Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1609191 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3225 on: September 25, 2018, 04:11:08 PM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/25/17901304/lisa-murkowski-kavanaugh-accusers-swing-vote

Murkowski says it is not about his judicial qualifications anymore, but about whether one believes women when they come forward about sexual assault.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: September 25, 2018, 04:12:13 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/25/uk/brexit-labour-conference-second-referendum-intl/index.html

Meanwhile, in what I consider extremely good news...

the chances of a 2nd Brexit vote improved considerably today.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: September 25, 2018, 04:13:21 PM »

Had a feeling some here would dodge the implications of "Renate alumnus" - so let me review....

1. Kava and 14 football pals took a locker room sexual boast and had it printed on their yearbook pages.

2.  "Alumnus" is a lewd slang for "had sex with, " derived from its literal Latin meaning (which is why the term was coined by Catholic schoolboys).

3. Georgetown prep still requires two years of Latin.  And likely did so in the 80s.

4.  We are considering someone for the position of SCt justice,  a job that will involve rulings on issues of law and the Constitution as they pertain to the civil rights of women.

Should Renate,  or any citizen of the USA feel okay about the above?  If you have a daughter or niece who is or was in high school,  how do you view the phrase "[insert her name here ] alumnus" printed in the yearbook entry of a young jock?   Looking forward to thoughtful responses to my question.

Good luck getting honest feedback from Redd. Kiid granted that the those kids sounded pretty nasty.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: September 25, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »

Had a feeling some here would dodge the implications of "Renate alumnus" - so let me review....

1. Kava and 14 football pals took a locker room sexual boast and had it printed on their yearbook pages.

2.  "Alumnus" is a lewd slang for "had sex with, " derived from its literal Latin meaning (which is why the term was coined by Catholic schoolboys).

3. Georgetown prep still requires two years of Latin.  And likely did so in the 80s.

4.  We are considering someone for the position of SCt justice,  a job that will involve rulings on issues of law and the Constitution as they pertain to the civil rights of women.

Should Renate,  or any citizen of the USA feel okay about the above?  If you have a daughter or niece who is or was in high school,  how do you view the phrase "[insert her name here ] alumnus" printed in the yearbook entry of a young jock?   Looking forward to thoughtful responses to my question.

Of course the yearbook stuff is slimy.

Is it disqualifying?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/25/17901304/lisa-murkowski-kavanaugh-accusers-swing-vote

Murkowski says it is not about his judicial qualifications anymore, but about whether one believes women when they come forward about sexual assault.

Meaning what?  Vote against so that Ms Ford and others will be believed?  Seems to be a disconnect - sorry.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: September 25, 2018, 04:33:02 PM »

Is it disqualifying?

It seems to be circumstantial evidence that gives some light to his high school days, and that Brett was more than just a scholar-athlete, and that he is not being perfectly candid or truthful

Taking the words of others, in particular his college roomate, he was an aggressive and belligerent binge drinker and a drunk.

Upon hearing Dr. Ford, I will hold judgement whether he's likely also a serial sexual predator.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:34:39 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: September 25, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »

Is it disqualifying?

In isolation? Maybe not.

In combination, it could be. It adds weight against him.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: September 25, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

Meaning what?  Vote against so that Ms Ford and others will be believed?  Seems to be a disconnect - sorry.

No.

Meaning that if we believe her, we must vote against him.

The disconnect is yours, as Redd would say.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: September 25, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »

Is it disqualifying?

It seems to be circumstantial evidence that gives some light to his high school days, and that Brett was more than just a scholar-athlete, and that he is not being perfectly candid or truthful

Taking the words of others, in particular his college roomate, he was an aggressive and belligerent binge drinker and a drunk.

Upon hearing Dr. Ford, I will hold judgement whether he's likely also a serial sexual predator.
I'm not sure she'll able to be to establish whether he's serial predator.  But establishing that he did it once I think would be disqualifying (except if he was running for President).
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: September 25, 2018, 04:42:50 PM »

I said, Is the yearbook evidence disqualifying?

A simple NO will do.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: September 25, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

No.

Meaning that if we believe her, we must vote against him.

I dont have a problem with this.

I also dont believe there is more than a 50% chance she will even show up.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: September 25, 2018, 04:50:26 PM »

The yearbook stuff shows a person, even given the excesses of youth, that I don't picture as a Supreme Court Justice.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »

A simple NO will do.

Unless the yearbook had a clear admission or photos, why would it in isolation be disqualifying?

However it certainly suggests that the choirboy image BK porttrayed of himself on the Fox puff piece interview was false.

He was lying.

But thanks for cutting to the quick and making the case that a real investigation is necessary if truth is the goal.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: September 25, 2018, 05:02:20 PM »

A simple NO will do.

Unless the yearbook had a clear admission or photos, why would it in isolation be disqualifying?

However it certainly suggests that the choirboy image BK porttrayed of himself on the Fox puff piece interview was false.

He was lying.

But thanks for cutting to the quick and making the case that a real investigation is necessary if truth is the goal.

Give me the statement that is a lie.

Did he say he didnt drink beer at Prep?

Did he deny that the stuff in the yearbook existed?

What lie, exactly?

Played football, concentrated on grades..........etc

And didnt assault anyone.

You are calling that last one a lie simply because of the yearbook and the knowledge of daily life at Prep. 

This is irresponsible.

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 4288