Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610119 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30585 on: April 02, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »

Never mind.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/coronavirus-test-false-fda-authorization/index.html

Now this is good reporting, unlike the drivel posted by Fac.

I wouldnt discount this company totally moving forward.  I do believe them when they say there may have been some miscommunication, though of course $$ also drive this, as with everything.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30586 on: April 02, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »

Much of this is non-supported rubbish.  Thanks for the link.  Some good info in there re:  Europe.

I've only read the Vox article so far, Kid.

What's "non-supported" rubbish in it? I see a ton of rehashed items, all of which have been extremely well established. Which items did you have in mind that were rubbish?

I mean, I know you object to extrapolation that had the president acted sooner things would have been different, but even there the claim that it would have been significantly different is supported, not garbage. You merely disagree with the conclusion.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30587 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:15 AM »

Much of this is non-supported rubbish.  Thanks for the link.  Some good info in there re:  Europe.

So... if the European information is good, describing different approaches, what makes the description of Trump's and Pompeo's approach as closer to Germanic than French "non-supported rubbish," Kid?!

SUPPORT your position, please, so that others can understand what is garbage, because otherwise you are doing the same thing you accuse the authors of - "non-support."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30588 on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:49 AM »

I've only read the Vox article so far, Kid.

Was referring to the post that immediately preceded mine - the link to DCreport.org

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #30590 on: April 02, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »

Hey, Kid? You chose a funny one to say that about. It was not a projection. It was a FACTUAL representation of March, 2020.

yeah... my bad

I was really trying to take a day off

Didnt watch any coverage today

I can understand the impulse to shut off all news feed.   It might be nice to indulge in a little crisis whimsy and jesting here,  get some comic relief to help maintain our sanity.   In poetry thread,  we could try some light verse about the pandemic (I'll go post an example there later), here in politics we sometimes have the humorously inane pronouncements of public officials or oddly relevant movie clips or Onion stories or the meme art that Josh likes to drop in.   Anything is welcome,  AFAIC,  even humble and home-grown wit,  quips,  and almost-jokes.   

I like Larry's one,  yesterday, about TP and Nancy Pelosi.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30591 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:30 AM »

The GOP gutted the federal government as part of their ideology and now trying to say it’s all China’s fault
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #30592 on: April 02, 2020, 11:48:11 AM »

Next trump fuck up: the food supply

http://www.dcreport.org/2020/03/30/another-trump-screw-up-food-may-rot-in-the-fields/

I saw the Mother Jones article on this.   Not good.   And what are odds we could recruit American high school students to fill in?   In WW2, this was a nation that could mobilize in that sort of way.   Not so sure now.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30593 on: April 02, 2020, 11:51:05 AM »

The GOP gutted the federal government as part of their ideology and now trying to say it’s all China’s fault
As they say, the GOP campaigns on the idea that the government is broken and doesn't work, and then governs to prove it.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

barton

« Reply #30594 on: April 02, 2020, 12:11:58 PM »

The logical progression of right-wing ideology is Balkanization of the USA.   RSA and BSA.   

About the urns -  the large number could partly be triage patients who aren't directly dying from CV,  but are displaced from intensive care beds by CV patients.  If you're a 65 year old who had a heart attack in Hubei when the outbreak peaked,  they weren't going to kick someone with CV off a ventilator to accommodate you.   So the mortality rate from routine critical care situations was probably higher.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30595 on: April 02, 2020, 12:15:58 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-reverses-course-on-trump-touted-coronavirus-drugs

They did not exactly reverse their prior position. From the article:
“Prescribing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine without further proof of efficacy for treating COVID-19 or with the intent to stockpile the drug may create a shortage” for those patients who need the drug for its approved use, adding that “reports of this conduct will be evaluated and may be further investigated for administrative action.

It is definitely a partial reversal, but they still don't want them prescribing it to their friends and families, exclusively, which is what had been happening.

Still waiting for clinical trials to show something more!

From the European Medicines Agency, yesterday (noting that "1/4" means April 1):
https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/covid-19-chloroquine-hydroxychloroquine-only-be-used-clinical-trials-emergency-use-programmes

See next post

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30596 on: April 02, 2020, 12:37:27 PM »

Here are the clinical trials the US government is aware of regarding COVID-19:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=covid-19&term=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=

282 of them...

Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin  (vs Glucose tablets) is not yet recruiting
hyperimmune plasma is active.
Huaier Granule
DAS181
An anti-inflammatory supplement
Tocilizumab (by injection)
Anakinra
Siltuximab
Sildenafil citrate tablets
Sargramostim
Lopinavir/ritonavir

and so many more!

Not all of the 282 are for treatment, of course. Some are for tracking symptoms, for example.

And some have been retracted (Recombinant human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (rhACE2)).

But others just make me raise my eyebrows. Naproxen. "Traditional Chinese medicine." Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)!

9 of the studies are completed, but only two for treatment: One for Hydroxychloroquine, one for Ganovo+ritonavir+/-Interferon nebulization.

And 9 are underway. Among them are one on ACE inhibitors and another on "Nitric Oxide 0.5 % / Nitrogen 99.5 % Gas." There are also Hyperimmune plasma, Lopinavir/ritonavir, Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine, and "YinHu QingWen Decoction plus YinHu QingWen Decoction(low dose)." The others are not really about treatment.

That only six clinical trials are underway is discouraging to me. I'd hoped that we would have more going by now.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30597 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:52 PM »

It's your right to be an asshole.
Ah.
Insults.
How predictable.
As welcome to me as spinach to Popeye.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKj7PcJI14
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #30598 on: April 02, 2020, 12:54:06 PM »

Regarding a trending thing I've seen where women are using their bra cups to make face masks....

https://www.insider.com/women-making-coronavirus-face-masks-out-of-their-bras-2020-3

IMO that's simply replacing one kind of boob with another.   Doesn't seal well at all.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30599 on: April 02, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »

Here are the clinical trials the US government is aware of regarding COVID-19:
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=covid-19&term=&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=

282 of them...

Hydroxychloroquine + Azithromycin  (vs Glucose tablets) is not yet recruiting
hyperimmune plasma is active.
Huaier Granule
DAS181
An anti-inflammatory supplement
Tocilizumab (by injection)
Anakinra
Siltuximab
Sildenafil citrate tablets
Sargramostim
Lopinavir/ritonavir

and so many more!

Not all of the 282 are for treatment, of course. Some are for tracking symptoms, for example.

And some have been retracted (Recombinant human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (rhACE2)).

But others just make me raise my eyebrows. Naproxen. "Traditional Chinese medicine." Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT)!

9 of the studies are completed, but only two for treatment: One for Hydroxychloroquine, one for Ganovo+ritonavir+/-Interferon nebulization.

And 9 are underway. Among them are one on ACE inhibitors and another on "Nitric Oxide 0.5 % / Nitrogen 99.5 % Gas." There are also Hyperimmune plasma, Lopinavir/ritonavir, Recombinant Novel Coronavirus Vaccine, and "YinHu QingWen Decoction plus YinHu QingWen Decoction(low dose)." The others are not really about treatment.

That only six clinical trials are underway is discouraging to me. I'd hoped that we would have more going by now.
Yes but Teump mentioned one of them as effective, a conclusion he reached with no scientific evidence at all so it is important to some people that their DEAR LEADER be right in all things. So it works, damn the need for testing, full speed ahead and fuck the rest of that shit.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.
Pages: 1 ... 2038 2039 [2040] 2041 2042 ... 4288