are seldom supported by any external reality.

There are 5 antiviral treatments being discussed publicly. Only one of them even pretends to have been through a clinical study and that paper has not yet been released. No idea how many are not yet in the public eye, but I am sure there are more.

We can hope that one or more is successful, while also hoping there are no unpleasant surprises or side effects.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29258 on: March 18, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »

And another "compassionate Conservative" is heard from:
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/analysis/2020/03/18/coronavirus-sen-ron-johnson-says-keep-outbreak-perspective/5074145002/?fbclid=IwAR2gFXMZ87S9BnsQ8uDivht22B70PLxR_Y963_45bR0Ke5SN_OX_13NFing

epublican Ron Johnson of Wisconsin raised some eyebrows last week when he was quoted in The New York Times suggesting the media was devoting too little attention to the high rate of survival among people with coronavirus.   

“Right now, all people are hearing about are the deaths. I’m sure the deaths are horrific, but the flip side of this is the vast majority of people who get coronavirus do survive,” said Johnson, chairman of the Senate's Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. 

Johnson did not shy away from that kind of calculus in an interview with me Tuesday.

“I’m not denying what a nasty disease COVID-19 can be, and how it’s obviously devastating to somewhere between 1 and 3.4 percent of the population,” he said.

“But that means 97 to 99 percent will get through this and develop immunities and will be able to move beyond this. But we don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It’s a risk we accept so we can move about. We don’t shut down our economies because tens of thousands of people die from the common flu,” Johnson said.

Johnson acknowledged that coronavirus has a far higher fatality rate than the seasonal flu, but said, “getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population (and) I think probably far less,” he said.

Johnson’s comments on this issue —  “People do need to recognize the fact that this is not Ebola. It's not MERS” — are drawing some fire. Wisconsin Democrats have accused him of “playing down” the virus, which he denies.

I want to include the full context of his comments from my phone interview with him Tuesday (when he spoke from his mostly empty Senate office in Washington), so people can interpret them for themselves.     

Is Johnson saying that we’re going “too far” in trying to contain coronavirus?

“No. I don’t want to say that. I really don’t want to say that. It may be exactly what we need to do. But again, what I do want to do is put this all in perspective as we move forward here,” he said.

Aren’t the things that are hurting the economy also the policies and behaviors that are aimed at containing the virus?

“Yes,” he said. “Again, I’m not saying we’re overreacting … people need to take this seriously.”

Does he support what states are doing to limit social gatherings and promote social distancing?

“I‘m saying, ‘follow the guidelines’ ... I’m not being critical of the governors that are closing things down. … I understand it completely.  I’m just saying I am hopeful we ... can, in the end, put this all in perspective and we can get the economy back on track as soon as possible.”

Johnson disputed the idea that he is minimizing the crisis, saying he is just considering the potential costs of overreacting.

“I’m hoping when all is said and done, maybe we have overreacted. But the fact that we’re acting the way we are, I think, will really increase our chances of dropping that growth curve of this (virus). So, again, I’m not being critical of what people are doing. But we also need to really understand the costs of potentially going too far here,” he said. “But nobody knows what too far is, which is what’s so difficult about the situation.”

Johnson’s overall argument seemed to be that people aren’t paying enough attention to two sides of the coronavirus equation: that most people who have it will be OK (and not die), and that the damage being done to the economy in the meantime is massive and possibly excessive.

“We need hospitals to operate. We need grocery stores. We need distribution. We need manufacturers. We need, obviously, the people that manufacture drugs. We need our economy to continue to function. We can’t all just shut ourselves and stay home. The economy has to move forward. And again, a rational reaction to this would recognize the fact that the vast majority of people that get coronavirus will survive without much worse symptoms than a cold or a normal flu.”

What is the message here? There's a suggestion in some of these comments that the country is somehow overreacting, but Johnson says he isn't saying that. Johnson says he supports the kinds of prohibitions, cancellations and closures that are underway, but also says “it’s probably not worth shutting our economy down” over coronavirus.

“There are so many unknowns. We are all cautioning on the side of safety, which at this point of time is not a bad thing. But again, we’re are paying a huge cost for this caution we’re taking. I’m just trying to look at this very realistically,” he said.

When I told him that a lot of people will hear “getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population” as akin to saying, “It’s not that bad,” he insisted he wasn’t saying that.

“I’m having as candid and realistic a conversation with you as I possibly can,” he said.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29259 on: March 18, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »

"I feel the Covid-19 scare is politically motivated," Spell told CNN. He estimated his church hosted about 300 people for Tuesday's service.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/us/louisiana-pastor-coronavirus/index.html

Why does he feel that way? Because Trump and Fox News have sold him a bill of goods.

They're planning to bus in 600 children soon for meals.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #29260 on: March 18, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »

So mankind has to survive as best it can for about a year until vaccine is made?

Yes - until then the use of anti-virals including some being used to combat cancers will surely be beneficial.

No.

Do NOT take Kid's advice on this stuff. He is full of shit.

Moderator Voice: Kid, shut up and don't try to give medical advice here.

heh

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #29261 on: March 18, 2020, 11:30:13 PM »

You guys are pure evil.

Anyone know who he's talking to?

Look in the mirror
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29262 on: March 18, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »

So mankind has to survive as best it can for about a year until vaccine is made?

Yes - until then the use of anti-virals including some being used to combat cancers will surely be beneficial.

No.

Do NOT take Kid's advice on this stuff. He is full of shit.

Moderator Voice: Kid, shut up and don't try to give medical advice here.

heh

No, I was right.

"will surely be beneficial" suggests it is something that we can do now.

We cannot do it now.

And we (they --> the scientists) are not sure.

Do not take Kid's medical advice. He remains full of shit. He just cannot bring himself to admit it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29263 on: March 18, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »

He is also full of shit when he says that Trump is "on it."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-says-hospital-ships-heading-coronavirus-battle-navy-says-they-n1163081?fbclid=IwAR32dXpU6ruYsrbM8BwOmmJNWHiY0acSJiLRjBuFaDesZgQ-GL5yuN95pZk

Trump says they are headed to new stations... they aren't even ready to move.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29264 on: March 18, 2020, 11:41:18 PM »

“Leadership crises erupt when people who have not learnt how to obey instructions are given the privilege to give commands. Leaders are experienced servants.”
                ~~Israelmore Ayivor (2016)

Applies as well to certain posters as well as public figures.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1949 1950 [1951] 1952 1953 ... 4288