Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584088 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30091 on: March 28, 2020, 03:22:22 AM »

degeneration. 

It's weird how both Marxist collectivism and liberal democracy devolve into oligarchy.

It is not weird.
It is a myth.
Well, true I guess. Our liberal democracy has degenerated into a kakistocracy rather than an oligarchy.
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30092 on: March 28, 2020, 03:26:26 AM »

degeneration. 

It's weird how both Marxist collectivism and liberal democracy devolve into oligarchy.

It is not weird.
It is a myth.

Your usual incisive denialism sans reasoned argumentation or evidence.
I just never post the truth.

FIFY.
How clever.  When you have no response just change the wording of the argument.
You feel better for being such a coward?
Ironyman strikes again!
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30093 on: March 28, 2020, 03:27:47 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30094 on: March 28, 2020, 03:43:05 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/27/coronavirus-trump-told-pence-not-to-call-washington-michigan-governors.html

All must.worship our Dear Leader!

What a malignant narcissistic asshole.

And our resident GOP residents cannot bring themselves to even admit that Trump's "they have to treat me with respect or I won't help the US citizens who live there" bullshit is just plain wrong, no matter what anybody may think of the governors.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30095 on: March 28, 2020, 03:54:12 AM »

Now maybe China can start testing again

Uh, what for?  And who said China stopped testing.
If you have symptoms you can get tested and same day results. Been that way for months.

All people entering from overseas were being tested the past week or two and asked to quarantine for 2 weeks, as the focus switched to stopping import cases.  As dozens of import/foreign cases kept turning up daily, starting today the Chinese gov't barred all foreigners from entering (with a diplomatic exception).

I know it must be hard to imagine a gov't effectively protecting its citizens health and containing the virus.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30096 on: March 28, 2020, 04:10:47 AM »

Btw, a lot of international airlines stopped flying to China around the end of Jan and early Feb.  All American airlines, Lufthansa (I had to switch to flying Aeroflot), British Airways, Al Italia, and more.  Aeroflot was one of the last major European airlines still serving China, cutting its daily flights to Shanghai from 2 to 1 since mid-Feb.  But Russia just stopped all international flights.  Moscow a major transit hub as Aeroflot has probably the most extensive air network.

Best I can tell from the Shanghai airport website, the int'l airlines still flying in/out of China are:
Thai Air, Emirates and Etihad, Singapore, ANA, Ethiopian Air (they've grown to become a major African airline, leading them to buy the brand new Boeings and suffer the malfunction crash).  And Chinese airlines still run some international routes, mostly in Asia.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:23:14 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30097 on: March 28, 2020, 04:15:57 AM »

#trumppetgoatkatrinamarketcrash

#repubicansareallthesame

#lazymurderousbastards
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30098 on: March 28, 2020, 04:20:37 AM »

Otherwise the social distancing in the US is fine, but would be much more effective if everyone wore a face mask in public.

In China, they discourage large gatherings.  The only place that people try to keep a distance is in restaurants, when people are eating and so aren't wearing their face masks.  They try to put people at every other table and have everyone face the same direction.  Or at least that was the policy during the heart of the outbreak in Jan-Feb-early March.  Now they we've gotten the almost-clear signal and more restaurants have opened.  I read that some restaurants removed half their tables to space customers/tables out.  But I haven't looked at restaurants as I ride by on my bike.  Will need to check and report back.

With universal facemasking in China, there are no limits on the number of people in a shop at one time, or worry about spacing out lines, etc.  Though most people stay home or at work mostly and limit their public interactions.  Really the best practice would be to combine wearing face mask in public while also keeping distance from others and limiting numbers in shops and spacing out any resulting lines.  Self-isolation + face masks + social distancing.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30099 on: March 28, 2020, 05:07:25 AM »

The strict quarantine on Hubei Province was lifted middle of last week.  people are free to travel around China.
They started relaxing the strict mandatory quarantine on Wuhan city.
The quarantine is slated to end there on April 8.

Not sure how it will be done, but reportedly to leave Wuhan at that time, people need to have received a negative test result.  maybe a document you need to show before getting on a train, plane or going through a road checkpoint(?).  So China will test Wuhan people before they leave Wuhan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to test everyone in Wuhan (that's complete speculation on my part -- though, why not?).

There have been concerns some people being discharged from hospitals might receive false negatives.  And some people either getting reinfected or turning up false positive after release.

I think China is definitely concerned about a possible second wave.  But is also very eager to get the economy back on track.  Shanghai is mostly back to work and functioning, but precautions such as face masks, temp checks, no large gatherings, keeping track of who enters communities (I have to sign in with my name and mobile # and get temp checked to enter the building that houses the gym I play hoops at).  So it's a cautious and gradual back to normal being practiced here.
No idea how long we'll have to continue wearing face masks in public, but I don't here people griping about it, since they understand it helps keeps them safe.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:12:20 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30100 on: March 28, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »

The strict quarantine on Hubei Province was lifted middle of last week.  people are free to travel around China.
They started relaxing the strict mandatory quarantine on Wuhan city.
The quarantine is slated to end there on April 8.

Not sure how it will be done, but reportedly to leave Wuhan at that time, people need to have received a negative test result.  maybe a document you need to show before getting on a train, plane or going through a road checkpoint(?).  So China will test Wuhan people before they leave Wuhan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to test everyone in Wuhan (that's complete speculation on my part -- though, why not?).

There have been concerns some people being discharged from hospitals might receive false negatives.  And some people either getting reinfected or turning up false positive after release.

I think China is definitely concerned about a possible second wave.  But is also very eager to get the economy back on track.  Shanghai is mostly back to work and functioning, but precautions such as face masks, temp checks, no large gatherings, keeping track of who enters communities (I have to sign in with my name and mobile # and get temp checked to enter the building that houses the gym I play hoops at).  So it's a cautious and gradual back to normal being practiced here.
No idea how long we'll have to continue wearing face masks in public, but I don't here people griping about it, since they understand it helps keeps them safe.

I went out yesterday to scratch an itch for BBQ.

When I walked into the joint I was wearing a mask and gloves. The staff was very courteous but none were wearing protective gear.

When I got home I stripped off the gloves while in my car and put on a new pair. I took the food out of the bag and threw the bag into the trash. I put the food into a pan and tossed the containers in the trash. I put the food in the toaster oven at 300 degrees and threw away the gloves. Washed my hands and the I took a home made disinfectant wipe (alcohol soaked paper towels in a ziplock ) wiped down all the surfaces including the handle and control knobs on the oven.

Food was delicious but I won’t be eating anything I haven’t prepared for a while. Did all those precautions help? I figure they didn’t hurt.

Francel made my face mask. She is making a slew of them for the social workers at Child and Family Services Agency.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30101 on: March 28, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »

“Keep the government’s hands off my Medicare!”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30102 on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:08 AM »

Precautions are always good.  If I were older and had any health issues, I would probably use gloves too.  But you don't have to go full medical single-use.
I would try to reuse gloves and masks as much as practicable.  There still is just one planet after all.

One thing nice about gloves is it's real easy to wash them as you just wash your hands with soap and warm water with the gloves on, same as you would wash your hands without.  Boom, gloves are clean.  Take off, then wash your hands.  I've done that in the past with latex surgical gloves.  They can take perhaps a handful of washings.  But those real thin plastic gloves might not hold up.  I've never tried them. 

So far I've just used my light winter gloves.  Put them on when I'm in the grocery or big box store.  Gloves weren't commonly used here.  Though some went with gloves and protective goggles.  They've had boxes of thin plastic gloves on sale here.  Something like 60 pairs for $11.  Maybe 100 pieces in some boxes.  I vaguely considered it.

It was easy to just wear the winter gloves already in my coat pocket during the colder months.  But with Spring coming ... 

Otherwise, you should check which restaurants deliver.
Have to say if my job involved contact with the public, and a public not wearing masks at that, you can damn well be sure I'd be wearing a mask.  All it takes is one infected customer, and a restaurant worker could potentially spread it to all his coworkers and a scattering of other customers, setting off a transmission chain.

Masks should be mandatory for service workers.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #30103 on: March 28, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »

Joseph Lowery, 98, long-time courageous mf-er.

“There’s something wrong when a handful of people have more than they’ll ever need while millions of people have less than they always need.”
— Joseph Lowery
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30104 on: March 28, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »

Precautions are always good.  If I were older and had any health issues, I would probably use gloves too.  But you don't have to go full medical single-use.
I would try to reuse gloves and masks as much as practicable.  There still is just one planet after all.

One thing nice about gloves is it's real easy to wash them as you just wash your hands with soap and warm water with the gloves on, same as you would wash your hands without.  Boom, gloves are clean.  Take off, then wash your hands.  I've done that in the past with latex surgical gloves.  They can take perhaps a handful of washings.  But those real thin plastic gloves might not hold up.  I've never tried them. 

So far I've just used my light winter gloves.  Put them on when I'm in the grocery or big box store.  Gloves weren't commonly used here.  Though some went with gloves and protective goggles.  They've had boxes of thin plastic gloves on sale here.  Something like 60 pairs for $11.  Maybe 100 pieces in some boxes.  I vaguely considered it.

It was easy to just wear the winter gloves already in my coat pocket during the colder months.  But with Spring coming ... 

Otherwise, you should check which restaurants deliver.
Have to say if my job involved contact with the public, and a public not wearing masks at that, you can damn well be sure I'd be wearing a mask.  All it takes is one infected customer, and a restaurant worker could potentially spread it to all his coworkers and a scattering of other customers, setting off a transmission chain.

Masks should be mandatory for service workers.

I’m 61with scarred lungs from several bouts of sarcoidosis and I’m a type II diabetic with coronary and kidney issues. I doubt I’ll be venturing out for commerce anytime soon.
Am I being overly cautious? Maybe. Will I stop being overly cautious? Hell no.

My youngest grandkid just turned 13. My youngest daughter was married in December 2019.
There’s too much life still to be lived.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2005 2006 [2007] 2008 2009 ... 4288